• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
I wonder how much MS spent on Ninja Theory, PlayGround, Double Fine and Obsidian? Those were the biggest of the ones they bought.

As for Insomniac, that was a fair price due to lack of IP owned. It's a good idea to keep them with Ratchet, Spidey, Resistance, etc. instead of risking and Spyro and having the games fall into the wrong hands.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That low for Insomniac? What, were they planning to save some pocket money for Platinum or Housemarque?

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Also sounded on the low side to me, but then I Googled a bit, and well, prior to Spiderman, that would have been actually a high price imo. And since Spiderman is not an Insomniac IP, I don't see why Sony would have needed to pay more than they did.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine Insomniac not owning Ratchet & Clank, Resistance, Spider-Man and Spyro kept the price low. Feels like it was meant to be tbh. Insomniac made some great games for non-Sony platforms but they didn't find commercial success. They've come home after a (commercially) failed adventure. Looking forward to seeing what they're doing next. It feels like it's time for sequels but I hope they can do a new IP on the side of Ratchet, Spidey and Resistance.

Sony must have made hundreds of million from Spider-Man alone tbh so Insomniac sort of paid for the acquisition themselves.

Last edited:

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
People seem to have very warped ideas as to studio value.

This is one of the biggest payouts in a long time.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Wow, I'm guessing it was that low because of the lack of valuable owned IPs? Because that price seems like a steal.

Oct 28, 2017
rWswEMd.gif

Shake your money maker
Like somebody 'bout to pay ya
I see you on my radar
Don't you act like you afraid of shit
You know I got it
If you want it, come get it
Stand next to this money
Like, eh, eh, eh​

just give them money and let them do whatever they want Sony

Oct 26, 2017

Honestly i thought more than Respawn.

I mean Insomniac was bigger at that time and they were bought after Spider-Man, Respawn had 0 IPs and they were much smaller prior to EA acquisition, after Apex Legends and SWJFO made a bank their price skyrocketed and EA made a good investment but i always thought Insomanic price was higher.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I think this might have been defensive acquisition, maybe they were bombared with offers and Price went to Sony first for old time's sake and told them it is now or never.

Super Barrier

Nov 20, 2017

getyarn.io

- Try a grand. - Then you overpaid.

Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo (1999) clip with quote - Try a grand. - Then you overpaid. Yarn is the best search for video clips by quote. Find the exact moment in a TV show, movie, or music video you want to share. Easily move forward or backward to get to the perfect clip.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017

I mean Insomniac was bigger at that time and they were bought after Spider-Man, Respawn had 0 IPs and they were much smaller prior to EA acquisition, after Apex Legends and SWJFO made a bank their price skyrocketed and EA made a good investment but i always thought Insomanic price was higher.
Didn't Respawn own the Titanfall IP?

OP
OP
Kolx

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017

Didn't Respawn own the Titanfall IP?
edit: beaten.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

I'm pretty sure Respawn owned Titanfall. They were just partnered with EA.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
$229m, with goodwill, is a fair price. Insomniac's value rests largely on series that PlayStation owns and their independent efforts haven't produced anything nearly as big as Spidey or Ratchet.

For Sony it was money well spent though

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Less than I thought considering the size, talent and variety. But Insomniac did not own noteworthy IP's inhouse despite delivering classics with partners.

They are a perfect fit with Sony though:
Mainly big AAA singleplayer, adventure/platformers, open-world and Virtual Reality.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
When they buy the studio do they also have long term contracts for the employees or are they just buying the ips? Not that anyone is planning to leave but how do you retain the talent other than making it a place you want to work at?

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
While this is an interesting thing to know, kinda disappointing that this is the biggest story of the day.

At least Dreams reviews are coming I guess and some people will be having fun with the game tomorrow while the others wait. -_-