• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Aug 26, 2018
Keep in mind, these are PLAYERS, NOT SALES.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/a6ssfu/sony_accidentally_disclosed_the_number_of_players/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insert...-playercounts-of-every-ps4-game/#54be55544b30

zpybz3k6mo421.jpg

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Finsertcoin%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F12%2Fgame-stats.jpg

Here is more:

http://gamstat.com/

RDR 2 at 6 Million is no where near Rockstar's PR. Rockstar's PR had the game at 17 Million in 12 Days of Release. It should be around 10 Million atleast if we take PS4: Xbox 2:1 ratio in 12 Days.

Between Nov 20 and Dec 4 is the time range, so another 12 days of Sales, it should easily be double the 6 Million number.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Factors why numbers are too high:

-Used sales
-Game sharing
-Multiple accounts on a single PS4
-PS+ Giveaway

Factors why numbers are too low:

-Copies sold that have never been played until the first trophy pops
-Consoles that have never been taken online after getting the first trophy

Given that, it is very unlikely these numbers are too low (with the exception of recently released games like RDR2 where the datapoints aren't accurate). They are going to be too high most of the time. So if a game is a complete bomba in these stats, it is very likely it sold even worse than that. At least for that it is useful.

For example we know Beyond: Two Souls sold around 2 million copies on PS3 and another 800k on PS4. It was on PS+, so that's where most of its owners are going to come from, likely around 3.3M. If we are generous and only apply like 2M to Mankind Devided, that reveals how badly that game must have sold on release, easily under 2M copies on PS4

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Call of Duty WWII - 24,600,000
Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 - 9,230,000

I know COD continues to sell but that seems like a big drop.

Also BO4 doesn't have an offline mode does it? so that's not even counting people who just play the single player on WW2.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The last game could barely pass 1M. >2M with Japan are pretty damn good numbers for a very niche JRPG. It just gets talked about a lot here because this is a forum for enthusiasts.
yeah that's what i'm saying, you keep hearing about it so much you start to think it's a major series, but it didn't sell a whole lot more than JRPGs on much smaller install bases.

feroca

Banned
May 12, 2018

Also BO4 doesn't have an offline mode does it? so that's not even counting people who just play the single player on WW2.
Well, one has been out for 2 months, the other for 14 months. Time will tell.

>__

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
7 million for GT Sport.

"Ded gaem!" they said. must have been the only game in the past year to get "heavily bundled" and "discounted" to reach those sort of numbers..............etc. etc.

Good to see. Now PD, GT7 before PS5 hits?

GTS should be 8 million by next year. FIA season still going in 2019 and free updates so I presume no. GT7 for PS5.

yeah that's what i'm saying, you keep hearing about it so much you start to think it's a major series, but it didn't sell a whole lot more than JRPGs on much smaller install bases.

Eh, 2.5 million or so is better than 99.9% of JRPGs and already Atlus's best selling game ever. Only KH,DQ,FF sell 3 million+

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Everyone's talking about how shocked they are about Yakuza 6 being low, and here I am pleasantly surprised it even crossed 100k outside of Japan.

The games probably cost little to localize these days, and between Sega saying they're satisfied with the series' international performance along with Judgment getting Dual Audio, I don't think there's anything to worry about. Definitely a far cry from the PS3 days, in any case.

>__

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Trophy data needs to be synced, so the percentages change over time as players come online and data gets synced. On the rarest trophies, you would expect the biggest error from this time lag, so they should be using the first trophy as a way to count player numbers.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I know that those are players and not sales, but some of those results are still very surprising.

This one jumped at me: Dark Souls 3, which was never on PS+ nor massively discounted (and hasn't had any price drops so far either), has more players than Doom? And that's on PS4 only, too. I'm very happy that DS3 was so successful, but I'm also a little shocked, haha. It even beats Deus Ex MD, which was on PS+ (and discounted many times, it's currently at a ridiculous 85% off and its full price is already dropped to half the original price).

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe how badly The Talos Principle did on PS4. It's one of the best games of this generation.

It's an indie puzzle game that launched at $40. Not many of those games have mass market appeal and even the hardcore crowd is not particularly fond of that price point. See The Witness.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018

One has been out for over a year and the other only a few months.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
It's an indie puzzle game that launched at $40. Not many of those games have mass market appeal and even the hardcore crowd is not particularly fond of that price point. See The Witness.
It's been on sale aggressively many times in the PS Store. Croteam is more AA than indie. And it's had rave reviews from critics and users alike, just look at those Steam reviews.

So yeah, it's a real shame regardless. Portal was very successful and Talos scratches that same itch and then some. And even at $40 it includes the DLC as standard with over 20 hours of gameplay.

I really wish it had done better, because now I fear its sequel might not get ported to consoles at all.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
The Quiet Man: 3.333 Players (220 players are 6,6% according to trophy stats)
DupfhZQWsAAty9a.jpg:large

True Art just doesn't get appreciated the way it should. Also, Wolfenstein 2 at 1.5 Million only on PS4 is way better than I would have feared. I know this is by no means accurate but it's a fun thought experiment at the very least ;)

Last edited:

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe would be more useful have a range of whichever trophy gives you the lowest number and whichever gives you the highest.
The ranges this produces are even less reliable than steamspy and that's before accounting for players vs ownership differences.

Of course internet is going full confirmation bias on this already...

