• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
When subscription services become so confusing to understand you know it's already terrible.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Should I just load up on the current cheap PS Now for €60? As it will transition into Premium.

I am already good till 2025... But still.

Zarathustra

Oct 27, 2017
If you can buy PS1 games a la carte on a PS4/5... then I frankly care LEAGUES more about that than any other subscription service.

I wonder if they're going to add trophies to the PS1 titles.

Yeah, but I got burned buying a la carte PS1 games on PS3 10 years ago, that I now have no way of accessing on PS5, even though it's still the Playstation ecosystem and it's still the Playstation Network/Store.

If they're bringing back a la carte purchasing of PS1 games, I don't see why they can't reinstate these purchases for customers who have been with them for decades and have been using the same account. Apple allows you to restore purchases on iPhones and iPads provided you're using the same Apple ID, why not Sony? Rhetorical question, I know they won't reinstate anything.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So it sure sounds like they don't have any type of competitor to BC Enhanced games like on the Xbox side of things, or they would've advertised that.

Big disappointment for me. 4K rendering, FPS Boost, and Auto HDR are huge for me, and make many 360 titles feel like near current-gen games.

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
I'll be interested to see how quickly new games join the essential/premium tier.

At first glance, Gamepass is the better value. But if the catalog is good, $120/year is $60/year cheaper than Gamepass ultimate. Seems like a calculated reduction in price to counterweight the lack of day 1 games.

diderotto

Oct 11, 2020
To the people saying "meh"... what were you expecting?

The actual game library will make it appealing enough or not. This was never going to be shocking on paper.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
So it essentially was them just combining PS+ and Now into one service with a few extra perks. Nothing earth-shattering.

Still, if I can get the higher tiers at a discount eventually, I'll try them.

Im curious on the psp and ps1 emulators. These games will look awful blown up on 4k TV if they release them as is.

They'll probably just use the same emus they've already been using for PS4. For example, Medievil (remaster, not the remake) and Patapon run on PS1 and PSP emulators, respectively; they're not native ports.

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
It's pretty much exactly what we were told and those prices. Those first party games are great for anyone who hasn't played them. As usual with all these services, it'll come down to the library that month.

So I see a future where one month I pay a $1 for gamepass and another month I pay the extra $5 for PS+ extra (since I have have essential).

I doubt Sony will incentivize the monthly deals like gamepass but probably will for annual deals where if it's good enough, I may jump in.

Yeah it looks like monthly is more expensive, but (RRP prices at least), yearly is cheaper.

Comparisons to GP will be inevitable but it still good value for money. That's a lot of gaming for 83.99/99.99. So for new gamers, new PlayStation owners, people on a budget, it's definetly an appetising proposal.

Oct 28, 2017
Don't see why anyone would want anything other than the lowest tier tbh. Seems like a terrible deal compared to game pass. Oh sony.

sanityislost

Oct 21, 2021
Pretty much what I expected, dont think it will really change much for me. I have all of the 1st party games that I want to play and I dont really care about most of the older console games. However I think its a great addition for people who haven't bought alot of the older PS4/5 games or are interested in the older generations. Day one 1st party was never going to be a thing.

I may sub depending on what 3rd party games they pull in but I mostly play those on PC.

Oct 27, 2017
So imo 400 PS4 and PS5 games, even if it's mostly ps now PS4 titles plus some recent PS5 stuff seems good no?

Woah miles morales and Returnal? Damn! So it seems roughly 12 months is the cut off more or less for first party. So it's basically game pass ultimate + EA play style for first party like I expected

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
After reading through everything, I have no interest in this. Sony needs to do better.
The only thing people wanted for this service was day 1 1st party and that was never on the cards. I think getting 1st party on there quicker and more consistent (whilst staying on there) is the best we are going to get right now. Day 1 third party/indie games will sure to be there however as PS+ has them regularly.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
Ps Plus and Now under one subscription sounds pretty good to me since I'm subbed to both.

First party games will end up there as evidenced by Miles, Returnal and Death Stranding. With the price increase to games I buy less games at launch, so I can comfortably wait until said first party games end up in the service. I'' sure third party games will end up there regularly not long after launch too so

PS4 aside, I don't care about old games or backwards compatibility so not much movement for me there

Only thing I'm disappointed about is Crunchyroll not being included under premium. That would have been ace. Still, I will subscribe/upgrade to premium.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Yeah, but I got burned buying a la carte PS1 games on PS3 10 years ago, that I now have no way of accessing on PS5, even though it's still the Playstation ecosystem and it's still the Playstation Network/Store.

If they're bringing back a la carte purchasing of PS1 games, I don't see why they can't reinstate these purchases for customers who have been with them for decades and have been using the same account. Apple allows you to restore purchases on iPhones and iPads provided you're using the same Apple ID, why not Sony? Rhetorical question, I know they won't reinstate anything.

