• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017
It was a decrepit example of a cover shooter even at the time. Tiny, boxed-in, narrow level design against pop and shoot enemies. And that was when the game was at its best for an approximately one hour period.

At its worst you were engaging in insta-fail stealth sequences and QTE sequences like it was 2006 all over again.

I swear this forum will never let this drab disaster of a game just rest in peace.

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
Imagine if they decided not to make any more Devil May Cry games after DMC2, yall annoying saying no lol.
It has a lot of potential and in capable hands it can be something great.
In "capable hands" anything can be great, lol. Why not just make something new at that point without the useless baggage of a failed IP.

Pining for successful but dead IPs I get, but wishing for failed, dead IPs to come back is just a bizzare obsession that Era has.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Imagine if they decided not to make any more Devil May Cry games after DMC2, yall annoying saying no lol.
It has a lot of potential and in capable hands it can be something great.
Now imagine if DMC2 was actually DMC1.

Franchise would have been dead. That comparison makes 0 sense.

elbageluno

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 4, 2022
I am sort of baffled this thread keeps getting made. Even if you are someone who likes the game, it was hardly a cult classic, critical success, or smash hit that would justify further investment. It has had next to no lingering attention, why in the world would Sony make a sequel instead of a new game that might attract a new audience.
It was also a bad game. One of the times I was burned the most spending $60 on day 1.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
The Order 1886 should've been Victorian Horror Mass Effect instead of whatever the hell the original game was. There might be sequels if it was an RPG instead of an ultra-linear corridor shooter that went super hard on telling an incredibly generic story.

So yeah, they're missing an opportunity of doing something special with the IP

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure a sequel would had that "uncharted 2 sequel" come-up if it got the chance; I liked what the game had to offer; it must've really failed to meet Sony's expectations for it and ready at Dawn to be dropped like that.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked this game and enjoyed it just as much as Gears of War 1-4.

I think if they had a sequel ready to go within a year or two, this could have become a pretty good franchise. We're not exactly drowning in 19th century games or anything.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
It was worth the tenner I paid for it but not much more. Yes it looked good but it was horribly linear and very short. The potential for a sequel is there but it would be such a fundamental start from scratch that I doubt Sony would ever think it was worth it.

Gwendly_

May 27, 2020

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
The world, style, setting and some of the basic mechanics had a ton of promise. Taking it to 1886 (Steam Punk) -> 1986 (80's Retro) -> 2086 (Future Sci-fi) would have been a pretty cool series of games.

Would love to see a sequel personally.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Now imagine if DMC2 was actually DMC1.

Franchise would have been dead.
I mean thats the whole point no? Killing the franchise then would mean no DMC3, 4 and 5, or in this scenario 2, 3 and 4. Hell want something more accurate, how about Mega Man. The first game was a trainwreck and Capcom had zero interest in a sequel until Inafune and his team just started to work on one in their spare time, and that spawned a whole-ass franchise. The point is you dont give up on something with potential after one misfire. Maybe you dont see it, but others do.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
It was crap. The only reason anyone still talks about here is because it was exclusive. If it was a Ubi or EA game we'd never have heard about it again.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
I waited so long to buy and play the game, I think I ended up spending $3 on it. I shouldn't have listened to the internet. The length does prevent it from being worth a full price, but I found it really fun and entertaining and would have been fine spending $20-30 on it.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
It has awful characters and a stupid plot. Even its much vaunted "world-building" is poorly thought out and written.

There is nothing to "redeem". Game was trash.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
No they're not

It was a boring game that squandered its great premise of "immortal knights of the round table kicking ass"

You spend most of the game killing poor people

s y

Nov 8, 2017
I mean thats the whole point no? Killing the franchise then would mean no DMC3, 4 and 5, or in this scenario 2, 3 and 4. Hell want something more accurate, how about Mega Man. The first game was a trainwreck and Capcom had zero interest in a sequel until Inafune and his team just started to work on one in their spare time, and that spawned a whole-ass franchise. The point is you dont give up on something with potential after one misfire. Maybe you dont see it, but others do.
...no?

The first devil may cry was already successfull enough to warrant investing in the franchise and considering the fucked development of the sequel, it would make sense that Capcom would give it a 3rd try. If DMC2 was the first game in the franchise, it would be dead.

The Order 1866 was not successful at all and considering the costs of AAA development, you can't compare this to Mega Man either.

Especially considering there were people at Capcom likely passionate in continuing work on the IP. The Order was a contracted game to a studio that is now a wholly owned subsidiary of Facebook.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I'm curious as to why this game never became a PS Plus offering? Or did it and I missed it?

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
...no?

The first devil may cry was already successfull enough to warrant investing in the franchise considering the fucked development of the sequel. If DMC2 was the first game in the franchise, it would be dead.
I mean yea, and we wouldnt get the sequels then. We are currently missing out on the DMC3 of the Order, potentially. One thing I will admit to not thinking about is how bloated the AAA budgets have become so the risk is MUCH higher than years ago, but if made well and perhaps by a popular dev team this could easily do better than an entirely new IP for example.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Ryse and The Order threads back to back, yall really chose violence (and mediocrity) today 😟

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Order sucks. Just make a new franchise instead if they want a co-op series. Not everything has to be based on old IPs.

