• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
BringBackSonics
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
What a dumb comment from a guy that should know better. Sony is a public company and are therefore obligated to maximize their shareholders interest or minimize its costs. They are not going to go into deals that put their financial interest at a threat. Just stick to directing movie Joe.

Is that what he said? His comments were more a response to Rothman talking about how they are going to replicate what kevin has done with the MCU.

People just want good movies and yeah the track record shows that spider man in the MCU gave us better movies than with Sony in charge so far. People who are sad SpiderMan isn't in the MCU anymore arent saying Sony should have just accepted whatever terms Disney demanded they aren't saying anything about it cause they don't care about the business side of things. Saying Sony did the right thing isn't going to make people less disappointed or look forward to Sony's spider man universe People can be mad about this even if yes technically speaking Sony was right.

Both companies will be fine without each other though. Spiderman is profitable on his own and Venom showed there is an audience for the greater spiderman universe and Marvel has plenty of franchises and has shown an ability to make new beloved characters out of c and d list characters so both will be fine financially but its disappointing all the same

Stop with the reasonable takes, please.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Feige is overrated. The movies are popular, but the storytelling isn't anything amazing. I'm getting sick of everyone acting like he's the greatest thing ever.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
It's not objective in saying that Rothman will have a difficult time replicating Feige's success?

So you honestly don't think he believes that? Or are you just trying to dismiss his opinions by just basically saying he is trolling. We always want candid responses from people instead of canned responses, we get a candid response and then he is accused of being a 'shit stirrer'

How can he be objective about this? He's working in the same universe, at the same company, using the same characters. Marvel not having Spider-Man affects him directly. I don't think he's trolling. Not accusing him of being a shit-stirrer in general either, just saying this particular comment is shit-stirring.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
While Sony sucks for taking away Spider-Man, it's a bigger loss for Marvel. I took a look at the future MCU movies and holy shit, that's a bunch of nonames.

Meanwhile, Spider-Man can be successful by himself. Dream come true: Reboot Tobey Maguire, make Spider-Man 4. When the Matrix can get a sequel and Joker is basically a return to the grounded Bale-Batman, we can also return to best Spider-Man.

Make Spider-Man 4 an awesome reintroduction of Maguire. The Spider-Man 5 features Carnage, ends with Maguire being injured life-threateningly. Then Spider-Man 6 introduced Miles Morales, with Maguire on the sidelines. Movie ends with a teaser of Madame Web.

That's how the MCU started....

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I can see some people in this thread are expecting the guy who ordered Deadpool's mouth sown shut to make bang-up Spider-Man films.

giphy.gif

OP
OP
BringBackSonics
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
How can he be objective about this? He's working in the same universe, at the same company, using the same characters. Marvel not having Spider-Man affects him directly. I don't think he's trolling. Not accusing him of being a shit-stirrer in general either, just saying this particular comment is shit-stirring.

Because any reasonable person who would take a look at what Feige has done with the MCU over 10 years, would agree that it would be extremely difficult to replicate.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
If I had to guess, Sony will be back partnering with Marvel after a couple of failed movies. Then we will rinse and repeat the entire process again.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
People just want good movies and yeah the track record shows that spider man in the MCU gave us better movies than with Sony in charge so far. People who are sad SpiderMan isn't in the MCU anymore arent saying Sony should have just accepted whatever terms Disney demanded they aren't saying anything about it cause they don't care about the business side of things. Saying Sony did the right thing isn't going to make people less disappointed or look forward to Sony's spider man universe People can be mad about this even if yes technically speaking Sony was right.

Both companies will be fine without each other though. Spiderman is profitable on his own and Venom showed there is an audience for the greater spiderman universe and Marvel has plenty of franchises and has shown an ability to make new beloved characters out of c and d list characters so both will be fine financially but its disappointing all the same

No it didn't. It showed that people want to see Venom, Venom vs. Carnage, and ultimately Venom vs. Spider-Man.

The rest of the "Spider-verse" is unproven. People talk about the MCU reviving C and D-list characters but it's a different ballgame taking C-list Spidey villains and working with them in a movie without Spidey and with the only possible "crossover" connection being Venom. And I don't know about you but I ain't expecting the screenwriter duo behind Gods of Egypt to set the world on fire with fucking Jared Leto's Morbius.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
If Sony thinks the public is gonna flock to see a nobody D-lister like Morbius without a creative like Feige at the helm, they are deluded.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Into the Spider-Verse is better than all the MCU put together and doesn't involve lionizing a billionaire war criminal.

Spideman is in a better place not being involved with it.

You do realise that Tony Stark is a fictional entity don't you? And that he isn't currently responsible for the situation in the Middle East?

Like, he's a character in a film and wasn't involved in Desertstorm or any other real life conflicts.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
lmao did you forgot the amazing spiderman that quickly
fuck sony, pos company
fuck them
boycott all their pictures

God damn take a step back, take a breath, it's not the end of the world. Disney was asking Sony to basically hand them their property, how do people still not see the deal was awful?

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, everybody knows that part. But there's got to be some kind of "what if" clause in there somewhere that prevents Marvel from just tearing up the contract and paying some kind of fine or something. Whatever that part is, it's got to be an incredible penalty for Disney to not just say "fuck it" and pull the trigger.

It's called contract law and even Disney can't undo it like they did public domain.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, Sony. You are dumb for not giving up 50% of your profits. They just made $900mil on a random Venom movie. They have no reason to bow down to the mouse.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Feige is overrated. The movies are popular, but the storytelling isn't anything amazing. I'm getting sick of everyone acting like he's the greatest thing ever.
If it were so easy to make a successful cinematic universe, everyone would do it. Feige is a genius. It's laughable to suggest he's overrated in any way.

