• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This doesn''t even classify as a slogan. It's not a unique phrase and 'discover your next ...' is as generic a marketing line as they come.

It is generic, but Game Pass has been using it for several months now (I distinctly remember it being mentioned at E3). It is their slogan, plastered everywhere and was inside ads. It's kinda hilarious they took the exact same words and used them, but it's no big deal. Just... there's no way nobody knew MS is already using the exact same phrase. I mean, imagine if Samsung launched a new phone now with a dark mode, and they used the exact same slogans Apple used for theirs. It's not copyright infringement but it's funny.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
It is generic, but Game Pass has been using it for several months now (I distinctly remember it being mentioned at E3). It is their slogan, plastered everywhere and was inside ads. It's kinda hilarious they took the exact same words and used them, but it's no big deal. Just... there's no way nobody knew MS is already using the exact same phrase. I mean, imagine if Samsung launched a new phone now with a dark mode, and they used the exact same slogans Apple used for theirs. It's not copyright infringement but it's funny.

It''s genuinely the first time i''ve seen the phrase used for Gamepass, and it's on the website as a blurb.

Is it on any of their off-site ads or billboards?

Deleted member 15311

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is indeed funny (and I'm sure the thread would look a lot different if some company names would be different :D)
oofff, i'm sure of it.There at least 5 users mocking and defending this that if it was the other way around, they would be singing a different song.

That said, this is a generic phrase, it's kind of reaching by the OP.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I actually think this phrase has been used for a while already in regards to PS Now, which itself has existed for much longer than game pass.

SnowHawk

Oct 28, 2017
England
I'm sure Microsoft are thankful to have fans like you that are concerned about them and their integrity and well being.

This is just a nothingburger of a thread.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Why did I just waste 10 mins of my life even reading through this thread.. I need to stop procrastinating over shit that doesn't matter lol.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
What would the responses be like if MS were the ones who did what Sony did here? I highly doubt they'd be any nowhere near as dismissive.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
What would the responses be like if MS were the ones who did what Sony did here? I highly doubt they'd be any nowhere near as dismissive.

Earth 2 is just a portal away..

pgif3.gif

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
LOL this is one of the most commonly used phrases in marketing ever, just put "Discover your" into a search engine and see how many completely different marketing pages you get. It's a phrase that's been going for decades and hardly one I'd associate with Game Pass in any notable way.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
Not a big deal either way, but there seems to be a lot of apologists for something that is quite blatantly aping a direct competitors slogan.

Ishka

May 1, 2019
So many Sony defenders in this thread!

No one should go to jail over it, but its still pretty pathetic from Sony. Some of the defenses here are comical.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yeah like, no one is saying they did something illegal and should be sued over it. they just stole the slogan of a very similar service. yall need to chill with the defensiveness.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So many Sony defenders in this thread!

No one should go to jail over it, but its still pretty pathetic from Sony. Some of the defenses here are comical.
Listen to yourself, "Sony defenders" "pretty pathetic from Sony"

The only comical thing is your response to people saying its not an issue.

Infact its not even comical, it's sad. Go for a walk or something.

Or google "discover your next favourite" and see how many things come up way before gamepass was even a thing. It's a slogan that is used worldwide by marketing, except the only common thing here is they both sell games.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
This is one of the most pointless criticisms I've ever seen. It's literally a very generic sentence on a website.

sponger

Dec 7, 2018
My girlfriend is a Senior Copywriter - this kind of situation is usually reason for legal infringement. (She works at the agency which covers some of the lagest global brands)

Repetition of a copy is major issue in her industry and that's the reason why you need to have Senior Copywriters in the management (besides the quality of messages they follow "all-brands-messaging-history" to ensure smooth delivery of messages from all standpoints - creative, legal, innovation, clear-messaging etc.). They need to ensure that all your products are following basic Marketing Strategy and Meta Naratives and do not copy other brands. It is bad from the legal view, but also damaging brand's reputation.

