• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Basically confirms that the PS5 will run very hot. While liquid metal isn't significantly more expensive than traditional thermal paste, a) liquid metal is a pain to keep in place long term, hence the patents (and subsequent R&D costs) and b) when you're planning to make millions of units, every dollar counts. Sony wouldn't use liquid metal if they thought they could get away with cheaper options.
No, it confirms it won't run hot because of the engineering in the cooling. Cerny himself said GPU clocks are power and timing limited, not thermally.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
AMD CPUs don't require deliding, so liquid metal can easily be used on them if the user really wants it.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
5c993918849a1858176cc694ee3c354a.gif

yall, this shit costs like $10

and that's for consumers. Companies would get it at much lower costs.

$10 for consumers + in a whole tube.

Sony's only applying how much is needed.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
People are hearing "liquid metal" and assuming some crazy stuff without any knowlege, just like how people heard "liquid cooled vapor chamber" when the Xbox One X was announced and began making wild assumptions just because it sounded exotic and they didn't know that it's just the same cooling solution used in an average laptop.

Yep. I get that many here don't really follow tech (especially PC tech) outside of consoles, but lol these posts sometimes... I swear.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
except it's not? it's not groundbreaking new tech like it's being presented here

literally anyone can go out and buy this stuff
Who the hell said groundbreaking new tech other than you right now? This is fucking fantastic for consoles and so much more efficient for heat transfer. It is very much special compared to regular thermal paste.

Theworld

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 6, 2020
If you can bet on anything, it's Gamernexus reliability when it comes to hardware announcement. They know.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't delid and it's not that drastic compared to a good thermal paste. I oc to 5ghz and have used both with a small difference in performance.
Depending on your CPU, you might need to delid in order to get the most out of liquid metal. A lot of Intel CPUs use cheap thermal paste between the die and IHS, and that's going to greatly limit the effectiveness of any TIM used between the IHS and heatsink, no matter how exotic.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Who the hell said groundbreaking new tech other than you right now? This is fucking fantastic for consoles and so much more efficient for heat transfer. It is very much special compared to regular thermal paste.

hopefully that ends up being the case

Depending on your CPU, you might need to delid in order to get the most out of liquid metal. A lot of Intel CPUs use cheap thermal paste between the die and IHS, and that's going to greatly limit the effectiveness of any TIM used between the IHS and heatsink, no matter how exotic.

this is my understanding of the more general use-case of liquid metal, there's almost no difference unless it's applied to the die itself

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
I don't delid and it's not that drastic compared to a good thermal paste. I oc to 5ghz and have used both with a small difference in performance.
So have I with but with a big difference in overall system temps, noise and stability. It is much better if applied correctly than regular paste or high performance thermal paste. To get the most out of it, you MUST delid.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Liquid metal is dope. I have it on both my PC and PS4 Pro and it works great. 6-7 degrees might not sound impressive but it's enough to make my PC run silent under load.

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
Yeah I know delidding can provide a performance boost it also scares the shit out of me. I only have the courage to Lapp my CPU and cooler... Lol

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
If they don't want a repeat of the PS4, the bigger issue is they have to use a higher quality thermal paste. IMO what's happening with most PS4/PS4 pro nowadays is the paste drying up and not effective in transfering heat from board to HS. I've fixed some PS4 heat issues and the paste is ALWAYS dried out.

It's actually the same symptoms of tower fans in PCs that are hitting over 80c when they shouldn't.

edit: This topic has me really curious at the Xbox X thermal paste solution, unfortunately I havn't seen any.

Last edited:

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Basically confirms that the PS5 will run very hot. While liquid metal isn't significantly more expensive than traditional thermal paste, a) liquid metal is a pain to keep in place long term, hence the patents (and subsequent R&D costs) and b) when you're planning to make millions of units, every dollar counts. Sony wouldn't use liquid metal if they thought they could get away with cheaper options.
I think it confirms the design philosophy of the PS5 APU. Lower core count at higher clocks and system designed around it. I imagine that it costs less than a larger APU.

PS5 GPU runs at 20+% faster than the series X. Maybe these few dollars gave them ~20% more performance.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
it's a delicate problem, how do you prevent it from leaking and ruining the surrounding components??

