• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Since we just learned that Yakuza 7 saves on PS4 won't transfer to PS5 if you do the upgrade, this brings into question all the other games that are upgradeable. Cross-Save was a thing for Cross-Buy titles going back to the PS3. I'm assuming in this situation, Sony is leaving it up to the devs, which doesn't surprise me, but it'd be good to know which games support it and which games don't. At the very least, it'd be nice knowing the first-party games situation.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gunna be honest here..I never thought for a second my saves would carry over to the next generation.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
I do think Sony needs to clarify this stuff. It doesn't help that even journos are getting confused and spreading a bit of imprecise info in the wake of Sony's silence.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gunna be honest here..I never thought for a second my saves would carry over to the next generation.
So you expected to have to replay all of your PS4 games from the beginning? The saves are stored in the cloud, it should be very doable for them to transfer over if Sony's engineers accounted for it.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017

I mean they 100% do on the Xbox.. even if it was an original xbox game running in back compat it will pull it forward.

So some clarification from Sony would be nice.. I want to move on from my PS4 cleanly.

Oct 28, 2017
User Warned: Thread Whining
Do they have to? Just finish your games on the console you started it on if you can't, or just start anew. You could also just delay playthroughs until you've got your new console.

I'm so tired of threads like this already. Way too much actual discussion gets shoved out of sight because of things like this.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
They need to clarify lots of things. Letting the internet speculate whenever something is revealed is not good

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
That's fair, but with Sony supporting PS5 upgrades on select PS4 games, it'd be nice if they could clarify what the situation is with saves. There's a lot of misinformation being spread and their silence isn't really making it any better.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
you could have just kept it at " Sony needs to clarify …" haha. These consoles are so mysterious. hopefully we get more info from the youtubers.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely. Even when I think about it as a new SKU it doesn't make sense. If Vita can do it then PS4 to PS5 can do it.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
There is nothing to clarify. Unless developers put in their own dedicated cloud saves (not PS+ cloud saves) saves will not be cross-gen.

Cross-Save was a thing for Cross-Buy titles going back to the PS3. I'm assuming in this situation, Sony is leaving it up to the devs, which doesn't surprise me, but it'd be good to know which games support it and which games don't.
This is the exact same situation as with PS3 cross-save.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Whelp, guess I'm restarting any games in-progress. Or not bothering to touch my PS4 anymore.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
PS4 saves should work on PS4 games.

As for PS4 saves on PS5 games, that would likely be on a game-by-game basis. Marvel's Avengers for example will let you transfer / convert your save data from PS4 to PS5. Think of it like PS4/3/Vita's cross-save, where not every game had it and it was up to developers to implement.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Sony needs to clarify a lot of things lol

BC boost mode
UI

Are still nowhere to be seen.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

One of the key reasons publishers are providing these free updates is to get people to buy now, but they're thinking of upgrading console shortly. So you're likely buying and upgrading within 3-6 months of launch. Being able to continue your save is a pretty basic expectation I'd have thought?

And its not like this is new to sony - they've had cross save for *years*

If they can't do this, I question why even bother with the upgrade. Just buy it on PS4 and finish it (then play in BC mode which should have save game compatibility) or just buy it on PS5.

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Do they have to? Just finish your games on the console you started it on if you can't, or just start anew. You could also just delay playthroughs until you've got your new console.

I'm so tired of threads like this already. Way too much actual discussion gets shoved out of sight because of things like this.

Just because you're tired of it doesn't mean that these aren't reasonable concerns.
My Monster Hunter World save has over 800 hours and it's not a game that you just finish and then stop playing. And I am definitely not starting fresh again.

edit: just noticed MHW should be fine since it's "only" BC

Indy_Rex

Banned
Sep 20, 2020
So you expected to have to replay all of your PS4 games from the beginning? The saves are stored in the cloud, it should be very doable for them to transfer over if Sony's engineers accounted for it.

Uhhh, this only applies to cross-gen games. I don't think they expected to replay all of their PS4 games from the beginning b/c... you won't have to replay all of your PS4 games from the beginning. This doesn't apply to BC?

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Since we just learned that Yakuza 7 saves on PS4 won't transfer to PS5 if you do the upgrade, this brings into question all the other games that are upgradeable. Cross-Save was a thing for Cross-Buy titles going back to the PS3. I'm assuming in this situation, Sony is leaving it up to the devs, which doesn't surprise me, but it'd be good to know which games support it and which games don't. At the very least, it'd be nice knowing the first-party games situation.

Maneater also don't have cross save with the PS5 patch.

If my MHW save doesn't carry over it will be a sad day indeed.

That one should work, because it's BC. It's the PS4 games upgraded to PS5 versions with a patch that has the save transfer issue.

