• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Month or so ago 505 Games got rigtfully criticized for their Control Ultimate decision not to offer upgrade for PS4 owners. They did do it in worse way by saying that it is not technically possible, but that doesn't make Sony approach to casually announce Spider-Man Ultimate edition and stays silent for PS4 upgrade path less annoying.

Sony should in my opinion lead by example and at least offer upgrade path for 1st party games if they don't want to offer free ones. But if much smaller companies including indie games can do it Sony could also do it.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Totally agree but I'm not shocked since it didn't happen with CONTROL. It doesn't make it any better, but it is what it is I guess.

shancake

Managing Editor ‑ Press Start
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I thought they were offering it? I know it's been confirmed for MM, but surely PS4 owners of the original game will get the upgrade too?

Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales also supports a next-gen upgrade path, so even if you aren't ready to upgrade to PS5 just yet, there's nothing stopping you from buying the PS4 version and enjoying the game alongside everyone else at launch. While it doesn't have the enhancements made possible by the console in the PS5 version, the game still looks beautiful on PS4 and PS4 Pro, and you can rest easy that when you do make the jump to PS5, the game comes with you.

Ghost Slayer

Oct 30, 2017
edit: oh, so they actually offer free upgrade for Spider-Man. Well, I blame their communication sucks ;)

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I thought they were offering it? I know it's been confirmed for MM, but surely PS4 owners of the original game will get the upgrade too?

Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales also supports a next-gen upgrade path, so even if you aren't ready to upgrade to PS5 just yet, there's nothing stopping you from buying the PS4 version and enjoying the game alongside everyone else at launch. While it doesn't have the enhancements made possible by the console in the PS5 version, the game still looks beautiful on PS4 and PS4 Pro, and you can rest easy that when you do make the jump to PS5, the game comes with you.

You can play it on PS5, you don't get Remastered version.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Kinda feels like the whole thing had been geared towards getting folk to buy it again. If it had been released already for PS4 then it would have been much more difficult.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

I believe the OP is referring to the original Spider-Man game which is getting a remaster for PS4 that only comes with the Ultimate Edition of Miles Morales.

Oct 28, 2017
Edit: NVM, OG Spidy huh

I thought they did? IF you owned it digital and even the people with the disc but can't remember the extra step they had to take . I think. SHINOBI TWEETED ABOUT it

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They'll do it because it'll sell.

No it's not consumer friendly I guess but these companies aren't our friends.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
My understanding is that the remastered 60fps spiderman is exclusive to ps5, you don't get any of the improvements when playing your spiderman ps4 copy on ps5

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, the blog post mentions an upgrade path to MM but not for Spider-Man Remastered.

Their messaging is all over the place.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

That Miles Morales - Not the original PS4 Spiderman. If you want to play Spiderman PS4 on PS5 you can either play it through BC on PS5 (without the endhancements) or pay for the ultimate edition of Miles Morales, to play the original game's new PS5 enhanced version.

shancake

Managing Editor ‑ Press Start
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That Miles Morales - Not the original PS4 Spiderman. If you want to play Spiderman PS4 on PS5 you can either play it through BC on PS5 (without the endhancements) or pay for the ultimate edition of Miles Morales, to play the original game's new PS5 enhanced version.

I just don't think we've seen confirmation either way on the original game, but would love to be proven wrong, as I've been scouring confirmation for the last few hours.

Frag Waffles

Apr 7, 2018
Yep it's horseshit. Just a way to sell people more remasters.

I had the lowest expectations for backwards compatibility, and I suppose they were about accurate.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
You get proper PS5 version for Miles Morales, you don't get base game Remastered. If you buy Spider-Man PS4 or you already have it you can play it on PS5 but you are not getting Remastered version.

Where is this confirmed, can you source please.

I don't see any messaging of the kind of Insomniac's twitter. And honestly, I don't see any reason why if you own Spider Man PS4, you don't get the 'enhanced' version on PS5 since they're already including it with a Miles Morales package.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't Control just an upres? Based on the description, Spidey Remastered redoes models and seems like it's a lot more than just a resolution bump. It's also only $20.

It's not they will include raytracing (different from PC RT) and some other tweaks for Control. And Spidy upgrade is not 20$ it is 70$ because you can't get is as separate purchase.

thebigword

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, this is Control all over again. I was about to buy the GOTY edition since it's on sale right now, but I guess I won't buy this either.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020

This reads to me like backwards compatibility only.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Right now my understanding is this:

buy PS4 Miles Morales -> Free PS5 Miles Morales upgrade
buy PS4 Miles Morales Ultimate edition (I think there will be PS4 version of the Ultimate too?) -> PS5 Miles Morales + PS5 Spider-Man Remaster
buy PS5 Miles Morales -> Just PS5 Miles Morales
buy PS5 Miles Morales Ultimate edition -> PS5 Miles Morales + PS5 Spider-Man Remaster

There's no clear message yet if you have PS4 Spider-Man whether you can get free upgrade to PS5 remaster or not.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Yeah this is a big deal. This is a Sony exclusive we are talking about. It's their call. I bought Spider-Man on release and got the Season Pass shortly thereafter. I don't think I'll pay another cent for this game. Talking specifically about Spider-Man, the first game.

GenericJoe

Oct 27, 2017
As far as I can tell there's no way to get the PS5 version of the original game without also getting Mile Morales. They really need to offer either a free/paid upgrade path for those that own the base game on PS4 but don't necessarily want Miles Morales.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Right now my understanding is this:

buy PS4 Miles Morales -> Free PS5 Miles Morales upgrade
buy PS4 Miles Morales Ultimate edition (I think there will be PS4 version of the Ultimate too?) -> PS5 Miles Morales + PS5 Spider-Man Remaster
buy PS5 Miles Morales -> Just PS5 Miles Morales
buy PS5 Miles Morales Ultimate edition -> PS5 Miles Morales + PS5 Spider-Man Remaster

There's no clear message yet if you have PS4 Spider-Man whether you can get free upgrade to PS5 remaster or not.
An "upgrade path" doesn't mean MM will be free.

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
First party not doing it is BS. People would be willing to pay $5-10 for the upgrade path. That should at least be an option.

Oct 30, 2017
Only 2 years to one of Sony best sellers and you got to pay for the remastered upgrade for Spider-man, yeah it's garbage.

Forearm_Star

Oct 25, 2017
I think they're not being criticized because they haven't outright said "no you have to buy it again" once they do then expect people to be rightfully annoyed.

Folks are pretty vocal about the lack of proper messaging though.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We haven't got confirmation one way or the other. Let's just wait a bit.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they clarify for this and some other first-party games (TLoU2, GoT, Dreams) soon. Not free is always a huge bummer but I hope there's at least a reasonable upgrade path even if it is paid.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
We haven't got confirmation one way or the other. Let's just wait a bit.

Yeah, not sure why some of y'all are quick to throw Insomniac/Sony under the bus.

Let's wait a few hours, they will probably address these questions, right now there is no information on what happens to PS4 copies of Spider Man 2018 on PS5.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed, this should be a free upgrade for existing ps4 owners. Not doing so is extremely disappointing.