• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Falcom has a market capitalization of about $113.3 m, so about half of the Insomniac.
The shareholders will probably want some instant profit, so negotiations would probably start at US$135 million at minimum. Bluntly, I don't think Falcom makes big enough games for anyone to stump up that kind of money.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
a Public company may cost more (350+M)

iirc Matt said before Public Company sell at twice their current price..

so i don't think Sony or Microsoft will go for them and maybe work on exclusive contracts which will be cheaper
I don't believe I've ever said that....companies generally sell for more than their public value (because you have to make it worthwhile for the owners), but double would be pretty extreme.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
People who think this is a low price don't understand that the real value is in owning IP, something Insomniac had very little of.

Frost1800

Dec 3, 2019
The shareholders will probably want some instant profit, so negotiations would probably start at US$135 million at minimum. Bluntly, I don't think Falcom makes big enough games for anyone to stump up that kind of money.

I agree. I kind of hope that SIE would just contract them to make a title. As shown by YS 8 and 9, Falcom makes some great story and gameplay but lacks budget.
However, after the failure of WKC, SIE probably is not interested in this sort of thing any more.

d3ckard

Dec 7, 2017
Money well spent. One of my favorite studios, IMO way better than overrated ND. Very convincing reason to buy PS5.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Spider-Man 2 will recoup the investment alone.
Will it? They don't actually make $59.99 per game, especially since Spiderman has seen a lot of bundles and it's been on sale a lot. Add in the cost of developing a new one too. Definitely a worthwhile investment, but one game isn't going to recoup the cost.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have access to some specific data or public available info from past transaction?
For comps, I have my team pull data from SDC Platinum, which is the Rueters M&A/funding acquisition database. I've not worked on a gaming specific deal in a bit, but they're around there (and a re-pull would take time to dial in and pull again). They're always on a range though. If you wanted a more public facing database, you could check out Crunchbase and compare purchase amounts to Owlers revenue estimates, although that's *super* spotty and I dunno if the free version can do that easily.

Because of the discussion here I looked up falcom, they are worth roughly 113m dollars, if we go by Matt saying that publicly traded companies will usually require twice the value to acquire that means that it would cost just about the same as insomniac to acquire them, not as cheap as many were thinking and definitely not worth it for the price.
Basing it off current security information, Falcom is worth closer to ~75M(usd), as their enterprise value is considerably less than their market cap.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
GrippingScientificAustraliankestrel-size_restricted.gif

lmao

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also the "that seems low" sentiments seem... strange?

Developer acquisitions like this are always pretty risky, especially when there's no real valuable IP coming along with it. I have to assume there's some long term contracts in place for the main talent because otherwise you could just have an exodus and you've paid hundreds of millions for an empty shell.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
For comps, I have my team pull data from SDC Platinum, which is the Rueters M&A/funding acquisition database. I've not worked on a gaming specific deal in a bit, but they're around there (and a re-pull would take time to dial in and pull again). They're always on a range though. If you wanted a more public facing database, you could check out Crunchbase and compare purchase amounts to Owlers revenue estimates, although that's *super* spotty and I dunno if the free version can do that easily.

Oh i know. Just wanted to know if you used data from the industry or just available on the internet. Thanks for your input.

( Btw I'm just starting interviews for IB position. I'm (not) ready for the madness eheh )

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Seems like a very reasonable price on Sony's part. They'll make that back in 1 game alone.

JaxJag

Oct 28, 2017
I'm surprised people feel like 229 million is cheap when Insomiac who's been around for 25 years doesn't have any valuable IPs they own. It actually sounds like Sony probably over-payed.

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
For those wondering, M&A valuations are typically either a multiple of some baseline financial metric (ie, X times revenue/Y times EBITDA; Y>X; for classical games studios, I've seen X be around 5-9) or a more complicated formula based on projected future earnings and capital structure. While something higher wouldn't have been shocking, I'm also not too surprised to see this price.