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone's talking about how shocked they are about Yakuza 6 being low, and here I am pleasantly surprised it even crossed 100k outside of Japan.

The games probably cost little to localize these days, and between Sega saying they're satisfied with the series' international performance along with Judgment getting Dual Audio, I don't think there's anything to worry about. Definitely a far cry from the PS3 days, in any case.

Yep lol same here, i guess people new to the franchise don't realize how dire and bad things were before.

MRYEAH

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The hall across the room

-Used sales
-Game sharing
-PS+ Giveaway

Factors why numbers are too low:

-Copies sold that have never been played until the first trophy pops
-Consoles that have never been taken online after getting the first trophy

Given that, it is very unlikely these numbers are too low (with the exception of recently released games like RDR2 where the datapoints aren't accurate). They are going to be too high most of the time. So if a game is a complete bomba in these stats, it is very likely it sold even worse than that. At least for that it is useful.

For example we know Beyond: Two Souls sold around 2 million copies on PS3 and another 800k on PS4. It was on PS+, so that's where most of its owners are going to come from, likely around 3.3M. If we are generous and only apply like 2M to Mankind Devided, that reveals how badly that game must have sold on release, easily under 2M copies on PS4
FACTS this is exact;y why I like hearing from this community

>__

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Yakuza 6 was noted to have sold 800-900k worldwide. Asia probably accounts for 500k (JP 400k), so 300-400k overseas.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I mean I guess that just shows you that you shouldn't take much stock into Era opinions as being reflective of the populous lol.

But even 2.5M is still better than most JRPGs usually sell.

F-Pina

Nerd Monkeys
Verified
Nov 3, 2017
Lisbon
Extremely interesting insight. This will be pulled down very quickly so make use of it as fast as you can :)

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
How does Mankind Divided not get its sequel, with over 4m players on PS4 alone. Wtf.

Also Prey at 1m makes me sad. Such a great game.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Yikes at Fallout, but tbh, has there ever been a game with 50 meta that was a critical success?
I guesss you mean a game with a 50 or lower metascore that was a commercial success? 50 meta pretty much precludes a game being a critical success by definition.

I think the games most likely to have been commercial successes were some of the licensed games from the PS2 generation and first few years of the lifetime of the PS3/Xbox 360. Lots of games sold fairly well then without getting good reviews, and costs were low enough that it was easier for games to be commercially successful.

Actual to date: somewhere between 20 November and 4 December 2018

I cannot really believe this numbers. I probably understood it wrong. Youre telling me that 8 million ppl played Fifa 14 and 19 million ppl played Fifa 15 within the last few weeks?
The numbers are lifetime numbers. However, the clock stopped sometime after November 20th. So those are all-time numbers but exclude anything that happened in the past few weeks. This is why RDR2 is so low.

Seriously no one posted GoW and Spidey numbers yet? With y'all begging Sony to reveal updated numbers for months I'd assume those would be the first people would try to figure out.
Sony gave a single number to every person who made a My Life in PS4 video - their rarest trophy (based on the total number of people who got it), and the number of other people who got it.

Games like Spider-Man and GoW sold so well that even their rarest trophy is likely to be very common. In Spider-Man, for example, almost 11% of players have the Platinum. So the people who are getting numbers, as long as they have played a few games, are unlikely to be getting Spider-Man numbers...and probably the people who've only ever played Spider-Man did not see this video creation tool on time.

-Used sales
-Game sharing
-PS+ Giveaway
PS Now as well.

Trophy data needs to be synced, so the percentages change over time as players come online and data gets synced. On the rarest trophies, you would expect the biggest error from this time lag, so they should be using the first trophy as a way to count player numbers.
Trophy data syncs automatically on PS4. People who stay offline entirely won't have their trophies synced and in other cases it might take a while, but the percentage of people not syncing is probably quite low.

There's no question of them using the first trophy. They cannot pick anything. The numbers that were given by Sony to individuals who made the video were numbers for their single rarest trophy - no way to select a game, no way to select a specific trophy. That's one reason why this list is so incomplete.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Why are people shocked about Yakuza 6? They've had super low sales forever and we knew that while 0 got a lot of discussion the series didn't explode into the millions. I don't have the old numbers on me, but off the top of my head 2 and 4 were around 50k in the US and Dead Souls was something pathetic like 10k. The series is probably 2-4x the Western playerbase of pre-0 entries.

>__

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Why are people shocked about Yakuza 6? They've had super low sales forever and we knew that while 0 got a lot of discussion the series didn't explode into the millions. I don't have the old numbers on me, but off the top of my head 2 and 4 were around 50k in the US and Dead Souls was something pathetic like 10k. The series is probably 2-4x the Western playerbase of pre-0 entries.

It was already mentioned a while ago by SEGA themselves that Yakuza 6 has sold 800-900k, thats 300-400k in the West.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
It was already mentioned a while ago by SEGA themselves that Yakuza 6 has sold 800-900k, thats 300-400k in the West.
Not really, the 500k in Japan + Asia figure was from only a few weeks after launch and when they say half the sales are international they include the rest of Asia in that. We already know Japan alone is 350k-400k. Asia is separate, so probably 200-250k, which makes the West's (roughly) 186k make sense.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
That's weird,Deus Ex has way more than I imagined to be honest. Not that it doesn't deserve it,in fact it fully does,but I thought it was a flop.

Except if the count has gone insanely up since the PS+ free month