FLEABttn

Oct 25, 2017
i have this theory that people love the order 1886 if they like camp, but not because it's camp

that said, steampunk as an aesthetic is basically never good

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing good about 1886 was the presentation. Story was bad. Gameplay was bad. And due to this, there's a lot of negative public opinion about the game.

Sony nowadays makes games that have good stories, gameplay, AND presentation. So why would they return to this IP that was never good to begin with, and be forced to overcome the negative public opinion about it?

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Now, take this setting and world and add in co op and you got something here. It doesn't even have to focus on werewolves. There could be other supernatural entities you battle as well.
That would be such a let down.

The Order 1886 should've been Victorian Horror Mass Effect instead of whatever the hell the original game was. There might be sequels if it was an RPG instead of an ultra-linear corridor shooter that went super hard on telling an incredibly generic story.

This I can agree with though.

number8888

Oct 27, 2017
The Order 1886 was great at everything except game play which already seemed dated when it came out. I would have love a sequel with the same high production values and technology, but with improved game play don't does away with repetivitness and QTE's. I also think the world setting and lore had potential even though the story is mediocre.

Lueken

Dec 15, 2017
I thought it was well setup for a sequel. Loved the world. They don't need to go open world, but if they allowed the player to deviate a little from the path, it would be a day one for me.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
don't think the game worth it, played at launch and it left a bad taste in my mouth. Gameplay was not interesting, story was all not that interesting, the cliffhanger was just bad. The only good part was graphics at the time, but i don't like "steampunk" that much to enjoy the aesthetic, so ... i don't think there is anything to be "missed as franchise"

Oct 30, 2017
Cool setting. Just don't give me a super linear TPS.

Turn the world into a story telling RPG or something with build out mechanics and customization.

PlatypusDude

Oct 25, 2017
Sony should bring back Lair and Haze those looked cool to me /jk.

Nobody will care about a sequel to a bad game a decade out. The Order's setting can be done by a new IP in an interesting way if someone desires it. Instead of reviving a mediocre at best cover shooter that wastes its premise.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Turning it into a multiplayer L4D clone would rob the title of the few redeeming qualities it had. I wouldn't mind more from the extremely interesting setting, but I'd go in a direction that varies enemy encounters, makes bosses interesting and really dives into the lore and world. And even then while there's a lot of potential there, the first game was an extremely hollow experience outside of its visuals. Not sure it's worth trying to make it all work again.

ElCidTmax

Oct 28, 2017
For a game that ended by setting itself up for a sequel, it's kind of a shame that it was a one and done. But it was a good but not great game that was pretty short and ended abruptly, and the numbers weren't there to support a sequel. If it was a reasonable success Sony may have continued support, but it really seemed like Sony lost confidence before the game even came out.

Can you imagine what the reaction would have been if this 7 hour game came out for $70? Sony probably did the right thing considering that people complain that their 40-50 hours games are too expensive.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think so. I agree that Knights of the Round Table fighting supernatural horrors in alternate Victorian era London with fantastical Tesla weapons and gadgets sounds awesome. But The Order 1886 is bad and the IP is dead. I don't think there's any salvaging to be done here.

The-JUV

Oct 25, 2017
If Sony were ever to revisit this universe they should make the main character Lady Lakshmi. I know nothing about game development, but if they were to reuse all the assets and continue the story from her perspective as a budget title I would totally be down for that. No idea how expensive it would be to do that though lol

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
I'm reminded of how dreadful the werewolf AI was in this game. They acted like those hide 'n seek charging enemies in Dead Space 2 except stupid and completely predictable. Also wasn't this games plot essentially 'white elite good, poor and brown bad - oh wait, elite bad, brown sometimes good, maybe?'. Earth shattering stuff. Like it was more toothless (but I guess also less problematic?) than Bioshock Infinite's Vox Populi plotline.

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
Many more less deserving games received sequels that fixed the issues of the first game.

Truth is The Order 1886 wasn't a bad game, and was unfairly targeted. Shinobi himself said it sold well enough for a sequel, it's just the toxic vitriol thrown its way that cost it one.

El Crono

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
To this day The Order is one of the most impressive graphical showcases I've ever seen in a game console. That cliffhanger ending, the interesting universe the game managed to build, and the fact that it was just too short to delve deep in that universe made me want a sequel the moment I put down my controller.

Dr.Osiris

Oct 14, 2018
I finally played the order last month (huge backlog) and I really enjoyed it. Amazing graphics. Played on my ps5.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
i replayed this recently since it was like 5 bucks, and it still holds up as a graphical showpiece and i did somewhat enjoy the story, but fuck is the gameplay just barebones and uninteresting.

feel like if we got a sequel last gen it couldve potentially been something special if they really improved the combat and added some variety, but that ship has sailed i think.

HK-48

Jan 14, 2021
England
If you've not played it then play it(it's really short) and tell us your thoughts after? I don't think they are missing out at all.

gattotimo

Oct 28, 2017
It had an interesting enough story and very good graphics. Problem is: there wasn't a game to support it. Very very VERY boring game, so little to do and so bland. An hypothetical sequel wouldn't have anything but the setting to build upon