• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Sony needs to hire some of y'all. Only reason I'm not complaining as of yet, I'd because I don't have a data cap. You don't need to but the series plug in drive to play games on it, you can use cheaper drives

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 has USB 3.1 gen 2 which is 10Gbps or real world speeds of 900-1000MB/s. XSX is gen 1 with the speeds you mentioned.

oh cool. I knew it had faster ports but though that topped out at 5. Samsung t7 seems to manage 1GB/s too so cold storage should in theory be pretty quick if leveraged fully

aerach71

Sep 25, 2018
Ireland
The PS5 SD can bearley hold 4 big games so I dunno what you are on about.

Demons souls, both Spider men and Monster Hunter filled that sucker up FAST and that is not an unreasonable amount of games.

I literally have 12 games installed and have 300gb spare, the people who seemingly simultaneously play only the largest games ever made by humanity are an absolute minority

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
It's coming.

But I personally haven't had an issue. But I keep all ps4 on my external that I've had no stability issues with (seagate expansion)

But I also never ran out of space on the launch 500gb ps4 and I had that right up until the pro.

I think I've only ever hit storage limits on ps3 80gb

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018

Demons souls, both Spider men and Monster Hunter filled that sucker up FAST and that is not an unreasonable amount of games.

Demon's Souls is 66GB, Spider-man games are 50-60GB each, Monster Hunter does not take up the remaining 400GB+. People on here are wildly exaggerating.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I find it weird how both Sony and MS decided to go with only 1TB of storage this time around.

1TB isn't even enough for my PS4 Pro.

And PS5 and Xbox Series X games are likely going to end up being quite a bit larger than last gen.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I find it weird how both Sony and MS decided to go with only 1TB of storage this time around.

And PS5 and Xbox Series X games are likely going to end up being quite a bit larger than last gen.
PS5 is 825GB but like 667GB is usable.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018

Flash storage is expensive. Selling your console for $700+ while your competitor sells theirs for $300-500 is a losing proposition. Most people don't play 8+ games at a time without being able to redownload/install.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not saying it's good. We as consumers are fucked this go round.

Yet MS and Sony were just caught in a transition phase where fast SSD prices with large storage are just expensive and the consoles are already not super cheap. Hopefully as storage drops we will get larger options on down the road, but for now we live the early adopter tax.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Demon's Souls is 66GB, Spider-man games are 50-60GB each, Monster Hunter does not take up the remaining 400GB+. People on here are wildly exaggerating.
People here are making stuff up, as always. I have both Spiderman games installed, Demon's Souls, Ghost, Days Gone, Bugsnax, Astro's Playroom. This is more games than I know what to do with, and there's still space left for 2-4 AAA games.

zero71

Dec 4, 2017
I just don't understand why people have to stack so many downloadable games when they're only playing a couple at a time

Because some people play more than a couple at a time. I jump between Demon Souls, Valhalla, Ghostrunner, and Watchdogs depending on my mood and how much time I have. Oh and Ghost T is on there too as I dip into it sometimes. I also do a few stages on WRC9 once or twice a week. And I co-op Destiny 2 with my son at the weekend. Not everyone binges on one or two games above all else all the time.

I can fit most of what I want to play on my machine. But I'd love to have Warzone on there too, ACC, and GT Sport too. I'd play them a few times per week. No space though.
Very much looking fwd to the expansion slot working.

Last edited:

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for going into so much depth. All those points really make sense and some of them I never have to think about like the data caps or YouTube/Streaming games.

I think where I'm at in my life is a big factor as well. I have a 6 month old daughter so I have to kind of focus fire my gaming time now. Maybe back in the day I could be jumping around more, but now it's all focused on fewer games.
Yeah I even watch streamers who would play 5-6 games at a time. I'm now planning to do more games at a time for Youtube so I'm going to need all the space I can get, which is what I'm working on for 2021.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Relax. It's coming. It's only been a month.

I currently have 10 games (6 of them AAA) installed to my Digital Edition, taking up a little over half of the storage space. I've platinumed 5 games since launch, deleting the ones I won't return to. It's been very manageable.

Is it my entire collection of over 300 digital PS4 games ready to go? No.

Is it everything I'm going to want to play for the next couple months? Yes.

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's possible they're dealing with the "Other" inflation that seems to vary from user to user and is more common when installing PS4 games from what I have read. Mine was almost 100GB at one point and I had only a dozen games installed.

Last edited:

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Sony still has an Os that crashes occasionally. Let's let them fix that before first.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE

Surely you know how expensive the SSD memory is. There's nothing weird about it.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
We're literally at the start of the generation and the PS5 uses 100GB discs, which will definitely be used. Especially when games like RDR2 and FFVII remake and such were already huge on prior generations. On top of 4K games becoming more and more common.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, I think getting an expansion SSD mostly alleviates storage concerns in the short term.

