• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I hope pubs are more responsible too, allow people to pick and choose elements of the game, make it a standard. I know this may infringe on some of their business goals, like decoupling multiplayer where they're looking to make more money from you, but there needs to be more pressure to allow better control over languages, asset packs, and modes. What's the point of renting out my precious SSD space to game options I'll never use. They need to take ownership of this imo.
This is something that was sold as a big feature when the PS4 launched and nobody used it. It's mind boggling. I don't give a shit about multiplayer, so I don't want to install that shit.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
I have Demon's Souls, Spider-Man Remastered, Miles Morales, WRC 9, Godfall, Sackboy, Devil May Cry 5, and Destiny 2 installed and have 305 GB left. I've never understood this "4 games" nonsense.
Same here, I can't imagine what sort of native PS5 games collection would fill this up a month after launch. The statement that it's only "4 games" and/or an "insanely big problem" can be argued to be a bit of over-the-top hyperboles.

However I don't play COD nor any sports games outside of sim racers. Some multiplayer games from third parties fill up an abnormal amount of space. Some 3rd parties also sometimes have gigantic updates that end up in "Other", and some reported that sports games can have an updates half the size of the entire game.

It's up to specific developers to solve this crap, regardless of how soon the nvme list is published and enabled. A 1TB expansion would be $200 right now. You basically end up having to pay $20 of additional storage space for each additional sports games you want ready to play.

BTW I have found a bug with Other where a crash during an install leaves some zombie space which can only be recovered with a reformat. I only managed to reproduce this bug with the launch firmware, I couldn't reproduce with the latest. If I had doubt about the size of Other, or if I had crashes, I would do a backup with Settings/Saves only, and a full factory wipe with the latest firmware to be sure. But that's just me. Being angry and not helping anyone is so 2020.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is using less than half the capacity (more like 1/3 unless "Other" usage is crazy high), "filling up fast?"

Inviting and rationalizing bad faith comments like that which are clearly false doesn't promote good discourse. If you have legitimate use cases, feel free to share.

If someone feels that using half their storage after a month is filling up fast, that's just one perspective. I fail to see how calling what I did as "defending clear BS" is good discourse. That is completely unnecessary hostility.

I also just explained one scenario that isn't that farfetched to fulfill the "4 games" narrative. A shooter (COD), a fighting game (MK11), and two sports games (Madden & 2K) reaching 500GB. I know plenty of people that follow that playbook, and considering they are literally some of the most popular games out there, it's hard for me to agree with the narrative that only an extreme minority could run into storage issues.

Most people aren't likely to own external storage either, so I bet plenty have installed GTAO (another 80GB) to their internal storage. Hopefully the standalone PS5 release is much lower, but Red Dead Online standalone is 120GB so I'm not counting on it lol

So if anything, it's actually more likely for casuals to run into trouble because the annualized and ongoing games their friends are also probably playing already take up so much space.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
I also just explained one scenario that isn't that farfetched to fulfill the "4 games" narrative. A shooter (COD), a fighting game (MK11), and two sports games (Madden & 2K) reaching 500GB. I know plenty of people that follow that playbook, and considering they are literally some of the most popular games out there, it's hard for me to agree with the narrative that only an extreme minority could run into storage issues.

Point me to where I disputed that? You're trying attribute what I said in response to something clearly false to go against your (different) argument instead of theirs. The post I replied to clearly named 4 specific games that don't come near filling up the drive, and you're trying to say what they actually felt was 1/3 full is filling up the drive?

If you want to hear my response to your point, it's that long term yes 660GB available isn't a lot. I don't have a problem with 660GB for a few months and using a cheaper external SSD for PS4 games while Sony gets their firmware in order though. You must know plenty of people that are above average, since attach rate for PS4 was under 10 games per console over 6 years out of a catalog of about 1000 games. Expecting most people to own 5+ large 80GB+ PS5 games out of like 20 total releases just 6 weeks into the console's lifetime is not based in reality.

Deleted member 11421

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Point me to where I disputed that? You're trying attribute what I said in response to something clearly false to go against your (different) argument instead of theirs. The post I replied to clearly named 4 specific games that don't come near filling up the drive, and you're trying to say what they actually felt was 1/3 full is filling up the drive?

You attacked me for considering one possibility, and I did cite how some users have been hit by the Other bug even worse than just 100GB. We don't know what the full story is but I was just trying to help clarify. This is resembling the type of back and forth you see on a site like GameFAQs, which never ends well.

Expecting most people to own 5+ large 80GB+ PS5 games out of like 20 total releases just 6 weeks into the console's lifetime is not based in reality.

