• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
There's no way to do a batch unfollow. It sucks that anything you played even demos on PS4 are all automatically followed. It would take me forever to go through and unfollow all my games.

The store annoys the hell out of me. It's all built to direct you to PS Plus. Which has it own tab too now. I had to turn my PS4 on to easily see what games were on sale.

There's a bunch of stuff hidden in the "quick" menu. Trophies and power should really be a icon on the top right with settings. Power needs to be out back on a long hold of the PS button.
All of my games are unfollowed by default except the PS5 ones.

How many games did you buy?

OP
OP
Subxero

Subxero

Oct 25, 2017
United States
All of my games are unfollowed by default except the PS5 ones.

How many games did you buy?

I bought Demon's Souls, Spider-Man Bundle, Godfall, and Sack Boy Adventure. The only others I installed are GoT, Ms. Pacman, Genshin Impact, and DQ 11.

When I start up I'm seeing Fortnite, Gta V, and bunch of other stuff. I went to my library and every one of my games I checked showed they were already set to followed. The wierd thing is none of my PS5 games are set to follow.

bbg_g

Jun 21, 2020
I didn't choose the option for PS5 to personalize it during initial setup. I don't see anything on it except for Jaden Smith's new music video but that's cause I have Miles installed and followed I guess? I'm wondering if this also depends on what region you're in and how much you get shown stuff...

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's a little annoying. At least the What's New tab on PS4 wasn't intrusive with what it showed you. The explore page always pops up immediately with whatever new thing is on there, which is usually something you don't care about. Overall I do sort of wish they stuck with the PS4 UI and just made it snappier. The PS5 UI is similar but with some changes that I'm not too big on.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Should've just used the ps5 UI skin over the PS4 UI and its features, added more features that people wanted, and called it a day. Still waiting for the PS5 to feel more "next gen" like a lot of people were claiming in the ps5 ui threads leading up to launch.everybody and their mama was shitting on MS for not making the Xbox series consoles ui cute and new, but guess what all of the features are there that were used to, plus some new ones. Still needs full shutdown added to the power menu. PS5 UI is several steps back compared to the PS4 UI. Why am I scrolling all over the place just to turn the console off from my controller? Now we gotta wait countless updates for them to get it back how I liked the PS4s menus and features.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I always enjoyed the PS4 What's New section seeing what my friends have been playing. This interface is annoying like the old Xbox One interface full of ads I don't care about. The long press to Power menu needs to come back too.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
I feel like I haven't given the new UI a fare shake, it just annoys me because its different abd seems more long winded. I'll sit down with it properly at some point.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
What's this Explorer tab? Never noticed it. In any case, the UI is so annoying, the throphy system is so much worse compared to PS4 and I wish they'd let us remove old games and throphies too.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of like the Explore page, honestly. But I completely agree on the other stuff. It feels like a graphic designer designed this UI to look as pretty as possible, and then they forgot to have people thoroughly test it. It's shockingly unintuitive and cumbersome to get to often-used functions.

PS4 got polished to an incredibly intuitive and well-designed UI in the years after its launch, but even at launch it was a good deal more intuitive than the PS5 UI, despite being almost as feature rich (just missing activity cards basically).

The UI is not completely a bust, of course. The integrated store, PS+, and PS Now pages are miles better than what we had on PS4. Activity cards need reworked into the quick menu (they take up way too much space and have unnecessary elements), but they have a lot of promise. But I think those are the only things that are legitimately better than PS4 UI.

It just needs a lot of work. And I think the backend wasn't reworked enough. A lot of behind the scenes stuff like how storage works is the same as on PS4, which is super frustrating. In this way, it doesn't feel as transformative through its use of an SSD as it should.

Oct 25, 2017
What's this explore tab? I don't have it. My PS5 boots to last 8 played game icons defaulting to the most recent. So atm, I get the GoT background.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
I'll add one... please move that big, huge mega Play / Pause symbol from the middle of my screen to the lower left when I am playing back videos of any type (including 4K blurays). And make it ten times smaller. I'm tired of it ibstructing the giew as I wait for it to disappear.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah...I just turned on my PS5, and this is the first thing I saw:

UZAHEwg.jpg

WHO THE HELL THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA?? Shades of the infamous Batman cover...and it's not even smart enough to look in my library and see that game already sitting there...

