• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
The better question is, what value did Insomniac have? Unquestionably they are an immensely talented studio, that have done great things with Sony IPs, but to be fair haven't had much success on their own.

stepee

Jan 29, 2018
Insomniac has always felt like part of Sony to me so this is one acquisition that actually made me happy to see. And it would have been bad if anyone else bought them out instead as they have beloved ips Sony owns and we know they will give them the budget their games deserve. And I especially wouldn't trust anyone else to do Spider-man right, they understand movement feel so well.

I'm pretty sure all sides are pretty happy with this deal.

MangoUltz

"This guy are sick"
Mar 24, 2019
Damn that's a great price. Almost makes me think Insomniac didn't have great representation/advice

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much confirmed that relationship trumps money, otherwise MS could've outbid Sony easily.

And BTW Sony does have quite a bit of cash on hand.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, it was an EA propriety
Wiki:
They sought funding from EA through the EA Partners Program. West and Zampella will retain the rights to all intellectual property produced by them in the future.
Articles:
www.eurogamer.net

Respawn registers trademark for Titan

Respawn Entertainment, the studio founded by Call of Duty co-creators Vince Zampella and Jason West, has registered a t…
www.latimes.com

Jason West and Vincent Zampella's new call of duty

Jason West and Vincent Zampella's new call of duty
www.engadget.com

Respawn Entertainment announced by ex-IW heads, partnering with EA

digg_url = 'http://www.joystiq.com/2010/04/12/respawn-entertainment/'; We learned on Friday that ousted Infinity Ward co-founders Jason West and Vince Zampella planned to have an announcement "very soon" concerning their "creative future" – and now, at 9am ET the following Monday, they've...
uk.ign.com

Infinity Ward Founders Developing A 'Big Blockbuster' - IGN

The first title from Infinity Ward founders Jason West and Vince Zampella is going to be a big one. The two discuss their newest publishing deal with EA in an interview with IGN this morning.
They all say Respawn owns all developed IP as part of their partnership with EA.

EA to Acquire Respawn Entertainment | EA Press Room

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA) announced today an agreement to acquire Respawn Entertainment, LLC, a leading independent game development studio and creators of AAA shooter and action games including the critically-acclaimed Titanfall™ franchise.
EA says:
Leading Development Studio Brings Top Talent & Award-Winning Titanfall IP to EA's Portfolio...
.... Titanfall is a trademark of Respawn Entertainment, LLC.
In their press release for the Respawn acquisition.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Seems like a good deal.

Falcom must be like $99.99, come on Sony.

Ryan to the mere thought of buying a Japanese studio:

ImpressiveElatedComet-size_restricted.gif

He wouldn't get one for free.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Would have thought Insomniac would have been worth quite a bit more than that.

The purchase would have paid for itself post Spider-Man anyway.

Amazing deal.

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
They bought mainly talent and I guess you could also say the infrastructure at Insomniac? Does seem that low in all honesty. Lack of IPs involved in the deal is reflected in the price.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great deal. I'm sure their relationship was a big factor here. For a long time I assumed Insomniac was already a part of Sony.

Oct 25, 2017
Spider-man PS4 is waaaaaaay too fucking important for Sony.

Insomniac and Spidey are a match made in heaven.

Sony losing Insomniac for any reason would be extremely detrimental (honestly, who else could Sony get to take over?).

In all likelihood, Spider-man 2 will probably easily pay off Insomniac price. Nevermind Ratchet and their experience in VR as well.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
I think so, public ownership companies always get a boost when there's rumbling that someone wants to buy them.
Not only that but you need to consider a premium for the shares + the net debt position. Defining a final price for a company is a very long process that is influenced by many many factors.

Deleted member 63478

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 31, 2020
Oh damn, they actually are a publicly traded company. Didn't know that.
It surprised me as well when I first found out.

Not only that but you need to consider a premium for the shares + the net debt position. Defining a final price for a company is a very long process that is influenced by many many factors.

Thank you for correcting me, I really didn't know that there's a ton of factors to think about when buying a publicly owned company.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
It seems like a studio's worth is directly tied to the IPs they own. Pedigree and size are part of it, but IP seems like the biggest factor.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
So as of Nov 2019, Sony now owns all its legacy devs:

Insomniac (2019)
Naughty Dog (2001)
Sucker Punch (2011)
Bend (2000)
Guerilla Games (2005)

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bargain considering you've likely got the next R&C coming and Spiderman 2 is a shoe in. They'll make crazy money off spidey 2 alone

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
At first glance it might seem low, but we need to take into account that Insomniac didn't really have any big IPs and no games outside of the PS platform that have sold a lot. They tried to go multi platform but they found very limited success.

Respawn on the other hand, had a lot of multiplatform potential.

Oct 25, 2017
The better question is, what value did Insomniac have? Unquestionably they are an immensely talented studio, that have done great things with Sony IPs, but to be fair haven't had much success on their own.
Is that a better question?

You seem to have answered it in the same breath.

If you're making the point that they have different value to different publishers, and a higher value to Sony than to others, then I agree. That's the only value that matters for this transaction, though.