• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
For those wondering, M&A valuations are typically either a multiple of some baseline financial metric (ie, X times revenue/Y times EBITDA; Y>X; for classical games studios, I've seen X be around 3-7) or a more complicated formula based on projected future earnings and capital structure. While something higher wouldn't have been shocking, I'm also not too surprised to see this price.

Last edited:

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
That really is a steal. Compared to the $350m MS paid for Rare in 2002 for example.

But Insomniac owned little of its own IP. FUSE and Sunset Overdrive aside. So little value there which may be why so cheap.

One of my favourite developers and a great move for both parties IMHO.
Yep it's more of an investment in talent

Sony can provide them the IP to develop between Spider-Man and Ratchet and Clank, and Insomniac can develop new IP for PS5 or PSVR

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
That seems low? I guess cause they don't really own IP and it would just be the building, studio, engines and stuff?

Yeah, Sony one all their IP ironically. Funny how it works out.

essentially Sony have bought a machine with a great culture that produces great content.
It must be really hard to start from scratch and have such a large scale creative production work in such a way that is conducive to building great games.
m

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
So an acquisition of remedy will probably cost at least as much as insomniac if not more, yea safe to say it won't be happening until after they make a game together
a Public company may cost more (350+M)

iirc Matt said before Public Company sell at twice their current price..

so i don't think Sony or Microsoft will go for them and maybe work on exclusive contracts which will be cheaper

Raider34

Banned
May 8, 2018
United States
Something tells me Disney tried to go around Sony and just buy Insomniac? And Sony did the smart thing and locked them down.
I think Sony & Microsoft better try to lock down their second party relationships before Google & Amazon start spending we are about to see a gold rush for development teams soon.

I just hope that Console guys and PC guys don't lose some of their favorite teams and be forced to play Stadia all due respect but Cloud gaming is for being out on the run or at break from work. I don't think I want to sit there at home and use it at least for the foreseeable future.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Is that a better question?

You seem to have answered it in the same breath.

If you're making the point that they have different value to different publishers, and a higher value to Sony than to others, then I agree. That's the only value that matters for this transaction, though.

Dozens of posters have expressed their surprise at the low acquisition price. My point is that Insomniac has not experienced great success outside of its partnership with Sony. Thus, they are more valuable to Sony than other publishers on the market. However because of this fact, Sony doesn't need overpay for their services or their IPs. They aren't really competing with anyone else but themselves.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I'm surprised Ms didn't offer them $300 Mill.

Without Spidey or Ratchet they would have never offered them anything close to that. And without those games, Insomniac is literally screwing themselves over in any buyout.

People need to realize that Insomniac is a very large studio with two different locations and they simply can't give up those series and enter into a new venture with a new owner. This is why they remained independent to begin with, they still needed Sony in their business operations but wanted options to work with other partners as well. A buyout that would cut them off from their PlayStation relationship was never going to happen, so it was either be bought by Sony or remain independent.

Oct 25, 2017
People: That's cheap

Ted Price:

0d1a71fc48fde7bfe84b49fec4720e27.gif

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They both got lucky. Considering Spider-Man went on to become the fastest selling PS4 game, Insomniac would have made a huge mistake leaving that behind after the success they just had with Sony. Think of how much money Spider-Man has made, and will make again in the future. They're going to be swimming in money.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
a Public company may cost more (350+M)

iirc Matt said before Public Company sell at twice their current price..

so i don't think Sony or Microsoft will go for them and maybe work on exclusive contracts which will be cheaper
Companies don't benchmark selling at double their current public price. Some do, but the vast majority do not. That would imply a very large debt balance and significant control premium. I could very well see pricing Remedy for around what was paid for Insomniac.

Last edited:

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
Something tells me Disney tried to go around Sony and just buy Insomniac? And Sony did the smart thing and locked them down.
Not likely. Disney shut down most if not all of their gaming divisions. I believe even recently they handed over a gaming project to someone outside Disney. They don't want the headaches of game publishing.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
Companies absolutely do not benchmark selling at double their current public price. Some do, but the vast majority do not. That would imply a colossal debt balance and significant control premium. I could very well see pricing Remedy for around what was paid for Insomniac.
i'm not expert and read only about it but remedy owns IP and engine and both won't be cheap

but again i'm not expert so that's why i Taged Matt

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
The TitanFall IP is bigger than Ratchet & Clank or any other IP owned by Insomniac.

Isn't Sunset Overdrive the only IP they owned anyway? That was the reason they took a step back from Sony in the first place, they were vulnerable due to having nothing to their name .

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
i'm not expert and read only about it but remedy owns IP and engine and both won't be cheap

but again i'm not expert so that's why i Taged Matt
That's fair; I adjusted my post to be a little less...bombastic.

I also wrote a primer here as to how this stuff works and is valued!

In essence though, you'd look at the enterprise value for a company, which can be shorthand determined by looking at [Market Cap+Debt-Cash]. That's not all there is to it, but that's a quick an easy way of determining it. This is the EV, which is then given a control premium, typically in the range of 20-30% based on comps.

While Remedy no doubt has a solid value, it's done more wholistically (usually) than trying to piece together single assets/IPs. At least, when going for a full on control sale.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
At the time when EA bought them, Titanfall was worth way more than Sunset and Fuse(lol). Titanfall 1 was huge for a platform exclusive new ip.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spider-Man 2 will recoup the investment alone.
That's much less than I thought it would be. A sequel to Spiderman can get most of if not all of the investment back.
One Spiderman will recover all this money.

I read a report over on the comic/marvel reddit and forums that Sony as a publisher made over 150 million from Spider-Man in it's first 3 days. I'm guessing that by the time they sold 5 million they recouped on the investment.

For context Spiderman is at 13 million sold as of the latest report.

Oct 25, 2017
Dozens of posters have expressed their surprise at the low acquisition price. My point is that Insomniac has not experienced great success outside of its partnership with Sony. Thus, they are more valuable to Sony than other publishers on the market. However because of this fact, Sony doesn't need overpay for their services or their IPs. They aren't really competing with anyone else but themselves.
Ah, got it. Sorry, I didn't read it that way initially.

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
People realize Sony still need to pay Insomniac's wages and bills, right? It's not like Insomniac will build Spider-man 2 for free. My understanding is that every AAA release costs tens of millions today, and GTA V needed a budget of $265 million.

They have essentially paid $229m for exclusivity and the power to tell Insomniac what to work on, but they have to pay a lot more to actually make any games and see any profit.

That said, it's probably still a worthwhile move, as their exclusives strategy put MS in a really tough spot, so much so that they had to reverse course and acquire all the studios they have been going after.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
That's gotta be the best or among the best deals that a publisher has made for a developer.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Because of the discussion here I looked up falcom, they are worth roughly 113m dollars, if we go by Matt saying that publicly traded companies will usually require twice the value to acquire that means that it would cost just about the same as insomniac to acquire them, not as cheap as many were thinking and definitely not worth it for the price.

EDIT:
Seems like Matt didn't say that, so the price will be lower than insomniac, still more expensive than it's probably worth

Last edited:

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
For those wondering, M&A valuations are typically either a multiple of some baseline financial metric (ie, X times revenue/Y times EBITDA; Y>X; for classical games studios, I've seen X be around 5-9) or a more complicated formula based on projected future earnings and capital structure. While something higher wouldn't have been shocking, I'm also not too surprised to see this price.
Do you have access to some specific data or public available info from past transaction?