• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Only because this is a ps+ game and some people bought it not because there was an issue right?

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I've had some luck getting refunds when a game goes on sale quickly, but it was never an automatic process. Hopefully it's true and a new policy they're adding.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So do you keep the license or is it a PS+ Version where it expires along with the sub?

May 19, 2020
this doesn't strike me as an actual relaxation of refund policy but rather a courtesy to PS+ subscribers that bought a game that ended up on PS+

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
This is a nice good faith gesture.
Strange to just start it now though. how many countless times has this happened to people and there was no refund option. And what about if you just bought shadow or greedfall 🤔 If it broadly applies to all PS plus games, that is very cool

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
So you would be refunding owning the game to just subscribing to it until your plus runs out? lol

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Strange to just start it now though. how many countless times has this happened to people and there was no refund option. And what about if you just bought shadow or greedfall 🤔 If it broadly applies to all PS plus games, that is very cool
Maybe moving to a new console/new store has made things easier for them in terms of returning games. There's also the fact that they are selling a digital console which means that they must be aware that their current digital store practices are pretty outdated when compared to the competition.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Automatic refund is kinda weird, because you don't keep the game if your sub expires.

But would be great if it's optional.

bob100

Oct 29, 2017

I presume because the PS5 has just come out and the game only released less than 2 months ago on next gen consoles where people have paid full price.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Uh, echoing the question about licenses. If the user bought the game for the purposes of ownership and they are now stuck with the PS+ version, that would suck. Will that be the case?

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
Tried doing it for Shadow of the tomb raider after buying it on sale....and...nope, no refund.

Beeblebrox

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone here got this automatic refund? I bought it on November 20th, and would love to get PS Plus version and my money back in my PSN account 🙏

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
This is a nice good faith gesture.

Can you buy games that have been entitled by ps+? I'm less familiar with their ecosystem, I heard there were problems.

You used to be unable to buy ps+ claimed games, but now they have sorted the issues out on ps4 and 5 at least as far as I can see.
I can go into a ps+ version and buy it too (or add it to the + library or download if it's already there).

Not sure how it works with disk version of games, but I suspect you can claim the + version even with that.

Beeblebrox

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, just checked my notifications and I got this one, but I don't think I've gotten the money back yet (regular version of the game is still in my library tho).

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
This is interesting. How come only refunds for Maneater, If no refunds for Shadow, doesn't this seem like a one off thing instead?
It could be a publisher thing. Maybe Maneater's publisher is okay with giving refunds to PS+ subscribers while Square Enix does not want the same to happen with Tomb Raider.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
Not sure why people are whinging about losing ownership. Nothing stopping you from buying it again when your sub expires. Will probably be even cheaper too.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
That's nice, I hate the feeling when you buy something and it's immediately announced for PS+ or whatever. Happened within days 2 times for me, once this year, I actually didn't even want to play them anymore at first, that's how salty it made me. Now I just don't buy stuff before PS+ announcement days.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Good of them, this is the type of stuff that should happen. I still hate a lot of the way they handle online licensing and purchasing/refunds but this is a good step if it's a new policy.

Oct 31, 2017
This kind of policy is good to increase confidence of buying some thing without worrying if it's going to end up on a service you already have.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
no it's not. I own maneater and if they refunded me with e PS plus version I would be pissed. I want to own my things not have to subscribe to be able to play.
Just buy it again instead of redeeming it with PS+. It's a little bit of extra work for you but pressing the purchase button and paying with the refunded money before it goes free with PS+ is possible.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
Just buy it again instead of redeeming it with PS+. It's a little bit of extra work for you but pressing the purchase button and paying with the refunded money before it goes free with PS+ is possible.

ah ok see at first I assumed the refunded you and gave you the "plus" licence and obviously Sony like to make it that once you redeem a plus game it can't be bought. I know some games allow this but they are few.

Afaik they refund you the money but don't revoke the licence. So you still own the game even without PS+.

Yes you are correct. I didn't realise that as I said above and assumed they replaced your licence with a plus licence. So all in all this is a terrific move from Sony!!!

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
An unexpected and awesomely consumer-centric move. Goodwill successfully fostered, corporate overlords!

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Tried doing it for Shadow of the tomb raider after buying it on sale....and...nope, no refund.
This is interesting. How come only refunds for Maneater, If no refunds for Shadow, doesn't this seem like a one off thing instead?

The Shadow on sale right now is the definitive edition with all the DLC. The version being offered on plus is Vanilla.

Automatically converting your shadow difinitive edition purchase to the difinitive edition upgrade and giving you a partial refund(in this case $9 since the upgrade is $5.99) would be nice, but that's a different and more complicated thing.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, I bought it at retail, but I think I only paid $12, so I'm not upset. The game is very dumb, but was a fun stupid break from the other stuff I've been doing lately.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I got the message on my PS5 2-3 days ago as well, bought ManEater 11/21 when it was on sale. Still haven't actually received the refund though afaik.

The PS5 version is a bit buggy, I had a lot of FPS issues and lag, and some graphical glitches on and off. I think there was at least one more patch, hopefully most of its ironed out before it comes on PS+ next week.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Seems a very pro consumer movement. Good on them. Do other online ecosystems do the same? How it becomes a usual thing for all.