• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ConanEdogawa

Oct 31, 2017
Step by step, next they won't be available for purchase at all, then you won't be able to redownload them. I thought about this happening last year and starting picking up physical copies of most of the favorite PS3/PSP games.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
Quick research shows that newer Vita games like Romancing SaGa 3 and Utawarerumono: Prelude to the Fallen aren't even accessible from the Vita store and only from the webstore. (I don't have my Vita with me to check) does that mean they are basically going to be delisted?

Utawarerumono: Prelude to the Fallen shows up if your search for it on the Search Bar BUT is doesn't show up on the New Release List, and it doesn't show up on the general game list.

Scrolling down through the New Release List back to November 2019 doesn't show up Romancing SaGa 3, the game doesn't show up is you search for it on the search bar and the game doesn't show up on the general game List.

Christ this is a mess!!!

AndyVirus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sick of all the PS3 avatars showing up in search results but the games themselves? Hell nah.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I find it funny the Vita had such a big cameo in Cobra Kai and The Last of Us II recently.

People at Sony have definitely not forgotten about it.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
I actually think Sony is just getting rid of all the crap that was done during that gen in terms of online structure and having everything available at their respective consoles is the best way for now. Doesn't mean PS3 and previous consoles won't show up sooner or later with their newest architecture.

There's way too much smoke to just not be nothing. There's been way too many cameos and easter eggs in games about Playstation as a brand to not be nothing.

PadPoet

Lead Community Manager at Socialpoint
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Barcelona
I actually think Sony is just getting rid of all the crap that was done during that gen in terms of online structure and having everything available at their respective consoles is the best way for now. Doesn't mean PS3 and previous consoles won't show up sooner or later with their newest architecture.

There's way too much smoke to just not be nothing. There's been way too many cameos and easter eggs in games about Playstation as a brand to not be nothing.

The PS3 and PS Vita stores are one instance/version of the store and the PS4 - and I'm guessing the PS5 - is another.

The first one is a ROYAL mess. The second one is ok.

PSN infrastructure in general has many issues because of the way it was built.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why the hell would they deliberately not list PS3/Vita games on the webstore? Is there any legitimate reason for this?

My guess is the backend infrastructure is old and holding back the company from implementing new policies, tools and features. It'll take an overhaul to update it (Microsoft took years) and more additional work to transfer the older contents over so Sony leave them back.

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
we have a backwards compatibility program for the ps3/psp/vita...quick delete them off the webstore, next lets remove their references from our history pages

look we all get the ps3, it makes sense, but the throwing the psp and vita library in a shallow grave is an odd way of embracing your Legacy.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Those old games ain't playable on PS4 and PS5 moving forward, so I don't suggest anyone to hold their breath in those old games returning to the new infrastructure. PS5 not supporting those legacy content is already a huge sign

OdjnRyu

Nov 8, 2017
The PS3 and Vita stores are really awful to navigate. It's much easier to link to something and buy it via the web / mobile. This really sucks!

Can PSP games be purchased via a PS3?

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Sony's support for the Vita has not just been pretty poor during its natural life cycle, but abysmal after its untimely demise. I can't believe I'm saying this, but its digital storefront has somehow managed to be worse than Nintendo's, a company that until this gen didn't have an account system for digital purchases.

Oct 25, 2017
Downloading PS2 and PS1 classics just gets more annoying. It sure is cool that Sony actively gives zero fucks about getting those games onto PS5. People loved making fun of Nintendo for not letting VC games carry over easily between consoles, but Sony has been just as bad, if not worse, about respecting its legacy.

Sony's support for the Vita has not just been pretty poor during its natural life cycle, but abysmal after its untimely demise. I can't believe I'm saying this, but even Nintendo of all companies is much better than them at almost every aspect of their respective digital storefronts.
Yeah, it's honestly pathetic.

Combined with how quickly Sony likes to pull servers on some games, it just doesn't paint a pretty picture for their games down the line.

honorless

Oct 28, 2017
If true...I'm less upset about this decision than I expected to be after checking my wishlist. Not a lot left that isn't available elsewhere. Sucks, though. I hope Sony says something official ahead of the cutoff so I can be sure...