Of course they have to, they patch a PS4 game to make it a PS5 game... and can't patch the save state too? come on. It doesn't make any kind of sense.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Unless they both have separate trophy list, we have save files that are tie to your psn account now, why wouldn't it work? What about desinty 2 and other gaas that will be available on next gen?

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
That's not what this thread is about. It's about the upgrade of games from PS4 to PS5 and those saves not being compatible. PS4 saves are expected to work with PS4 BC games on PS5.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I assume for PS4 games on PS5 they'll cross over.

But not for upgraded PS5 games.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017

As for PS4 saves on PS5 games, that would likely be on a game-by-game basis. Marvel's Avengers for example will let you transfer / convert your save data from PS4 to PS5. Think of it like PS4/3/Vita's cross-save, where not every game had it and it was up to developers to implement.

Yeah, this seems like the likeliest outcome here.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
I do think Sony needs to clarify this stuff. It doesn't help that even journos are getting confused and spreading a bit of imprecise info in the wake of Sony's silence.

Well spider-man is a remaster with new trophies so it makes sense, unless your talking about miles morales. Idk how the Yakuza 7 stuff is being done yet though.

Im wondering if its related to a separate ps5 trophy list.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It's nice to have an upgrade path but not many people are going to be willing to start over in a 40+ hour game just to get the prettier version. at least you can continue with the BC version.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely expected to carry all my save files with me from PS4 to PS5.
Absolutely terrible if they don't carry over. Imagine games where you have tons of unlockable stuff (like for example osing your progress in say Monster Hunter World). Sony should get behind this and reveal what's what.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
I mean yes they should, and maybe they will...sometime that isn't less than an hour after we learned about this issue for Yakuza.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
There is a lot of stuff about PS5 that is still under wraps.

But yeah cross saves is an interesting one... as a none PS+ player am I basically screwed? not sure how else they get around that short of a system file transfer.

Oct 25, 2017
UK NW
I can understand Spiderman since that's not offering an upgrade, and they're treating it like a whole new game. I don't really expect cross-saves at this point.
I guess we'll see if this is going to be a common issue.

Spider-Man isn't the same game (same game file, same trophies and etc).
Okay thanks for the info.

Spider-Man (respect the hyphen) at least made sense since it's a Remaster. Like, I would expect that if I play Spider-Man PS4 on my PS5 that my progress is there, and get that it wouldn't be the case with Remaster.

But Yakuza doesn't make a lick of sense.
Okay I'll take that as it is for spiderman but I guess we'll see if any more games crop up with the same issue.

The big one that I think people would like to know about would be Cyberpunk if you play it as ps4 BC sku and get the upgrade next year, will the save also get shafted in the upgrade to the ps5 sku process.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Games I'd like to know about how they'll handle the generational upgrade in regards to saves:

Spiderman Miles Morales
CP2077

(I guess any game that offers a PS4+PS5 upgrade route that isn't a live service like Avengers or Destiny)

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Well spider-man is a remaster with new trophies so it makes sense, unless your talking about miles morales. Idk how the Yakuza 7 stuff is being done yet though.

Im wondering if its related to a separate ps5 trophy list.

Oh no, I think the Spider-Man thing is as clear as can be.

For me, the confusion resides in cross-gen stuff--if it's an upgrade (not a remaster)--are you at the mercy of the dev?

Oct 27, 2017
Its one of the things I think they should address when they start providing details about the PS5's OS imo.

- [obvious] detail the new look and feel
- [obvious] talk about whatever new features are coming and how they work
- improvements to the store
- how save data transfers will work
- how transfers of games from PS4 to PS5 works
- how to redeem cross-gen copies of games for people who buy PS4 versions etc
- how licences work for other things (eg "default" consoles and what happens when you go from 4 to 5)
- preparing consoles for trade-ins

etc etc

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017

This is it most likely.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
They need to clarify lots of things. Letting the internet speculate whenever something is revealed is not good
This. There's so many things we all just don't know or are just assuming will be there day 1 because Xbox has it yet none of us actually know. It's annoying as heck. I want to know how and what I'll get to get to experience as a PlayStation player not just constantly hope that because Xbox has it I'll get it too.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I assume they are very likely for PS4 games being played through BC since those are still strictly PS4 games.

PS5 upgraded versions it probably varies based on things like if they have their own trophies or maybe up to the devs. Like I imagine service games probably do carry over.

Edit: Beaten by salromano

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
There is nothing to clarify. Unless developers put in their own dedicated cloud saves (not PS+ cloud saves) saves will not be cross-gen.

This is the exact same situation as with PS3 cross-save.
pretty much this
PS4 to PS5 BC = Saves come over
PS4 to PS5 Version Upgraded Games = Up to Devs to Support Cross Save