• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TuMekeNZ

Oct 27, 2017
Auckland, New Zealand
Consistently deliver games I just have to play. I don't think they have done that for me since the start of this gen.
I stuck with them up until just over a year ago but that was mainly due to most of my friends gaming on the system. Now that MP games don't interest me as much and many of my friends have left the ecosystem too, I have no reason to go back. Especially since the foreseeable future has near zero games coming. I mean next year there are no AAA games coming from them! WTF?!!
And yes I know they have purchased a heap of new studios but most are ones that haven't really given me a game I loved previously and who knows how long until we see anything. Ninja Theory's new game is not for me at all.
I fear all we will get is XGP filler rather than epic new experiences. Prove me wrong Xbox as I have loved the system for many years and would love a reason to go back.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'll be going PS5, and I have more interest in Nintendo as a compliment to that, so i'm not your target market. But I could guess.

Most people who own a PC aren't going to get an Xbox, Now maybe it's better for Microsoft to release on PC, even on Steam, and get the extra sales, and exclusive soley-Xbox content doesn't pan out as being as lucrative. Fine, keep that stuff coming to PC and make your money on the side. But here's my pitch, (some of which they are already doing anyway).

There is a convenience battle brewing between Switch, Apple and maybe Stadia - it may end up taking some of the low end out of the traditional console market, and that's a hard battle, I say instead go after the high-end medium and even the low-end PC people with a vengeance - that's a much easier battle. While some people use gaming laptops, there is a serious lack of 'appliance' in that sector.

The battle for the living room TV is mostly played out and Xbox does well here conceptually (albeit it's behind the PS4 and maybe even the Switch now). The Living room PC is incredibly niche and not really going anywhere, PC's strength is still monitor/desktop.

Lot of kids play their consoles on a monitor or small tv, maybe a desktop, in their bedroom these days - so I say... be a little bit more like a PC (as an option). In terms of storage and online play and OS - of course consoles have already made strides here. And clearly with super fast SSD's and much faster CPUs promised, we are going to eliminate what in my opinion is the biggest current bottle neck with consoles - not GPU power, but load times and frame-rates.

So lets try going for something that's a little bit more PC, something that maybe would cover the bases of maybe not all, but a percentage of PC gamers -

(these are not things I would personally have traditionally petitioned for a console to do, I like the appliance nature of it, but I'm answering the question about what could MS do)
  • 1st class Keyboard and Mouse support - already kind of happening with certain current gen titles, separate matchmaking pools and cross-play
  • The ability to have edge browser on there and use it with keyboard and mouse.
  • Hell, allow booting to Windows...cut down edition. Potentially run office or some basic apps.
  • Do what you can do to get League of Legends and World of Warcraft on there (or similar low-end, but popular PC titles).
  • Do what you can to get strategy games on there - a small genre, but why not if the specs are there and keyboard and mouse support is a given.
  • More streaming tools for influencers - if the average joe can get a streaming setup going that looks 80% as professional as people on PC with fancy expensive setups on second computers, it'll be used heavily.
  • 120hz (HDMI 2.1) options for certain fast paced titles

I think all that is do-able mostly, and of course there are things like emulation and modding that will never belong on console, but these other things would chip away at the list of advantages, while of course having none of PC's disadvantages in interface, setup, maintenance.

So yeah, make your console, still a console, but take over some of those PC advantages in your appliance. Make building a desktop seem too much of a stretch/effort - because it already is for anyone who is older/married/kids. I might consider an appliance I can play strategy games, or fast paced high framerate FPS mouse/keyboard games on. If it's just another console, I'll stick with PS5 or whatever.

Nostaligia alert - I remember the 360 launching with Kameo and Gotham Racing making my own and my friends medium/high spec PC's look like cumbersome white elephants. Let's see this happen again, because last gen was too safe and it didn't really achieve this outside of exclusive first party titles.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Being a fan of Rare's N64 era output, I already have a soft spot for even just the name Rare. I want to try Sea of Thieves, but I need more content that speaks to me. Unrelated, but I also loved Fable 1 on PC. So if I see a quality effort to reinvent BK and Fable on Scarlett I'll probably jump in.

Once im in the ecosystem I'll go ahead and give some other games a go that I'd otherwise probably not follow (Gears, Halo).

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I bought an XBOX One X just for the novelty of the thing. This time last year they had that incredible double barreled deal at Gamestop where you could trade any PS4 for a ton of extra money towards any xbox and you could buy RDR2 and get 100 bucks off of a system. I had a free PS4 and a ton of games given to me so I ended up paying about one hundred dollars for the system after I traded in RDR2 that night. I beat exactly one game on it, Ground Zeroes, because I had Game Pass for free. My six year old nephew had fun with Forza Horizon. The next time I intend to play anything on it will be BC XBOX/360 games.