What about non-classical game studios such as Playground Games? MS didn't disclose ammounts, so my guess is PG was around 100-150M (3-5 x 30M estimated revenue) for instance.

Anyways, that's a nice get for a nice price.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
No one else was going to buy them.
That's so odd. They've been a quality developer for years and years. If it really was just one interested party saying take it or leave it, then that may explain the price. Oh well, they've got the security they need now and Sony got a helluva bargain.

Oct 27, 2017
That's lower than Respawn and Insomniac was way bigger at that time and with more IPs.

I mean, you're not wrong but the IPs Insomniac owned were practically worthless in the grand scheme of things. Sony did not acquire them because they were clamouring to own the likes of Sunset Overdrive, Song of the Deep or Fuse. All the successful stuff Insomniac has ever worked on has belonged to bigger corporations.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Instead of buying a classic studio and a VR studio separately, they got both in one buy.

Deleted member 63478

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 31, 2020
That's so odd. They've been a quality developer for years and years. If it really was just one interested party saying take it or leave it, then that may explain the price. Oh well, they've got the security they need now and Sony got a helluva bargain.

I don't think it was a "take it or leave it" situation but more of a "we gel well together and you offer isn't that bad" type of deal.

I wonder how much ms paid for Obsidian and ninja theory.

Out of the studios that MS brought, the only one I see commanding over $200 million is Playground due to their continued success.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
They ditched spiderman? Didn't Sony own the videogame IP for Spiderman after Activision?
Also we don't know the full circumstances to determine whether selling rachet was a good or bad decision for them.
You're reading the conversation wrong, what that person is saying (I think) is that if Insomniac had been acquired by anyone other than Sony they would have lost access to Ratchet & Clank and Spider-Man.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
They ditched spiderman? Didn't Sony own the videogame IP for Spiderman after Activision?
Also we don't know the full circumstances to determine whether selling rachet was a good or bad decision for them.
You're reading the conversation wrong, what that person is saying (I think) is that if Insomniac had been acquired by anyone other than Sony they would have lost access to Ratchet & Clank and Spider-Man.

Yeah that's it :P

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
While Sony already owned Ratchet & Clank and Resistance, neither franchise would flourish without Insomniac Games. So, while they didn't acquire any important franchises, they invested in and strengthened ones they already owned. The reason we haven't seen a Resistance game this gen (what is this "burning skies" you are talking about) is probably that Insomniac were working off for Phil and Mark. We had one rushed Ratchet & Clank game this gen compared to over half a dozen last gen. Thanks to this investment, Insomniac can keep those borderline dormant franchises alive. And hopefully make more new IPs and Spidey.

So, I'd argue that they did sort of gain some important IPs from this acquisition. A dead IP is not valuable.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, two questions: How do you pay most of that in cash? And why would you do that?

Feb 10, 2018

I see.
I still think more money from MS or Sony would of be the better outcome for them, however they got a pretty good deal getting $229 mil, being part of PlayStation and working on spiderman.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Oh i know. Just wanted to know if you used data from the industry or just available on the internet. Thanks for your input.

( Btw I'm just starting interviews for IB position. I'm (not) ready for the madness eheh )
Ah ok. I've also used 451 Research, which is specific to tech deals, and CapIQ, which is your all-rounder for financial info. They're both less intense/less comprehensive than SDC though. Have fun with the interviews! Memorizing DCFs formulas and all that.
What about non-classical game studios such as Playground Games? MS didn't disclose ammounts, so my guess is PG was around 100-150M (3-5 x 30M estimated revenue) for instance.

Anyways, that's a nice get for a nice price.
I'd still put Playground is a classical studio - by classical, I mean "primarily makes single sale games", as opposed to, say, a company which gets a substantial part of their revenue from engine sales or mobile or has a huge GaaS contingent. Still, I'd say that range isn't impossible, since there was probably less shopping around given their history.