• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Subxero

Oct 25, 2017
United States
So I have been enjoying my time with the PS5 except for some UI annoyances.

I want to be able to move or delete the Explore tab. I don't like having the system start up to a page advertising games and YouTube videos. I miss the themes backgrounds like the PS4 had. Same goes for the PS Plus tab.

I also can't find a way to not limit the games tiles to 7. They did this on the PS4 but I was able to turn it off in settings.

When I set my library page to show titles A-Z why does it not save that? It going back to recent or last purchased isn't helpful.

The new store looks nice but it's harder to find stuff. Are there even tabs for sales like on PS4? It seem like I have to go to browse and then scroll through a shit ton of stuff to try to see what's on sale.

I like that the UI is so fast but it feels like it's all flash and has actually went backwards compared to the previous version as far a user accessibility.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I agree on the Explore tab. It's not even surfacing friends' activity or curated videos, just straight up Youtube junk. I got something with a spoiler in the title and screenshot the other day. So yeah, junk.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah fuck the Explore tab. I miss the PS4 UI layout tbh. Was playing my PS4 last night and it reminded me of how easy it was to do things in that UI. And it had folders!

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
Yes the explore tab should be optional, or at least not the starting position, I don't want to see the latest fortnite promotional bs

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Wait till you find out that you can only manually search for patches for the 8 games on the main dashboard but not for the ones in the collection tab.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Bring back the What's New Social Feed. Also, don't make me follow a game by default. Apparently I'm following every single game I've played once. Was showing me GTA V shit when I haven't played or cared about that game in 5 years.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Explore tab.

Nothing better than low resolution youtube thumbnails of Valhalla in your face right after you boot up the console. Let me turn that shit off completely, or at least move it away.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't see myself ever using it. The activity feed on PS4 was better.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Speaking of annoyances.

Microsoft, why the hell do you make me go into the power settings to pick between shutdown and a rest mode?

JT60564

Oct 19, 2020
1) Needs folders
2) Get rid of that awful "Gameplay recording paused..." notification. I could turn this off on the PS4!

Skatterd

Oct 25, 2017
Explore is Garbage. Like if I could control what info shows there MAYYYBE it'd be okay, but it's showing games I don't give a damn about.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
Yeah the whole UI needs another pass imo. Was trying to copy my save from NMS PS4 to PS5 and it was a complete disaster.

EJStyleS

Oct 27, 2017
Fun fact, we don't get the Explore tab nearly as prominent on the UK PS5 interface...not sure about the rest of the EU but it's pretty much absent unless you go searching...it's also vertical and (relatively) subtle instead of in your grill.

Print_Dog

Oct 27, 2017
All I see in there are Fortnite skins. I've never even played Fortnite. I'm sure it'll be better as time goes on tho. But the option to remove it would be nice.

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
No explore tab here in the UK.

This is revenge for us having Singstar plastered on our PS3s since 2009 with no way to remove.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, fuck the explore tab. Last thing I want to see when I start up my system is a big ass 4k Galactus/fortnite/Venom greeting me. It's bullshit.

I believe this is what you see as of right now when you turn on a ps5.

14br-galactus-key-art-newsheader-1920x1080-592377807.jpg

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
I'm fine with having the Explore tab but I wish it was more curated or give me the ability to delete things form the "timeline" and/or drop off the list as read.

As for the store. I like that it is integrated but mine currently doesn't have sales up at the top where they should be. Just the PS+ 12month deal.

It's still early, so I'm not too concerned.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Reading this thread I'm all 'the fuck is the Explore Tab?' but I see being in the UK is the reason, why I don't know, I don't seem to have it. On the other hand, my PS4 Disc Copy of AC Valhalla will not upgrade to the PS5 version like it will in other parts of the world. No Man's Sky - no problem. AC - nope. There are a bunch of little niggles I have with the UI but nothing that is egregiously annoying. I'm sure it will get endless updates - it's only been out for a few days, relatively speaking to its ultimate lifespan.

GlassCup64

Dec 16, 2017
I wish the Explore tab would not show content for M rated games at startup. It's awkward that some Call of Duty game with guns pointed at the player is the first thing that comes up for me at the moment. Don't really want my family seeing that every time I turn the system on.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
We are pretty lucky the ads are limited to the Explore section and not all over the rest of the UI.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Sony is awful about customizing UIs. I have several big complaints about the PS4 UI, and they're never going to be addressed.

I still can't access the Twitch app with scrolling past 8+ icons for media apps I don't use, while the system stutters as it loads huge ads for things I don't care about.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I use to casually browse the ps store and my trophy list on ps4. On ps5 don't even want go into either unless i need to.

The store is a just not well catageroized like on ps4, and the trophy list is taking way too much space.

And the worst thing is there is way too many damn clicks to do stuff.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
- R1 on home screen used to go to the library on PS4. Now it goes to Media tab. Don't change stuff just for the sake of it. Put it back to the way it was and if people want to tab over to the Media section, then use R2, which currently does absolutely nothing.

- Put back game save synching under the individual game icons.

- Add automatic game save synching between multiple systems for PS4 games. You've proven you can do it for PS5 games.

- Turn off forced HDR.

- Let me choose 60 or 120hz output from the system settings.

- Put shortcut to game library on the control center. How no one thought of this is baffling.

denpanosekai

Oct 28, 2017
I just can't believe they got rid of the "hold the PS button" quickmenu, with quick access to rest mode.

Getting to trophies is also kind of a pain, while playing a game. I wish it was much easier to access them, without resetting the whole layout too (as in, where you were when browsing the trophies for the game). Hard to explain, I'm sorry.

Does it not annoy me or am I blind as i've never noticed any "explore" tab in the Ui? What is it?

I actually don't know what people are talking about either.

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Game, PS Store. All that is needed. Don't care about the rest. It's stupid.
"Look, your friend played Star Wars"
Who the hell cares?

Skatterd

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know if there's a way to "mass-unfollow" everything. I'm thinking that will help a lot.
Also not sure what determines if I've "followed" something

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Either I don't understand what you guy mean by "Explore Page", or do you mean the follow/unfollow?

Click on it, and it tells you what game it's from, and there a menu right there to unfollow that game completely. It can't be simpler.

Or in your library, click the game: "..." > unfollow.

Or right after you installed a new game: "..." > unfollow

Last edited:
OP
OP
Subxero

Subxero

Oct 25, 2017
United States
There's no way to do a batch unfollow. It sucks that anything you played even demos on PS4 are all automatically followed. It would take me forever to go through and unfollow all my games.

The store annoys the hell out of me. It's all built to direct you to PS Plus. Which has it own tab too now. I had to turn my PS4 on to easily see what games were on sale.

There's a bunch of stuff hidden in the "quick" menu. Trophies and power should really be a icon on the top right with settings. Power needs to be out back on a long hold of the PS button.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I actually like the explore page, for games I'm following it's cool. If there is a game I'm not wanting to see I hit unfollow.