It would have to be a situation at least as interesting as how I got the 1X for me to get the next system, or one of about five sequels/remakes possible that would get me to buy a system sight unseen.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Nothing. I don't have enough time to play the games available on the PS4 I own. An Xbox would collect dust and nothing else.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
Man, the MS hate is strong.

I'm hoping MS turns around next gen with some killer 1st party games b/c obviously that the X1 biggest draw back.

Besides exclusive content, which I agree is a big deal, MS has made all the right moves this generation. And with them acquiring a handful of quality studios, they'll hopefully able to pump some great must have games. But even then there's the "I can just play it on PC." So it's a lose-lose situation when you ask people.

Schaft0620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2 E3's ago I was putting my shoes on to go to Gamestop to pick up an X right as MS was starting only to find out the sale on XBox Ones was a fake leak that even GS fell for. At the end of that conference, Phil Spencer announced a new console. I thought for sure would be out on 2020 now I wasn't so sure.

I was going to buy an Xbox One X to play PSO2/Cyberpunk on before the new console launch. I'm worried about performance of the PS4 Pro, wouldn't mind something to trade in when PS5 comes out. I really liked gamespass. None of the bundles were for me and while black out drunk I bought Stadia so I guess that's my Cyberpunk platform (cheaper anyway). I also spent hundreds in Japan while out for TGS. So now I'm getting Outer Worlds on PS4 today.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I've never been able to get through a console generation without owning all the platforms. I think they all bring something different and are refreshing from each other. I would have never wanted to miss - Gears 5, Forza 4 and Ori on Xbox. On Nintendo though it is always my least played platform Mario Odyssey and BOTW were both must play games.

2 E3's ago I was putting my shoes on to go to Gamestop to pick up an X right as MS was starting only to find out the sale on XBox Ones was a fake leak that even GS fell for. At the end of that conference, Phil Spencer announced a new console. I thought for sure would be out on 2020 now I wasn't so sure.

I was going to buy an Xbox One X to play PSO2/Cyberpunk on before the new console launch. I'm worried about performance of the PS4 Pro, wouldn't mind something to trade in when PS5 comes out. I really liked gamespass. None of the bundles were for me and while black out drunk I bought Stadia so I guess that's my Cyberpunk platform (cheaper anyway). I also spent hundreds in Japan while out for TGS. So now I'm getting Outer Worlds on PS4 today.

Ha.
Most of the Stadia purchase were made during Octoberfest.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Buy exclusive games/ make them not timed exclusives, JRPG's, more Forza Horizon.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
I mostly just play JRPG's and they've not had a home on Xbox's platform for such a long time (though more and more games are coming to PC which is great).

At this point I'm too invested in Sony's ecosystem that I just don't even see myself switching since I'm already happy with what I'm offered. I'm also invested in Nintendo since I've enjoyed their exclusives for as long as I've lived.

However, when it comes to choosing what system to recommend for any friends who are getting into gaming, I usually tell them to go to Xbox simply because Gamepass is such an incredible deal.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
Honestly, with all their consumer friendly moves lately, their buddy-buddy relationship with Nintendo this year, and Phil Spencer's "hey we haven't been doing well but I want to change that, here's how" attitude, they're pretty close to converting me for next gen (I'm actually a bit torn, and this is considering that both consoles are backwards compatible and I skipped this current gen, which means I didn't even play most of what Sony put out this gen).

Compelling software with variety is what I'm thinking. The reason I avoided them for so long is that most of their image seemed to be "MAN games! for MEN!". I never saw them as having much in the way of games for me, and this is considering they were the ones who bought Rare (who are responsible for a lot of my favorite games, and I think the lack of anything compelling from them really sealed the deal). I want to see what the fruits of their studio acquisitions will be, and I'm really interested in seeing what they'll be like.

Or they could just make a platforming/collectathon-focused Banjo-Kazooie sequel. Even if it comes to Switch too, I'll preorder the next Xbox immediately once they announce it. Just make the damn sequel already, guys, you know it's what we (...I) want!

Disposition

Nov 5, 2017
If Microsoft would just let their first party studios take all the time they need, to make the game they want. It would have better exclusives. Instead they scoop up studios, force them to make cash grabs quickly, and they either can the studio or everyone good leaves (Ensemble, Lionhead, Rare,) they even made bioware rush the first mass effect. I'm really hoping nextgen will be different with Spencer there and all the new studios. Oh yes, also stop losing your devs on your best franchises and try to keep the franchise afloat with terrible terrible sequels (Halo, Gears)

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
I have all three platforms. I barely touch my Xbox One. I need more compelling and varied exclusives. Don't get me wrong, I love Forza and Gears of War, but that's just not enough.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
the OG xbox got sega DC ports early, and built a steady library of western/PC ports that were interesting and many times exclusive, if not just the best version

360 came around with a great platform, custom soundtracks (i really can't overstress how much i miss these) and exclusives from JP devs, lead format for others, etc...if i wanted some crazy way of the samurai type shit last gen, it was on 360, and for years, they had the better version. they pretty much had any game i was interested in that sony didn't have locked down.

look at their library this gen. there's next to none of that, just stuff i can usually get for cheaper on steam or exclusives that pander to the same crowd. it's so boring, for me.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Exclusives that are reminiscent to the early Xbox 360 days. Man, I can't stress enough how good of a get Obsidian is for them, cause they honestly might push me to buy into their ecosystem.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
They did it with the X and put out a powerful console that is whisper quiet. It also has one of the best made controllers in the Elite. I hope Sony follows suit next gen with a first party elite type controller and pay more attention to fan noise. I don't care if the console is bigger as long as it's not nearly as loud as my PS4 Pro.

