• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

fivestarman

Oct 28, 2017
Exterior wise - that is a fine looking sedan.

To me it looks like it lends some design elements for Audi.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Sony is going to reveal that the entire car reveal + presenter was a real-time cutscene made by PS5.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Sony has designed an Audi R8 only longer
I mean, it's a great car, so why not!

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Looks good. Somehow looks like a Sony product. It's like if an Ericsson became a car.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
It's a concept? Yawn. What is the point? In no other industry do they unveil concepts so far from the final product. It would be like if they showed the PS5 with a 50 TF GPU, only for it to have 10 TF upon release. This happens all the time in the Auto industry.

Nonetheless, it's interesting Sony is getting into the car business. To me that's the big news here.

They aren't really...the components and sensors they are testing in this aren't necessarily industry specific, they just use the car for specifically testing the use cases and showcasing them to actual car makers. They aren't getting into the business of actually making cars of their own:

Ok, this might put things into a better perspective:

" Sony is aiming to start test rides during the next financial year starting in April to check the performance of its auto- related technologies, a spokesman said. The company has no plans to produce its own cars, he added. "

Ok, so doesn't look like Sony's going into the car manufacturing business and this is more of a reference design for other car manufacturers.

This really needs to be in the OP. Sony will never manufacture its own vehicles. The investment, knowledge, supply chain, etc. required to get into that business would probably bankrupt the division just like Samsungs venture did before they sold it off to a real car manufacturer (Renault).

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Half Audi, half Volvo. I like the design. Further, I think Sony has such a well understood "premium electronics" reputation that it would feel appropriate and trustworthy to people in the market for an electric vehicle.

I could see them actually making a go of it if they ever decided to make it a real business.

Also, check out Charlie's Angle:

C7OTpHY.jpg

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
The design of the car is relatively conservative for an electric vehicle. It looks more like a sort of placeholder for people to imagine a Faraday/Lucid/Tesla/Porsche/Byton or other EV with Sony technology.

If Sony we're actually looking to enter the car business, they'd probably show a more out there concept car, pushing an exaggerated version of their design language.

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone with knowledge explain what the purpose of a concept car is? I never understood why a company would make em to never release them

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone with knowledge explain what the purpose of a concept car is? I never understood why a company would make em to never release them

They are technology and design demonstrations.

Also, advertising. Everybody dream of beautiful cars and a concept is free from the road and safety regulation of production cars so it can look crazy.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Yes... waste your money Sony....
It's not a waste of money. Having optical sensors etc for cars is going to be a huge industry and right now there def are gaps in how some these sensors work, Sony already creates infotainment systems for cars already it's a natural progression to automated car systems and Sony's image recognition tech is pretty damn good.

Pororoka

Nov 1, 2017
MX
"Vision ____" is going to be this decade (or this year at least) "Series ____"? I have seen some brands this past year using it a lot, like that Mercedes Car that was also presented at the show.

I like the car but I wouldn't afford it if it was going to be mass produced.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It's a lot simpler to design a car when you don't have to worry about the complexities of internal combustion engines and drive trains. Makes me wonder if we'll ever see anything of Apple's years of research into making a car, or if that's been put in the vault permanently.

Also, Magna's involvement in this is interesting. They almost bought-out GM or Chrysler at one point.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm really surprised, this would be on my shortlist of cars to buy if it actually released. It looks better than most EV currently on the market, and the interior is amazing.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Looks great. Wondering if there is a car-maker out there ready for a team-up. Something like Ford desperately needs an electric car of this size for the European market.