I have 47 games on my 2 SSDs, many of which were big hitters on the PS4.

Nov 26, 2019
I grabbed a 2tb Samsung T7 SSD to hold all my ps4 games. It works like a charm. The games load fast enough to still give me that PS5 speed buzz.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm in the same boat as OP. PS5 has only been turned on to play Miles, Astro, and Sackboy, because I just don't want to deal with the shitty storage solutions. Between easy storage, VRR, and smart delivery, XSX is much more flexible for third party games at the moment

Doesn't help that some amount of space, sometimes a pretty large amount of space, is always taken up by "Other" too

Last edited:

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
It's possible they're dealing with the "Other" inflation that seems to vary from user to user and is more common when installing PS4 games from what I have read. Mine was almost 100GB at one point and I had only a dozen games installed.

The 4 games they mentioned plus 100GB of "Other" (unlikely if they only have 4 games) would still be half or less of the capacity. Don't know why defending clear BS is necessary.

AFI-kun

Oct 31, 2017
I lived through the whole PS4 gen without expanding my 500gb console so...yeah. The PS5 is much less of a pain since it doesn't seem to need twice the free storage space just to install games (i.e. on PS4 to install a 50gb game you'd need roughly twice that, for both the downloaded file and the actual install, someone correct me if I'm wrong about this).

You know what a really cool solution would be though? Let players stream the game via PS Now while it's installing (or if you don't have disk space).

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Why do people band over backwards to say the OP needs to install less games? If they want to have multiple games installed let them.

Both consoles should have had (close to) 2TB by default. especially with games becoming bigger and patches taking up more space.

Era: It'd be worth waiting longer for games so long as crunch was minimized.

Also Era: WTF? Where is my storage expansion that I was already told was coming after launch during a pandemic that has fucked all types of manufacturing?!

Not the same is it? Iirc they disabled the NVME drives for certification while most NVME drives will probably just work.

Aladan

Dec 23, 2019
Why do people band over backwards to say the OP needs to install less games? If they want to have multiple games installed let them.

Both consoles should have had (close to) 2TB by default. especially with games becoming bigger and patches taking up more space.

Not the same is it? Iirc they disabled the NVME drives for certification while most NVME drives will probably just work.

Why should the probably work? There are literally zero SSD with 6 priority-levels out there and as Cerny said: to compensate for this they have to be much faster than the build in storage and Controller.

amnesties

Nov 17, 2017
I just don't understand why people have to stack so many downloadable games when they're only playing a couple at a time

i have shitty internet, so when i have to download an 80gb+ game it has to stay there, regardless of whether i'm playing it or not because redownloading it is a massive hastle.

btw i'm still on PS4 for clarity

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Iirc they disabled the NVME drives for certification while most NVME drives will probably just work.
I highly doubt that. In addition to needing to be very fast (7,000 MB/s reads) in order to potentially work as PS5 internal storage, they also have to physically fit, but on top of that, if you've followed external storage on the PS5 you'll know that Sony has faced (and still faces) a tonne of compatibility issues just getting external USB drives to work for PS4 games.

Given that the number of PS4 titles vastly outnumbers the number of PS5 titles, it makes sense that Sony would prioritise fixing external storage first. And it definitely needs fixing.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
I highly doubt that. In addition to needing to be very fast (7,000 MB/s reads) in order to potentially work as PS5 internal storage, they also have to physically fit, but on top of that, if you've followed external storage on the PS5 you'll know that Sony has faced (and still faces) a tonne of compatibility issues just getting external USB drives to work for PS4 games.

Given that the number of PS4 titles vastly outnumbers the number of PS5 titles, it makes sense that Sony would prioritise fixing external storage first. And it definitely needs fixing.

Well I stand corrected then I guess.

Maybe they should have just delayed it then I guess.

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK

I don't find it weird. They're balancing cost and price for mass market, and the mass market does not buy nor store games anything like enthusiast so far as I'm aware.

For majority of customers over time that will be enough space. They'll have a couple of annual popular titles installed (CoD, Destiny, FIFA and the like - but only maybe 1 or 2 that they play) and then maybe 1 or 2 other games they're playing that they'll likely delete when finished.

The external storage options and coming expansions are not for those customers; they're for the minority who have lots of games. But they're not going to price the consoles and pay for storage space for that minority; I don't know why people keep arguing for them to make 2TB or 3TB the default, it doesn't make sense for them at all unless all the examples I've seen over the years on average game ownership and attach rate for mass market are way off.

The strategy for both is to offload that cost to the minority who want it and to make additional profit from them which is why they're leaving it down to the minority who want 3TB or 4TB or more of games on tap to do it themselves via expansion (be it internal or external).

aerach71

Sep 25, 2018
Ireland
I have over 500 games installed on my Series X between External and Internal.