I think if they don't offer the games a la carte on PS4/5... it'll be to avoid this exact question. Just like NSO.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
….huh? Annual options being cheaper than the option of paying each month for 12 months has generally been the cheaper total price for yearly coverage forever, even for sub services outside of PlayStation for a long time, since the original PS+ days and Xbox Live days. Or services outside of gaming, annual tends to be cheaper than paying monthly for 12 months.
It's a massive discount though. $120 for a year of Premium vs $215.20 if you paid per month. That's kinda crazy, no? Does Game Pass Ultimate do a similar discount? I don't recall to be honest but I didn't think so.

Kitano

Mar 28, 2019
Old games will have trophies? They were messing with patents before (more recent ones than the ps2 to ps4 patents) so I guess maybe?
No buy from me if no trophies or at least high res support
This would be nice
Buy another year membership and enter it manually. CDKeys still has them for $48. I just purchased and used one minutes ago.
Meant when you already have several months or years of the PS Plus, how to pay only the difference?

zyvorg

Oct 25, 2017
Very dissapointing but also means I can sub for one month to play stuff like Returnal and then go back to basic sub until they have something else of interest, in a way they saved my wallet, thanks Sony.

Aldro

Jun 5, 2020
Sweden
Doesn't this mean they are removing PSNow and forcing PS+ ontop of it thus making it more expensive? Sucks if yes...

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Never expected day one games, but the price combined with lack of native PS3 and no way to buy pre-PS4 games a la carte or play ones you already own are big knocks against the service. Feels more like the sort of thing I would maybe subscribe to for a month if there were some PS4 game I wanted to check out, than anything I'd keep up a subscription for

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
I think the big reason why PS3 gaùes are still being streamed is that the PS4 is not capable of emulating PS3 games. maybe in the future, PS5 will be able to emulate the PS3 games, coming one by one after they test them with their emulator. After all they had patents for this.
This is probably it, PS Now always had the principle of parity between both consoles so I can see them branch out eventually

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
The only thing people wanted for this service was day 1 1st party and that was never on the cards. I think getting 1st party on there quicker and more consistent (whilst staying on there) is the best we are going to get right now. Day 1 third party/indie games will sure to be there however as PS+ has them regularly.
Not true. Overall I've seen people suggest things like local PS3 games, PS5 servers for streaming games, maybe something like Crunchyroll in the highest tier. There are so many other things they could've added that weren't just day one games.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is going to run into the same issues that early gamepass days had.

If you are a big playstation fan and buy all their games day one or year one then you are going to find very little value in anything above the lowest tier because you'll have likely played anything that interested you by the time it hit the service and by the time it hits the service it'll be cheap enough that you can just buy it digitally and own it instead if subbing for a month. You may end up subbing for a month here or there to play a couple games or two that that trickled through and that'll be it.

It'll be a great value for someone hopping to Playstation for the first time or after a couple year hiatus for at least a several months before you catch up with all the catalog stuff or for someone willing to wait a couple years to play the big sony exclusives but even on that last note if it's just a handful of game you are waiting for its almost just better to wait for a digital sale if you are holding out that long and skirt the subscription all together

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Not something that interests me much beyond maybe buying a month of a higher tier here and there if I get behind on games and have things I want to catch up on for cheap. And that's assuming there's an option to pay a monthly fee to upgrade from the base (current) package if I'm keeping that active for online play—which isn't a sure thing as my friends and I have shifted most of our playing together to Xbox/PC.

Main appeal of Gamepass for me is the first party games being on there day one. I like enough of those offerings that the service more than pays for itself (even if the 3 year conversion deal ends) from not buying those games at or near full price. I don't play all that much else on Gamepass as MS, Sony and Nintendo exclusives eat up a ton of my gaming time along with big third party stuff like Elden Ring that don't go to services day one.

tok9

Prophet of Truth
Nov 2, 2017
It's a massive discount though. $120 for a year of Premium vs $215.20 if you paid per month. That's kinda crazy, no? Does Game Pass Ultimate do a similar discount? I don't recall to be honest but I didn't think so.

You can either use the convert gold method where you stack months or get a discount when you purchase a month on gamepass ($1 for a month, $1 for 3 months deals)
I don't think there is a way to properly buy quarterly/annual gamepass but the volume of discounts I get when I'm not subscribed is huge.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
The bigger fan you are the less it's worth. Seems unappealing tbh. "Here are a bunch of games you might already own."

Though I'm curious about the catalog of old games.

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, about as expected. Extra Tier seems ok and a fairly sensible monthly price for what is PS+ and PSNow together.

Will depend on what games end up on the service and what % are PS5 really. If it's a decent amount and new games end up on there relatively quickly it could be very good.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Very dissapointing but also means I can sub for one month to play stuff like Returnal and then go back to basic sub until they have something else of interest, in a way they saved my wallet, thanks Sony.
Cheaper to sub to the yealy. Monthly is where folks will get their wallets fucked, you sound like the exact person they gonna milk monthly. Yearly is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.