"imma put sum glue 'round it, roooight 'ereee"

GENIUS

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018

Makes sense given that Sony is highly automating the PS5 production.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No, this confirms the opposite (if it's true). Liquid metal can drop temperatures compared to normal thermal paste by 10-20 degrees in some cases.
No, it confirms that the PS5's APU is running very hot, otherwise Sony wouldn't bother with liquid metal, and instead they would use cheaper and easier thermal paste.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
this is my understanding of the more general use-case of liquid metal, there's almost no difference unless it's applied to the die itself
I'm pretty sure in cases where the IHS is solderd to the die (like most AMD CPUs and i think the most recent gen of Intel CPUs) it'd be perfectly effective without a delid. It's just that Intel cheaping out and using paste for the IHS is why delidding and liquid metal became so popular in the enthusiast space.
it's a delicate problem, how do you prevent it from leaking and ruining the surrounding components??

"imma put sum glue 'round it, roooight 'ereee"

GENIUS
It's not THAT absurd. I've seen more than a few people simply apply some nail polish on the PCB around the die to avoid any liquid metal potentially leaking out and frying something.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure in cases where the IHS is solderd to the die (like most AMD CPUs and i think the most recent gen of Intel CPUs) it'd be perfectly effective without a delid. It's just that Intel cheaping out and using paste for the IHS is why delidding and liquid metal became so popular in the enthusiast space.

the 10-20c figure that people are throwing around is not what you'd get out of a properly TIM'd CPU with a regular cooler compared to thermal paste

those figures are most likely sourced from folks who delidded due to Intel's shitty TIM between the die and IHS, as you said.

Shion2

Aug 3, 2020
This is good, but Asus has been using Thermal grizzly conductonaut on their Zephyrus line of gaming laptops for quite a while. How do you qualify for a patent if you are not the first one to do so?

Nov 2, 2017
Not sure what you test you did but it's way better than thermal paste.
Let's not overexagerate. It's 2-3 degrees better than good quality thermal paste.

www.guru3d.com

Guru3D Thermal Paste Roundup 2019

Thermal paste is an often-overlooked part of most computer setups. You can simply use the pre-applied stuff, or the thermal paste that comes with your motherboard, and still get reasonable processor t... Air Cooling for i9 [email protected] GHz 1.35V

No, this confirms the opposite (if it's true). Liquid metal can drop temperatures compared to normal thermal paste by 10-20 degrees in some cases.
That must be some shitty thermal paste or someone who puts the entire tube of thermal paste between the CPU & cooler. I wouldn't say those cases are normal.

Last edited:

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
No, it confirms that the PS5's APU is running very hot, otherwise Sony wouldn't bother with liquid metal, and instead they would use cheaper and easier thermal paste.
Maybe? Sony (and a lot of PS4 customers) already weren't happy with the PS4's cooling solution, so even assuming the PS5 uses exactly the same amount of power as the PS4, Sony was going to change it up. That they've gone this far does suggest the PS5 woud've run hotter if Sony hadn't changed anything.

This is good, but Asus has been using Thermal grizzly conductonaut on their Zephyrus line of gaming laptops for quite a while. How do you qualify for a patent if you are not the first one to do so?
The patent isn't about using it, it's about how to contain it.

Let's not overexagerate. It's 2-3 degrees better than good quality thermal paste.

www.guru3d.com

Guru3D Thermal Paste Roundup 2019

Thermal paste is an often-overlooked part of most computer setups. You can simply use the pre-applied stuff, or the thermal paste that comes with your motherboard, and still get reasonable processor t... Air Cooling for i9 [email protected] GHz 1.35V
To be fair, it's not like Sony was using the best thermal paste before. :)

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Well it won't be hotter than usual with liquid metal. It confirms the APU is indeed clocked very high, and that those clocks are meant to be sustained most of the time.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What's the difference to liquid metal on PCs? I do not understand how something that is being used for decades in the PC market is suddenly being patented.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

They're not literally patenting the use of liquid metal. Just their design for a structure for keeping it in place.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
What's the difference to liquid metal on PCs? I do not understand how something that is being used for decades in the PC market is suddenly being patented.

As someone already answered above, the patent isn't for liquid metal or for using the liquid metal, it's for a special cooling system designed to contain the liquid metal within it and keep it from leaking out.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, we know you're putting horizontal to hide the disc drive bulge. /s

I'm doing that, anyway.

Funnily when they showed the DE I thought that looked ok vertical. But then later I saw a shot of it horizontal and it looks a bit odd - regular seems ok with the drive giving it some 'base' almost.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
At low thermal density it didn't seem to be worth it. I remember a tests many years ago (when it was a new thing, at $50 for the kit) with a <100W CPUs which barely have one degree difference. So on a large SoC and low clock like the launch PS4 you'd get almost no advantage. However the PS5 is an idea candidate, lots of watts on such a small die.