I play a wide range of games (from BC, arcade, to AAA) and like playing them whenever I want. I averaged about 15-20 games installed on my PS4 too. I played a good 10 different types of games in the last few weeks.

I couldn't even attempt to do that on the PS5.

I've always done this, as I hate downloading and deleting games. At one point I had my entire, massive, Steam library installed on my gaming PC. LOL

I'm just checking, you kno

You say at one point, is it less now? Mine seems to vary by the day

Based0ne

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
You need PCIe Gen.4 drives that are fast enough and can fit on the bay. These things, they take time.
Not only that but PCI Gen4 is new technology. You're going to have to give it some time until larger storage capacities are available at a cheaper price. Were people not aware of this going into the new gen? This is also the same with Xbox.

Deleted member 11421

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The 4 games they mentioned plus 100GB of "Other" (unlikely if they only have 4 games) would still be half or less of the capacity. Don't know why defending clear BS is necessary.

In all fairness when someone mentions it can "fill up fast" that doesn't necessarily mean use the entire capacity.

Attempting to discuss and maybe even problem solve is also not "defending BS." Why are people so hostile in this thread?

I don't have any PS4 games on the internal drive and it fluctuates between 30-50. It was near 100 when I had a couple on there last month. It's not always related to PS4 games either. I've seen someone say they were up to 333 after failed transfers, another who had 162 with no PS4 games installed, and another whose whole storage space filled up from it.

Of course, in those cases the issue is more with the OS and not the capacity for the majority of users and their needs. I just don't get why we need to shut people down over this. It reminds me of when digital was first becoming an option on consoles and many were calling others "lazy" for not wanting to swap discs, as if that's the only reason they prefer or favor it.

Also consider the increasingly popular "sub-to-download our whole catalog" services. EA's is still somewhat fresh in the Sony ecosystem, but if the talk of a direct Game Pass competitor happens, more people would likely end up downloading more games more often. I also think Ubisoft's will make its way over eventually too.

Personally, I also capture a decent amount of clips so I generally have around 20GB for that prior to the tedious process of uploading it all. I also made the mistake of porting over my PS4 saves which is another 20GB, so that's basically an extra game right there from utilizing the media options on my console.

I can manage for now. I'm just hoping the additional storage is available once more games I want to keep installed (like fighting games which are heavily based on mood and pick up and play) start releasing. Once I add a third sports game into the rotation (MLB the Show) it's going to get difficult.

Last edited:

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Not only that but PCI Gen4 is new technology. You're going to have to give it some time until larger storage capacities are available at a cheaper price. Were people not aware of this going into the new gen? This is also the same with Xbox.

Right, I'm fine with adding just 1TB and I'm fine with the price, just like I was with Xbox. Basically your entire post is nonsense.

And just because people knew it was going to happen doesn't mean it isn't an issue. They fucked up but people need to defend their plastic boxes. And it wasn't a know issue until shortly before launch. I figured that we would soon get to a YMMV space rather than a total lockout of the feature. Hell, not being able to cold store PS5 games is dumb.

Last edited:

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone really expect the approved NVMe SSD list to come so soon after launch? Within weeks or even days? I don't expect that list for at least six or eight months.

And the people complaining about "just delete what you're not playing", what other option do you think there is? That's the only thing you can do right now, whether you like it or not. Bitching about it isn't going to magically change the amount of available storage, and it isn't going to make Sony approve those add-in drives any sooner. Suck it up.

Yes, I honestly expected Sony to be waiting for the drives to appear, with a PS5 game benchmark test suite ready to go. I thought once the Samsung 980 appeared on the market, it would be very soon listed as compatible. I have no idea what the hold up is, really.

I could sure do with them unlocking the NVMe slot for use sooner rather than later.

jack.

Oct 27, 2017
I hooked up a PNY Pro Elite 1TB external SSD to my PS5 a few days ago, formatted it and moved all my PS4 stuff over. One by one the games on it started getting corrupted and being unable to start. By the 3rd or 4th one I just gave up and reinstalled everything on the main drive. I wish they would fix whatever is happening there. From googling a bit it seems like I'm not alone.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
What exactly are we waiting on? Is it a software issue that Sony has to actually support the expansions? Or are we waiting on actual manufacturing of the drives?

I hope it comes soon, I'll probably get it right away. I was holding off on an external HDD because I didn't think the wait would be very long, but juggling SSD space (my SO and I both play) is not fun.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.

