• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
This patent makes too much damn sense given the clocks the system was designed around. I might even get one at launch instead of couple of months down the line cause I'm a fucking believer after I delidded my own CPU & been using liquid metal for around 3 years now. It is sooo much better than regular paste imo for higher clocks, ambient temps & stability. Purring like a kitten, whisper quiet too. Y'all don't even know!

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
5c993918849a1858176cc694ee3c354a.gif

yall, this shit costs like $10

and that's for consumers. Companies would get it at much lower costs.

Haha - sorry, the solution isn't anything like I thought it actually was.

This made me laugh.

This is why you sometimes see articles on the merits of using Vegemite, peanut butter, or other decidedly non-standard substances as thermal pastes.

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
the cooling solution being more expensive ("a few dollars" instead of "less than one") was mentioned by that Bloomberg report that said the BOM was at 450 dollars, so people implying this will make the console 599 dollars aren't making much sense

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Hopefully the liquid metal doesn't corrode the die or other components (or just some strange chemical reaction that nobody planned for).

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
Liquid metal isn't the patent, that already exists. I believe they are patenting the apparatus that holds it in place. The news is that they would be using liquid metal as a heat conductive material for the PS5.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Damn, so I'm reading this might have a 10-20 degree Celsius impact. That's substantial.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
5c993918849a1858176cc694ee3c354a.gif

yall, this shit costs like $10

and that's for consumers. Companies would get it at much lower costs.
People are hearing "liquid metal" and assuming some crazy stuff without any knowlege, just like how people heard "liquid cooled vapor chamber" when the Xbox One X was announced and began making wild assumptions just because it sounded exotic and they didn't know that it's just the same cooling solution used in an average laptop.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't what they call it, what otsmade of.. as long as it keeps PS5 cool. I got my Pro balancing on 4 Blu ray cases keeping the underside cool, got it in an open area where the AC hits it and clean it regularly. It's quieter like that.. than without any of that. If I put it in my case.. it's terribly loud.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Like other said it is only a few dollars more than thermal paste after there is constraint with heatsink which can't use aluminium and the need to build the cooling system being sealed with no metal liquid leaking.
Hopefully they have a way to apply it and seal it completely without human intervention. This doesn't look simple to automate in a production line.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
And ya know, can use it for several ps5s. Itll cost like $2-3 per ps5 if that
Most likely only a dozen cents per console, a single drop out of a big ass vat of liquid metal. Vast majority of that "few bucks more expensive cooling" will surely go to a beefier cooler. Well, the assembly line will have to be longer to manage more complicated procedure of applying liquid metal and safeguards.

PS4's coolers were so small and shitty.

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Weirdass reactions happen though.

The stuff definitely works, but there's more risk to it than standard thermal paste.

You're acting like the chemistry around gallium is unknown. As long as they don't use any known reactive materials there is no problem. They aren't stupid enough to do this. Asus laptops have no issues.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
TBH, this is the exact opposite direction than I'd thought they'd go. Figured we'd be moving to graphite pads to reduce cost in application.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully they have a way to apply it and seal it completely without human intervention. This doesn't look simple to automate in a production line.

Twas posted in the other PS5 thread, but Asus started using it in some of their higher-thermal laptops this year, and they came up with a machine to do it. So it is possible.

www.extremetech.com

Asus Will Use Liquid Metal Thermal Paste in Its Laptops - ExtremeTech

Asus will adopt liquid metal thermal paste on its Intel 10th Gen laptops, to improve cooling temperatures -- and help handle the heat.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Basically confirms that the PS5 will run very hot. While liquid metal isn't significantly more expensive than traditional thermal paste, a) liquid metal is a pain to keep in place long term, hence the patents (and subsequent R&D costs) and b) when you're planning to make millions of units, every dollar counts. Sony wouldn't use liquid metal if they thought they could get away with cheaper options.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Ok putting mine horizontal - not taking any risks with it potentially sinking over time if vertical

also - time to release the tear down video Sony

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
You're acting like the chemistry around gallium is unknown. As long as they don't use any known reactive materials there is no problem. They aren't stupid enough to do this. Asus laptops have no issues.
Biggest problem with liquid metal cooling is keeping it in place. You don't have to worry about corrosion.

Just saying there is more of a risk than using standard thermal paste. Especially if they're planning to sell 10 million of these systems in a short amount of time.

I'll say this - it's brave. It would be a brave move for Sony.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
Yes this is a patent of the system to keep the liquid metal to leak. I could have been more precise.
It's all good, it's pretty exciting stuff. I thought at the very least both next gen systems would use graphite pads to avoid getting dried out paste. If they do use liquid metal for the PS5 that will really help keep the temps down.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
Just saying there is more of a risk than using standard thermal paste. Especially if they're planning to sell 10 million of these systems in a short amount of time.

I'll say this - it's brave. It would be a brave move for Sony.
That's what this patent seems to solve. So I would say innovative solution instead of being brave, time will tell if it works out for them or not.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
What's the benefit - more efficient thermal transfer? So suggesting the chip will run hot and therefore they'd also need a large/effective cooler too to receive that heat?

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A minimum of 10-20 celsius reduction in overall temps is nothing special LOL. You heard it here first, folks.

except it's not? it's not groundbreaking new tech like it's being presented here

literally anyone can go out and buy this stuff

Nachtmaer

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder why Sony would go for something relatively expensive as this. Obviously the better thermal conductivity is going to shave off some degrees, but there has to be something more to it than just that. Usually the preapplied TIM from factories for GPUs or what Intel uses for their non-soldered CPUs isn't that horrible. Mounting pressure, uneven heatsink surfaces and TIMs spreading out over time due to thermal cycling is what causes most of the thermal problems (assuming the rest of the setup is fine).

Perhaps this solves a bunch of those. You won't need that perfect of a finish on your heatsink or mount it as tightly and have less fuck ups during assembly. No idea what the "longevity" of liquid metal is though as I haven't personally used it. Maybe it'll last longer with that whole containment setup. Just spitballing here though.