Replace Feige with anyone else and see what happens.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Sure, but it's about dollars and sense in the end.

100% of "pretty good" is probably going to be more money than a much smaller percentage of something "great".

Oct 27, 2017
Is that what he said? His comments were more a response to Rothman talking about how they are going to replicate what kevin has done with the MCU.

Stop with the reasonable takes, please.
Well he said "it was a tragic mistake " from Sony, but he should know that Disney might come up with conditions that are untenable from Sony's perspective. You don't pull out from a successful joint venture unless one of the party make unreasonable demands that the other party seems unfeasible. Its business 101 and corporate management 200.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Disney made a tragic mistake by asking for more and more.

This whole thing is a good example of toxic fandom being weaponized for corporate gain.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Spider-verse is one of the top favourite films but Spider-verse is the odd film out of Sony's output given it's animated which is a different creative process altogether and that Sony's track record is extremely poor when it comes to Live action films.

Sony went from Spider-man 3 to Amazing Spider-man to Amazing Spider man 2 all in a row and that's not even including Venom which was straight garbage. Sony are just terrible when it comes to Live action not even sure how anyone could be celebrating the split from a creative standpoint. I don't even like Homecoming but that film was far well positively received than all previous films and it was purely because of MCU creative team.

LFMartins86

Nov 7, 2017
If Sony understands that they need a good creative team to handle the franchise and don't interfere too much, Spidey will be fine.
There's no way that giving everything to Disney is a good thing and we are going to miss some of Fox Searchlight's riskier movies in the future.
Disney will always play it safe and there needs to be some risk taking while doing movies.
Yes, Venom isn't great but I rather watch it again than half of the MCU's catalogue.
I can barely remember what happened in both Ant Man's but Hardy's crazy performance will be forever stuck in my mind.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Eh, Homecoming and FFH weren't anything to write home about, so it's not really that big of a deal unless Sony starts making absolute bombs. I doubt they will, but I see no point in me arguing or caring for 2 companies battling it out for a character in which both make mediocre movies for. However, Sony did give us SM2 and ITSV, so ionno. Coin flip?

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Which I HIGHLY doubt will be the same now that Sony sees a new moneymaker with Spider-Verse.
And especially since Spider-Verse wasn't that big of a moneymaker, to begin with, even having Spider-Man on it.
The Secret Life of Pets 2 made more money despite being having a terrible plot, and in a busier time for releases.

Oh, Rothman is gonna have his fingerprints all over a sequel if it ever comes out. Probably they're gonna add Venom (And Eminem :v) on a sequel.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Russo let me buy your house for $51. Trust me, don't make a mistake and miss out on this offer.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Because any reasonable person who would take a look at what Feige has done with the MCU over 10 years, would agree that it would be extremely difficult to replicate.
We pretty m uch agree on this. We disagree on objectivity and the wording on shit-stirring.

Is it any bootlicking that you're against, or just licking the wrong boots?

These are two posts made by two different persons. Are you assuming they'd just call it bootlicking on one side?

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
Sony could make a mediocre Spider-Man/venom movie and easily gross over a billion. The deal just doesn't make financial sense for them.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Why is the narrative here that Disney is an evil corporation overlord that is only concerned with money...

...but Sony is the poor, "good guy" underdog common man who only wants to do what's best and deserves a second, third and even fourth chance?

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Just because Wonder Woman was an amazing movie doesn't mean that the DCEU was a success and that they can do it justice.

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
I think MCU movies benefited more from having Spiderman in them than the standalone Spidey movies did from having MCU characters in them, Far from home was an ok movie, not good, not bad just ok. Homecoming was much better, i know Tony was in it but barely. Can they still mention MCU characters in future movies?

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Why is the narrative here that Disney is an evil corporation overlord that is only concerned with money...

...but Sony is the poor, "good guy" underdog common man who only wants to do what's best and deserves a second, third and even fourth chance?

Probably because Disney has a track record of abusing their position. See dictating terms to theaters.

All corporations suck, some just wield disproportionate power in certain markets.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Again, Sony fucked up here because they assumed – erroneously – that they can replicate MCU Spider-Man's success, which is highly unlikely. The MCU is a powerful brand and now that they are no longer working in tandem, Disney/Marvel has every reason to make certain the public knows that the next Sony Spider-Man isn't part of their stable.

Also, people conveniently forget that Disney didn't just ask for 50% of the profits, they also offered to front 50% of the production budget, which means a healthier bottom line for Sony. Even if this deal means they make less on Spider-Man, there was the potential to bring their other Marvel films into the MCU.

There's a long-game here that Sony continues to suck at. (FYI, books have been written at just how bad Sony is at this game)

This isn't about which franchise you like more, this is about the reality of the film industry as it exists today and Disney's grip on that market, which makes the MCU something they can and rightfully should tax a studio for latching onto. Far From Home is Sony's biggest hit of all time and that has everything to do with it's proximity to the MCU and realistically, even films like Venom and Into the Spider-Verse have enjoyed their success in part because of the comic book film zeitgeist perpetuated by the MCU.

Sony had the enviable opportunity of being a part of the most profitable film franchise in history and they blew it.

Dec 12, 2017

Because as humans, our brains work things out better when we cast good guys and bad guys.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
These are two posts made by two different persons. Are you assuming they'd just call it bootlicking on one side?

The second post was responding to and agreeing with the first, so I was addressing both.

For my money, I agree with Russo if only because Feige is already the most successful producer of all time. That's not easily replicated, especially at the scale and expectations that come with Day 1 in this market. You might get a better result with somebody else, but the odds are against it in the superhero game.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
So sad they walked away from one man, apparently the only man that can produce a good SM flick... apparently.

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
It blows my mind that Sony can keep a character from the company that created it.

It's like Sega prohibiting Nintendo from using Mario.