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Basically they switched it. A single press brings up activities, with a quick menu at the bottom (that you have to press down to access) . A long press brings up the home/main menu.
Yeah this is massively infuriating. I wish there was a toggle to switch it back to the normal behaviour. I'd even settle for a toggle added to PS4 to switch it to new style there! Right now, often swapping from PS4 to PS5 it is horrible and I always get it wrong!

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah...I just turned on my PS5, and this is the first thing I saw:

UZAHEwg.jpg

WHO THE HELL THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA?? Shades of the infamous Batman cover...and it's not even smart enough to look in my library and see that game already sitting there...
I love that "Over 5 million shipped!" of FF7, as if the consumer is booting on their ps5 to join the SE exec earnings meeting call. I get the marketing idea of "look at all these people that played, they can't be wrong so you should too!" but there's a time and place...

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
I find more things I dislike with the PS5 UI as time goes on. PS4 was way better in this regard.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just give me the PS4 throwback option. I feel like this UI is a step back in many ways. It feels like it takes 1-2 more steps to find information or do tasks.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Also you can't even check Update History on PS5 games like you can on the PS4.

They should be building on what they did right with the PS4 such as folder support and being able to delete unwanted apps.

Starting over completely from scratch with features or options included from the previous gen but missing now is NOT progression, It's regression.

The fact there isn't an option for the PS5 to only enable HDR when a game is actually in HDR seems like a huge design oversight

Less is NOT more, especially in regards to system configuration options.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
Nobody wants the explore tab but good luck getting rid of it
Sony will make a fortune in advertising on it

nss

Apr 10, 2018
I just can't believe they got rid of the "hold the PS button" quickmenu, with quick access to rest mode.

Getting to trophies is also kind of a pain, while playing a game. I wish it was much easier to access them, without resetting the whole layout too (as in, where you were when browsing the trophies for the game). Hard to explain, I'm sorry.

I actually don't know what people are talking about either.

Rest mode can be accessed in Control Center pretty easily. PS button, hold right, double tap X. It's automatic and pretty thoughtless process now on the PS5. Of the many issues with the PS5 OS, this isn't really an issue

jetsetrez

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. I miss the friend feed stuff, I think that was way better than the Explore section.

Also the media section should be pinned to the left as well, it's really weird that it behaves like a game. They should have Store, Media, and Game Library pinned to the left. You shouldn't have to scroll through your lineup of games to get to the game library.

Would also really like if a long press on the PS button quick resumed you to where you were before. Like if you long press to get home from a game, another long press should put you right back into the game.

And trophies should be a quick setting, and there should be much better display of your trophies than the awful activities-like card view. I basically have to have a tab open in my browser for the trophies if I want to check that stuff efficiently.

Would also like to disable activities on a per-game basis. Just make it so there's a quick button press, like say press square when the activities are up to disable them for that game. Loving the system other than some OS annoyances.

supkid

Oct 29, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
The UI isn't great, it took the PS4 one a few years before it got halfway decent as well though, I still remember pining for the XMB at launch.

Jan 10, 2018
The whole Netflix styled "cool pics/vids in the background" theme has never been my forte. I wish it was just a really clean background and some simple text and a couple of button options. The Switch UI is probably my favourite in this regard because it's so barebones that it's impossible not to like it for its simplicity.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
I can't believe that you're unable to manually update a game from your library, you have to have it in the quick launch to be able to check for an update. Such a bizarre oversight, UI feels beta as fuck.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
They ruined trophies and friends. Both are hard to read and navigate and trophies is buried too

Skatterd

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's off you've ever downloaded something.

Seems to only happen for games I've at one time downloaded either the game or the demo
I thought that was the case but oddly there's some games I've downloaded and played that I haven't followed. Weird.
Regardless I've unfollowed everything and am happier now.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I thought that was the case but oddly there's some games I've downloaded and played that I haven't followed. Weird.
Regardless I've unfollowed everything and am happier now.
Is there a single place to see what you followed? And it looks like you can follow games independetnly of owning/wishlisting right?

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
dumb as shit and totally worthless

should default to an Activity tab with pinned Cards + a selection of random ones