CJCW?

Oct 27, 2017
As far as PC, I pop into game pass whenever there's an exclusive I'm interested in, but otherwise I don't buy their games outright at all.

Xbox though, I don't see any reason to buy one as long as their games still come to PC.

Deleted member 46429

Self-requested ban
Banned
Aug 4, 2018
I don't know realistically what they can do.

I mean, ideally, they'd have every major jrpg release and an exclusive library that exceeds their rivals. But fire Emblem is locked to a Nintendo, Falcom isn't leaving Sony, and none of MS' first party titles have interested me.

It's just I know that isn't going to happen.

_Malus_

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Xbox needs more exclusive software, I care about.
PS4 has big ones like God of War, Uncharted, Last of Us 2, FFVIIR (for now), Until Dawn etc. All big multiplatform titles release on PS4, as well.
Ori and Cuphead are now out on Switch, so not much reason for me to own an Xbox.

As Switch & PS4 owner, there's just no reason at all to go for an Xbox1 and I will not change my mind next gen.

Mr.LightMan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I already use the platform as I think it compliments the Switch nicely. I do wish Microsoft's studios put out more games I find enjoyable. The new acquisition does make me excited for their next console though.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have real exclusives. If this happens, and they put a lot of effort into those exclusives next gen, then I'll buy the next Xbox. I know they acquired some good studios recently, but they'll be developing those games for PC too.

As it stands, PC gets everything Xbox has, so I don't really have a reason to buy an Xbox. I wouldn't buy a PS4 either if all those games were on PC.

It kinda sucks that it has to be this way, but most people aren't going to buy a game twice. Games are expensive and there's no point in that anyway.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
EDIT: Hey, I wasn't clear enough, but I'm considering the PC as part of the Xbox platform (because it is).
Even if you don't engage with MS ecosystem at all and not buy their software? That seems a bit - loaded phrasing.

Anyway - at this stage I'd be interested in their hw if they come up with something portable/hybrid. Console - if they want me actually engaging with their software platform.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
exclusive games that appeal to me more than exclusive sony games. right now there really isn't any xbox franchise that will get me to choose the next xbox over the sequel to horizon or days gone.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
A third Banjo game or some other gotta-have-it exclusive like Cuphead or Ori... which are no longer exclusive.

So, a third Banjo game. That's about it. More high-profile Japanese games would really help too, but then again, I have a Switch and PS4 for that, so...

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
You buy these boxes to play games on them.

I think the most appealing Xbox for me was the OG Xbox because of how awesome Halo was. I never got into Gears and they have not really captured me with a game since then other than Cuphead which can be played on other platforms.

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately nothing for me. I bought an Xbox 360 early on because of games like Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia, Blue Dragon, Infinite Undiscovery, Star Ocean 4, Eternal Sonata, and Last Remnant. Obviously not all amazing games but they are far more interesting than what their focus has been since the early 360 days. And then even if they were to start having those types of games, I don't have faith they'd stop supporting them like before.

Game Pass seems like a great deal, but doesn't have the new releases and genres I care about at all.

Tl;dr Japanese Software

Brainiac 8

Oct 27, 2017
It's all about what they can bring to the table first party-wise. Sony and Nintendo both have a pretty killer slate of first-party franchises that I love which is why I pretty much stick to a Nintendo/Sony duo each generation.

It makes it harder because the one company Microsoft has that owns franchises I enjoy is rare and they are kind of mostly ignoring their IP. To top it off the couple of first-party games that Microsoft has that I have some interest in are all being released on the switch.

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
Japanese software on portable hardware I can play without internet connection. I don't consider a laptop portable.

Oh, and exclusives worth a damn. Gears and Halo have zero compelling features for me.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gamepass sold me on the platform, I wont buy the platform next gen due to their quality of games and lack of 3rd party support compared to others but i'll probably get Nextbox when it's 3 years plus in and a lot cheaper with gamepass like this gen or just stick with PC. Xbox is negligble personally, it's great that gamepass is on PC

SheriffMcDuck

Oct 27, 2017
The last Xbox game I bought was Fable: The Lost Chapters.

I mostly play games on PC now, but don't play any MS games. The biggest thing for me is making games that interest me, and I'm a big RPG fan. Obisidian has a chance to make a game that I really want, and so does Playground if they reboot Fable.