The games I mentioned are all immensely popular and have upgrade paths (some completely free) from PS4. They are ongoing GAAS that aren't dying anytime soon, i.e. people will be playing them for more than just "how long to beat." It is at least more of a reality than some of you seem to want to recognize. Attach rate is also not as relevant as it used to be either with friends/family game sharing (which Sony is totally fine with) and the aforementioned upgrade/BC functionality. If there is a Game Pass competitor coming, it will mean even less.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
If someone feels that using half their storage after a month is filling up fast, that's just one perspective. I fail to see how calling what I did as "defending clear BS" is good discourse. That is completely unnecessary hostility.

Most people aren't likely to own external storage either, so I bet plenty have installed GTAO (another 80GB) to their internal storage. Hopefully the standalone PS5 release is much lower, but Red Dead Online standalone is 120GB so I'm not counting on it lol

So if anything, it's actually more likely for casuals to run into trouble because the annualized and ongoing games their friends are also probably playing already take up so much space.
Or maybe how about some of these developers need to shrink the size of their games. Also you cherry picked 4 of the largest file size games, not the most realistic situation.

Deleted member 11421

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Or maybe how about some of these developers need to shrink the size of their games. Also you cherry picked 4 of the largest file size games, not the most realistic situation.

They are literally among the most popular games, that is not cherry picking.

I understand that I am not the common person because I both own these popular titles and niche and more. However when I look at my friend list those 4 are often among what people are playing.

I definitely agree that these devs could and should optimize better. I am only speaking on it because these "best selling" games that often have daily incentives to play and thus stay on one's hard drive are the biggest offenders.

Last edited:

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
You attacked me for considering one possibility,

I pointed out that possibility that clearly wasn't so in the one I responded to, a straw man. Instead you wanted to find increasingly unbelievable justifications for someone complaining about 200GB being "filling up" 660GB.

The games I mentioned are all immensely popular and have upgrade paths (some completely free) from PS4. They are ongoing GAAS that aren't dying anytime soon, i.e. people will be playing them for more than just "how long to beat." It is at least more of a reality than some of you seem to want to recognize. Attach rate is also not as relevant as it used to be either with friends/family game sharing (which Sony is totally fine with) and the aforementioned upgrade/BC functionality. If there is a Game Pass competitor coming, it will mean even less.

Sure, Madden and NBA are popular. They also sell much fewer copies than there are PS4 and PS5 consoles out there, even fewer people own both.

If game sharing was significant to affect numbers, publishers would do something about it especially for online games where they know exactly how many people log on. It's not significant.

If a Game Pass competitor launches and Sony hasn't yet released the firmware for storage expansions, feel free to start a new thread and I'll join you instead of shooting down hypotheticals. I just am tired of the pages of hyperbole and hypothetical arguments when Sony has explicitly said the firmware will be coming.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I pointed out that possibility that clearly wasn't so in the one I responded to, a straw man. Instead you wanted to find increasingly unbelievable justifications for someone complaining about 200GB being "filling up" 660GB.

Sure, Madden and NBA are popular. They also sell much fewer copies than there are PS4 and PS5 consoles out there, even fewer people own both.

If game sharing was significant to affect numbers, publishers would do something about it especially for online games where they know exactly how many people log on. It's not significant.

If a Game Pass competitor launches and Sony hasn't yet released the firmware for storage expansions, feel free to start a new thread and I'll join you instead of shooting down hypotheticals. I just am tired of the pages of hyperbole and hypothetical arguments when Sony has explicitly said the firmware will be coming.

You are tired of other people discussing problems that you don't have. That's all this is. I mean feel free to hit ignore on the thread if it's so rough.

Deleted member 11421

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I haven't been talking about that specific user's claim for quite some time. You can't assess an entire discussion as a straw man when I thought we moved on from that to other legitimate examples as you requested a while ago. In other words, all this other stuff I'm bringing up isn't meant to address the catalyst to the conversation. It is indeed my fault if that wasn't clear enough.

But I also don't think anything more needs to be said on this. Let's just agree to disagree, as I already understand what I'm discussing is merely my own anecdotal data between myself and my friends (it's not all hypotheticals).

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
Are you playing 8 games at a time OP?
I just don't understand why people have to stack so many downloadable games when they're only playing a couple at a time

Ya'll not play games with friends online and SP games. You dont bounce between at least a half dozen, it's not that irregular. No one wants to wait for a 40+GB game to download and install when their buds hop on and want to play a game they dont have installed because of storage.

Have you never lived in a house with other people who use the console? Kids, partner, roomates? They might play X while I or you play Y.

Also Data caps, and just overall convenience. This isn't the age of popping in a disc when you want to change games, this needs to be remedied, it's not even a 1TB drive.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Ya'll not play games with friends online and SP games. You dont bounce between at least a half dozen, it's not that irregular. No one wants to wait for a 40+GB game to download and install when their buds hop on and want to play a game they dont have installed because of storage.

