• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
This has been going on for a while, but I decided to make this thread because of the recent news of Death Stranding coming to PC and feel in the past year or so this has been getting worst. Sony hasn't been properly disclosing exclusivity of games. Detroit was labeled as being exclusive in the marketing and release with the box saying "Only On PlayStation" and trailers even having "Exclusive to PS4" in the title.

One could argue that technically as of release, it and others like this actually are PS4 exclusive, but then you have stuff like the greatest hits release of Yakuza Kiwami and 0, which keep the "Only on PlayStation" label despite releasing after the PC version had been offically announced.
playstation_hits_launch_lineup_1920.jpg

As you can see with Street Fighter 5, they have a distinct label for console exclusivity. Yet they don't use it for titles that also are, which adds a additional layer of dishonesty.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Everyone does this. If I had bought Octopath Traveler on Switch I would be pissed when was announced on PC

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
this is by design haha
they want you to buy it on their platform while its exclusive

doesnt every platform do this?

edit: i'm not saying this isn't super lame, though. they definitely should at least be removing that label off games like yakuza 0 if theyre being printed after the pc release

Jorden1506

May 29, 2018
Netherlands
Well while they are timed exclusives they are only on Playstation, as long as the deal isn't over and the other versions haven't been announced they would be idiots to say it differently than "only on playstation"

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Detroit: Become Human's circumstances changed after it released, though. You can't really say it was misleading unless you know for certain the decision to bring it to PC was made prior to launch. Or are they supposed to read the future as well?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Death Stranding is coming to PC. It was announced two years ago. However, why would Sony ever mention it? It's idiotic to signal to boost a late port. It only hurts their revenue.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I'm not sure I understand where the controversy is here. They are exclusive for a period of time or console exclusive. If you're on this forum, there's a 99% chance you'll know it's coming to other platforms and when.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Detroit: Become Human's circumstances changed after it released, though. You can't really say it was misleading unless you know for certain the decision to bring it to PC was made prior to launch. Or are they supposed to read the future as well?
People dont realize that detroit situation was the exception and not the rule.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Not really. Journalists and consumer need to start asking Sony over and over again, like they do with Microsoft.
So they have to say something.

The double standard is quite irritating.

Oct 25, 2017
Just do your research.

And if something ends up not being exclusive anymore after a year or whatever, maybe nobody knew at the time of release that that would happen.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
If Sony wanted to keep something like Detroit only on PS they could have and QD couldn't have done much about it. But they decided to let them self publish on PC.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Death Stranding is coming to PC? They've confirmed (or, apparently re-confirmed) that?

Zelent

Banned
Mar 12, 2019
Everyone does this. If I had bought Octopath Traveler on Switch I would be pissed when was announced on PC

I was one of those people. But I turned out liking the Switch much more than I initially thought I would, so... it wasn't a huge loss.

Death Stranding looks amazing. Iv'e never been so hyped by a game trailer in a long time.
However, I'm still hesitant to but a PlayStation console. I always get this feeling that all the exclusives will eventually come to PC if you wait long enough.

davidnolan13

Oct 27, 2017
north east uk
maybe at the time of release they were only planning on releasing on ps4. for example wasnt mass effect supposed to be xbox exclusive? but things changed way later down the line.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
What game really is exclusive. There are PS2 only games that over many years came to PC for example, because being stuck to one old console would be pretty limited, even for the exclusive holders. Detroit being able to go to Epic seem to be an agreement that involved Sony, their logos and such are still in the Quantic Dreams games (Heavy Rain demo).

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017

If you had bought Octopath Traveler on Switch when you really wanted it on PC then you should have known better, or were just impatient, because with very few exceptions today, unless a game is 1st/2nd party or directly funded by a platform holder (or regressively obstinate like Atlus) then there is a very high chance that it will be coming to other platforms eventually.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't the DS thread get locked for being a mere speculation? But I guess the cat's out of the bag now and people will run with it.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
It's not coming to pc though? Did Kojima Pro announce that it is? As it is it's only launching on PS4 yes?

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Death Stranding is coming to PC. It was announced two years ago. However, why would Sony ever mention it? It's idiotic to signal to boost a late port. It only hurts their revenue.
This subject has been beaten to death.

Death Stranding (it wasn't even Death Stranding by then) was announced for PC BEFORE Sony came and helped with the development and the money. This includes using one of the first party engines Sony have in their portfolio, the Decima engine.

I really wouldn't give as a fact that it's coming to PC, not at all.

Oct 27, 2017
This subject has been beaten to death.

Death Stranding (it wasn't even Death Stranding by then) was announced for PC BEFORE Sony came and helped with the development and the money. This includes using one of the first party engines Sony have in their portfolio, the Decima engine.

I really wouldn't give as a fact that it's coming to PC, not at all.
Death Stranding didnt exist until Kojima abandoned Konami and re-built KojiPro.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
the Death Stranding to PC arguments have become so tiresome and circular that its at a point where I think people are bickering just to bicker and don't actually care if DS actually comes to PC either way. If you want to wait for Death Stranding to come to PC, cool. But don't be surprised if it never does.