This is responsibility of PR and Copyright/Marketing teams at Sony. It shows that this has not passed any quality control (includes part of legal team usually).

They will need to change it or even confront lawsuit from Microsoft lawyers.

Last edited:

Hoo-doo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
My girlfriend is a copywriter - this kind of situation is usually reason for legal infringement. (She works at the agency which covers some of the lagest global brands)

Repetition of copy is major issue in her industry and that's the reason why you need to have Senior Copywriters in the management (besides of quality of messages). They need to ensure that all your products are following basic Marketing Strategy and Meta Naratives and do not copy other brands. It is bad from the legal view, but also damaging brand's reputation.

This is responsibility of PR and Copyright/Marketing teams at Sony. It shows that this has not passed any quality control (includes part of legal team usually).

Joke post, surely.
There is zero chance this throwaway blurb is going to hold up to a lawsuit. Nobody owns this phrase and people have been using 'discover your next XYZ' for decades.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
I mean If they are going to use their infrastructure they may as well use their marketing. Jk.

It doesn't matter. It's low effort but I don't see an issue

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My girlfriend is a copywriter - this kind of situation is usually reason for legal infringement. (She works at the agency which covers some of the lagest global brands)

Repetition of a copy is major issue in her industry and that's the reason why you need to have Senior Copywriters in the management (besides of quality of messages). They need to ensure that all your products are following basic Marketing Strategy and Meta Naratives and do not copy other brands. It is bad from the legal view, but also damaging brand's reputation.

I guffaw'd.

Ghost Slayer

Oct 30, 2017
My girlfriend is a Senior Copywriter - this kind of situation is usually reason for legal infringement. (She works at the agency which covers some of the lagest global brands)

Repetition of a copy is major issue in her industry and that's the reason why you need to have Senior Copywriters in the management (besides the quality of messages they follow "all-brand-messaging-history" to ensure smooth delivery of messages from all standpoints - creative, legal, innovation, clear-messaging etc.). They need to ensure that all your products are following basic Marketing Strategy and Meta Naratives and do not copy other brands. It is bad from the legal view, but also damaging brand's reputation.

I would love to see this happens just for drama lol

sponger

Dec 7, 2018
If I told you that once they did get warning from Chanel lawyers for one Project on which they worked included one sentence which is close resemblance to the sentence that Coco Chanel once used in one of her interviews?

They didn't know for that sentence but they immediately changed it. That's practice in copy industry. Large brands can be very very protective.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
If I told you that once they did get warning from Chanel lawyers for one Project on which they worked included one sentence which is close resemblance to the sentence that Coco Chanel once used in one of her interviews?

They didn't know for that sentence but they immediately changed it. That's practice in copy industry. Large brands can be very very protective.

A line from an interview is quite different than a throwaway sentence that's been used in tons of media. Should Gabe Newell sue Microsoft over using the line too?

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Greatness awaits -> You next favorite game awaits.

Hire me Sony.

sponger

Dec 7, 2018
Let's make it a joke.

Sony: "All games you love at One place"
Microsoft: "Play your beloved games Now"

Peace & Love to all of you <3

Ishka

May 1, 2019
Listen to yourself, "Sony defenders" "pretty pathetic from Sony"

The only comical thing is your response to people saying its not an issue.

Infact its not even comical, it's sad. Go for a walk or something.

Or google "discover your next favourite" and see how many things come up way before gamepass was even a thing. It's a slogan that is used worldwide by marketing, except the only common thing here is they both sell games.
Not sure if this is a serious reply or not?

Good work pointing out that "only common thing" is they both sell games though - as that is really the critical point. No one said the phrase is trademarked by Microsoft so its use by others is irrelevant. Clearly Microsoft and Sony are direct competitors. Using the same phrase to market a similar product is strange by any reasonable measure.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Came into the thread expecting a bunch of different stuff being copied... Found a single phrase that isn't even that original. I can totally see it being a coincidence.