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Even that level of "iffy" is far better than the way many games run on RPCS3. I'm not talking strictly about performance, but visual glitches, game breaking bugs, progression stoppers, save corruption, etc.
The difference is that it is bunch of hobbyists right now getting impressive results, going mostly blind, vs Sony engineers with complete system hardware and software information. Basically it's doable, but Sony doesn't really care as they don't see the monetary uptake and "who wants to play these game" Jim Ryan at the helm.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Actually the worst thing about this whole scenario is that Vita emulation is almost non-existent (what's a vita?). So basically once Sony shuts down ability to purchase/download Vita games, a whole slew of digital only titles will be gone.

I really need to get off my rear and hack my Vita so I can grab a 512GB microsd card and back everything up.

The issue is that Vita memory cards are small(ish). If you have a large Vita digital library you wouldn't be able to fit everything on a single card and I don't think restoring multiple backups works very well. Plus if you upgrade your Vita firmware version, I am not certain the above will even work.

Jan 11, 2018
How is it that it's supposed to be happening so soon and we don't have any official source for this information yet? Like, information meant to be shared with the general public.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
It's getting bad how often this is becoming a thing on here. If you read the comments you'd think the OP was about a completely separate issue than the one it is actually about.
Last time I used the store on my PS3 it would crash just from opening That's why I basically shopped exclusively through stores because it was simply a better experience. I'll probably go ahead and grab the classic games I've been missing and simply not worry about it anymore.

CloudCircus

Dec 9, 2017
Let's not forget the fact that you can't transfer games from your Ps3 to Vita if you have 2-factor verification turned on. Silent Hill and Metal Gear Solid can only be transfered to the vita from PC or Ps3 btw

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
Actually the worst thing about this whole scenario is that Vita emulation is almost non-existent (what's a vita?). So basically once Sony shuts down ability to purchase/download Vita games, a whole slew of digital only titles will be gone.

I really need to get off my rear and hack my Vita so I can grab a 512GB microsd card and back everything up.

The issue is that Vita memory cards are small(ish). If you have a large Vita digital library you wouldn't be able to fit everything on a single card and I don't think restoring multiple backups works very well. Plus if you upgrade your Vita firmware version, I am not certain the above will even work.
Apperantly the official Content Manager can be iffy to get running but there's an Open Source version that works just as well with less issues trying to install it on PC: https://codestation.github.io/qcma/

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Lot of people seem to think that the stores are getting completely shut down, which isn't the case as the games can still be bought from the console, just not through a browser / app. Might be an idea to add it to the topic title? Seems people don't read the full post xD

Makes sense for Sony to do this. Put the focus on the PS5 and PS4 and get rid of the legacy devices. Really curious how it ends up looking.

The next step is typically complete shutdown, I'm not gonna sit here and assume it will be here much longer after the web store is gone. The ps3 store is a joke, I rarely use the consoles to buy games.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Apperantly the official Content Manager can be iffy to get running but there's an Open Source version that works just as well with less issues trying to install it on PC: https://codestation.github.io/qcma/
Oh, I do have it. The problem is size of the vita card. Even the 64gb (crap for quality) is not enough for a large digital library and you can't combine multiple backups... unless the open source one can help. Going to check it out, thanks.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

What do you mean multiple backups? You just backup a game individually. It's not like you're backing up the whole Memory card everytime.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, looks like it's finally time to buy some of the PS3 stuff in my wishlist.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017

I've got all of my psp and vita games backed up to pc using QCMA

Way better than Sony's official software

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope this isn't true. I just bought a ton of DLC for some PS3 games last week and it would have been an absolute nightmare to download it all on the PS3 itself. I mean it was still a whole thing on the web store. I don't want to have to deal with the native stores.

Redbarrel

Sep 10, 2020
It's good that a new app is coming because just last week I was buying a game and I had to confirm 10 times for it to work.