I have Demon's Souls, Spider-Man Remastered, Miles Morales, WRC 9, Godfall, Sackboy, Devil May Cry 5, and Destiny 2 installed and have 305 GB left. I've never understood this "4 games" nonsense.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I hope cold storage come soon to PS5. It's a good feature for Xbox Series, and make worthwile get a external HDD or SDD for you console.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
I personally think this thread is odd. I totally get being frustrated that there are no storage options at the moment. Sony said they are working on it. Its likely a lower priority because quite a bit of the OS is missing features or has stability issues. And most people aren't going to be hitting a wall with the storage.

All we can really do is wait a few months and hope the OS is in a better spot.

What exactly are we waiting on? Is it a software issue that Sony has to actually support the expansions? Or are we waiting on actual manufacturing of the drives?

I hope it comes soon, I'll probably get it right away. I was holding off on an external HDD because I didn't think the wait would be very long, but juggling SSD space (my SO and I both play) is not fun.

There are a couple of drives that would probably meet the spec.
Sony needs to update the OS to support it, and it's also possible they need to do testing. It's not necessarily enough for the drive to be technically fast enough. They probably need to test it under load. SSD's slow down when they get hot. It's possible for a drive to have the required over 5.5 GB/s speed, and fail during gameplay.

tok9

Prophet of Truth
Nov 2, 2017
I have Demon's Souls, Spider-Man Remastered, Miles Morales, WRC 9, Godfall, Sackboy, Devil May Cry 5, and Destiny 2 installed and have 305 GB left. I've never understood this "4 games" nonsense.

100% this. So many posts talk about how you can only have a few games before it's full but I'm in a similar boat. 15 games installed (Demon's, Miles, TLOU2, Ghost, Sackboy, Blood & Truth, Crash Trilogy, etc) with 230GB to spare and 60GB in other.

I'm honestly just curious what really big 4 games everyone is playing that fills their SSD. COD +3 others?

Deleted member 11421

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
100% this. So many posts talk about how you can only have a few games before it's full but I'm in a similar boat. 15 games installed (Demon's, Miles, TLOU2, Ghost, Sackboy, Blood & Truth, Crash Trilogy, etc) with 230GB to spare and 60GB in other.

I'm honestly just curious what really big 4 games everyone is playing that fills their SSD. COD +3 others?

It is an issue for people who enjoy Call of Duty and sports games and want them readily available in addition to any other games they play. These games are guaranteed to take up more space (over 100GB and even 200GB in COD's case), and are more likely to be played frequently for a long-term span, even if just for a year straight.

MK11 is also 84GB, and I consider fighting games a staple on hard drives because you never know when someone might come over or you simply want to put a few rounds in and/or practice before returning to one of the main games you're playing. Especially given how fast the games load now. And that's the only one for now...I like more than one! Hopefully we'll have a solution by the time more arrive lol

If you have COD, MK11, Madden, and NBA2K21 installed (not an uncommon combination for today's "casual" player) you are at roughly 500GB from those 4 alone. If you also enjoy other games, it can be difficult to fit more than a few more within the confines those staples set.

But yes, most games are not bloating hard drives, though that doesn't mean others aren't affected by it. Unfortunately an admin is calling it nonsense too so, I give up...

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
It is an issue for people who enjoy Call of Duty and sports games and want them readily available in addition to any other games they play. These games are guaranteed to take up more space (over 100GB and even 200GB in COD's case), and are more likely to be played frequently for a long-term span, even if just for a year straight.

MK11 is also 84GB, and I consider fighting games a staple on hard drives because you never know when someone might come over or you simply want to put a few rounds in and/or practice before returning to one of the main games you're playing. Especially given how fast the games load now.

If you have COD, MK11, Madden, and NBA2K21 installed (not an uncommon combination for today's "casual" player) you are at roughly 500GB from those 4 alone. If you also enjoy other games, it can be difficult to fit more than a few more within the confines those staples set.

But yes, most games are not bloating hard drives, though that doesn't mean others aren't affected by it. Unfortunately an admin is calling it nonsense too so, I give up...
WTF? I had no idea it was that huge!!!

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope cold storage come soon to PS5. It's a good feature for Xbox Series, and make worthwile get a external HDD or SDD for you console.
I hope pubs are more responsible too, allow people to pick and choose elements of the game, make it a standard. I know this may infringe on some of their business goals, like decoupling multiplayer where they're looking to make more money from you, but there needs to be more pressure to allow better control over languages, asset packs, and modes. What's the point of renting out my precious SSD space to game options I'll never use. They need to take ownership of this imo.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
In all fairness when someone mentions it can "fill up fast" that doesn't necessarily mean use the entire capacity.

Attempting to discuss and maybe even problem solve is also not "defending BS." Why are people so hostile in this thread?

I just don't get why we need to shut people down over this.

Is using less than half the capacity (more like 1/3 unless "Other" usage is crazy high), "filling up fast?"

Inviting and rationalizing bad faith comments like that which are clearly false doesn't promote good discourse. If you have legitimate use cases, feel free to share.