Have you never lived in a house with other people who use the console? Kids, partner, roomates? They might play X while I or you play Y.

Also Data caps, and just overall convenience. This isn't the age of popping in a disc when you want to change games, this needs to be remedied, it's not even a 1TB drive.
I have, I live with a family even and game with friends on my friends lists!

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I had to delete some stuff today for the first time. Internal ssd expansion can't come soon enough. I don't want to half bake it with an external.

Rubik8

Dec 5, 2018
Oh yes, let's us pretend his is a big deal so we can whip ourselves into a frenzy about it. Please OP, chill out.

markavacado

Oct 25, 2017
Already started bouncing things back and forth from internal to external ever since Cyberpunk came out.

Super weird how people are just baffled about hitting max storage when games like Call of Duty exist.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Already started bouncing things back and forth from internal to external ever since Cyberpunk came out.

Super weird how people are just baffled about hitting max storage when games like Call of Duty exist.
"It didn't happen to me. Therefore, my brand is still unassailable"
I'm quite used to seeing this as a veteran of Joy-Con drift threads, you see

OP
OP
Falus

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Time is flying. With all these free ps+ games, ps5 storage is really becoming more and more an issue. I'm now buying serie x games just because of the storage even though I love dual sense so much.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No issue on my end, luckily I don't have data caps so I just delete anything I am not interested in playing anytime soon.

Right now I have Control: UE, Ghost of Tsushima, Hitman 2 PS4 (with Hitman content downloaded), The Last of Us 2, Astro's Playroom, The Last Campfire, Concrete Genie and Bugsnax. Still have plenty of room.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Time is flying. With all these free ps+ games, ps5 storage is really becoming more and more an issue. I'm now buying serie x games just because of the storage even though I love dual sense so much.

Or you could...delete s game or 2. Do you play over 10 games at the same time?

OP
OP
Falus

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I play 3-4 games at a time maybe more. But it's not the issue. Cod is taking 1/4 of the ps5 storage. And sometimes I like to go in an old game just to swing around. Like Spider-Man. Got platinum but I often go in NYC for 10minutes

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I've actually been getting on okay with it so far. I've got all my PS4 stuff on an external drive, and then I've got FIFA, Madden, NBA, and Call of Duty all installed for multiplayer rotation. There's still room for Watch Dogs, Bugsnax, DIRT 5, and Hitman 3 leftover!

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've actually been getting on okay with it so far. I've got all my PS4 stuff on an external drive, and then I've got FIFA, Madden, NBA, and Call of Duty all installed for multiplayer rotation. There's still room for Watch Dogs, Bugsnax, DIRT 5, and Hitman 3 leftover!

Any bugs with that external drive for PS4 games? Thinking about doing the same, worried about bricking...

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure what Sony can do besides actually putting a 1TB SSD in the hardware, I think there is plenty of space on the XSX

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I had to delete games today to download God of War.

Arrogant Sony making me delete games I've finished or won't play again.

DaCocoBrova

Oct 27, 2017
The whole 'Just re-download' stance is ignorant and totally dismissive of one's time, and the environmental impact.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Or Sony could allow users to back up their games so that they don't have to redownload them at a later date.

EDIT: You can do that already, can't you? There's just no option for extending SSD storage so that you can play PS5 games from your extended storage. Right?

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
The whole 'Just re-download' stance is ignorant and totally dismissive of one's time, and the environmental impact.
Yup. Add that the majority of people don't have fast enough internet to even make this a reasonable proposition.

really hope they make some kind of announcement about this soon. My "other" category is 100gb, so I barely have 500gb to work with.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Any bugs with that external drive for PS4 games? Thinking about doing the same, worried about bricking...
The PS5's support of USB chipsets seems to be incredibly shitty. But there is one that is supported perfectly, so as long as you buy the right external storage you'll be fine.

See this post.

I was originally using a Western Digital Blue SN550 1TB NVMe in a Sabrent EC-TFNB enclosure, and it would basically corrupt the drive on PS5 as soon as I inserted it (worked fine on PS4 Pro). I took the advice of the post I linked to and replaced the Sabrent enclosure with the recommended Ugreen one, and voila, perfect external storage.

Anyone who has any combination of FF7R, FFXV, & WARZONE (or any recent COD) installed will have half their space gone
FF7R and FFXV can already be played from external storage.

I had to delete games today to download God of War.
God of War can be played from external storage.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
If I had time to play more games at time yeah I'd be feeling the pressure on space. I'll have to delete something to get Control and DSA installed. I'm starting to get to the point where I can delete some things though.

I hope within the next 3-5 months we can get expansion SSDs.