• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
The stark contrast between how Microsoft and Sony handle their legacy catalog is only getting more apparent.

PC still stands at the top when it comes to compatibility of course, but Microsoft is at least investing legitimate time and money into ensuring an ecosystem with Xbox that the PlayStation team just doesn't seem interested in.
It doesn't really matter how compatible my pc is if the games I have don't exist on it. I really really hate how Sony doesn't value their legacy content.

mangrilla

Aug 28, 2020
Washington, DC
They are removing the wishlist?? It's one of the best parts of their online store. It's very handy to dump a bunch of stuff in there and then just browse during sales to see what's been discounted.

Arrogant Sony 2.0 is not messing around.

Assumedly part of the separation here to likely upgrade the store is that the wishlist is tied to the old store. So they will still have a wishlist going forward, you just have to rebuild your own from the looks of it. Sucks if you have an extensive wishlist, but I just went and looked at mine and realized I had actually bought most of the games on there in a recent sale and didn't care about the rest.

Wait, so how am I supposed to buy BC PS4 games?

You will still be able to do that through the store? This is for PS3/Vita and for PS4 themes, not games.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Clearly this is because they are going to start whitelisting PS3 games for PS5, and dont want any confusion on the webstore.

Clearly

I SAID CLEARLY
tenor.gif

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
That's hella whack but now makes a LOT more sense as to why they've been trying to pretend those platforms don't exist the last year during sales.

If they were doing this the right way we'd get one final MEGA PS3/Vita sale. But we all know that won't happen. So those games will just sit there giving them reason to turn off the Vita/PS3 stores because "no one was buying games there for full-price".

Really hope I'm wrong. As I still buy PS3/Vita content through the web store as it's a much better store interface than the consoles.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Because it's a complete mess having themes for PS3, PS4, and presumably even PS5 all on the same webstore. You have to put disclaimers on everything and people don't bother to read. Makes more sense to have those items available on the storefronts directly for the console they're designed for. They don't need to be on the webstore.

Same with apps. What value is added having multiple versions of a free Netflix app all on the same webstore, when you could just download it directly to your chosen console?
Because PS3 store is so bad it might as well not even exist.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
It doesn't really matter how compatible my pc is if the games I have don't exist on it. I really really hate how Sony doesn't value their legacy content.
That's absolutely correct.

Gravity Rush narrowly escaped this, but what about other great first party games like Puppeteer, Soul Sacrifice, Freedom Wars, or Oreshika? Or third party games relegated to the console like Drakengard 3 or Metal Gear Solid 4?

What happens to them when the storefronts for the PS3 and PS Vita inevitably close down?

Last edited:

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Guess I'm going to have to throw all of my wishlist games into a word doc. I'd imagine they're doing a revamp of the wishlist for PS5.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
All Digital Future is going to suck
I'm going to assume everything you've bought you'll be able to redownload or Sony will get dragged over the coals.

And if you can, then this isn't really a big deal at all. At this point you'd have bought whatever you're interested in on those old ass systems.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
God Sony sucks so fucking much.

The PS3 store is absolute asscheeks to use these days. Ever since they updated it to resemble the PS4 store it's been a sluggish and near unusable mess. And that isn't even getting into how I have to sift through a download list filled with 10 years worth of shit if I want to find a specific item that may have been delisted at some point.

Also, it still blows my fucking mind that they haven't attempted to unify avatars across their systems. I've got a bunch that I can only use if I log in from my PS3 and change it there, so it looks like it'll be the same shit for PS4 avatars going into PS5.

I wonder if this will have any impact on the PSDLE Chrome extension.

playXray

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Other than cost buy stuff there hasn't been any PS3 or Vita sale for a long time.

There's PS3 stuff on sale all the time. Tales of Zestiria is on sale right now:

Tales of Zestiria - Digital Standard Edition

As a bonus for purchasing the digital edition of Tales of Zestiria, receive two extra items br- Mystic Artes for Alisha, Mikleo and Lailahbr- Exclusive Tales of Zestiria ThemebrbrIn a world torn by war and political skirmishes, accept the burden of the Shepherd and fight human darkness to...

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This fuckin sucks, I still buy games for the ps3 like ps1 and ps2 classics. Bought some like a month ago. It already irritates me that they never go on sale anymore.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
I guess that means that PS4 Themes won't be transferable to the PS5

I guess it was obvious but I have a lot of PS4 themes 😔

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to assume everything you've bought you'll be able to redownload or Sony will get dragged over the coals.

It's nice to want things. I can't see that happening tbh.

Edit: Unless you mean redownload on your PS3/PSP/Vita.
I'll never understand this sentiment. There's plenty of shit that I missed out on from as recent as last generation that I'm still picking up today.

Same literally finished El Shaddai on PS3 less than 10 minutes ago, and just started Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay (before I play Assault on Dark Athena) on PS3. Still buying games for PSP, PS2 and PS3.

Deleted member 8688

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Guessed something like this was happening from the store pages for PS5 games (eg here, but the link for the PS4 versions takes you back to the old store).

The new store will probably be a unified global storefront which will mean they can finally support things like gifting. Gifting was too problematic to implement with the current region-specific stores.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There's PS3 stuff on sale all the time. Tales of Zestiria is on sale right now:

Tales of Zestiria - Digital Standard Edition

As a bonus for purchasing the digital edition of Tales of Zestiria, receive two extra items br- Mystic Artes for Alisha, Mikleo and Lailahbr- Exclusive Tales of Zestiria ThemebrbrIn a world torn by war and political skirmishes, accept the burden of the Shepherd and fight human darkness to...
Thats the PS4 version, PS3 version is not on sale.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Leaving legacy software behind is an awful move, but I welcome a new PS Store. The current one is terrible.
They could do both. New store and keep the content listed. I can somewhat understand PS3 and Vita being removed. But PS4 avatars, themes, ... and your wishlist deleted. That's nonsense.

Madrugador

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
There a still a few Vita games I want to buy, but after this I don't expect them to go on sale ever again.

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
I haven't bought anything on the PS3 in probably 7 years. Whenever they changed the store the 1st time (probably back in 2009?) it was practically a shitshow.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully this isn't true. That would kill any hope for BC in the future, unless this is just a matter of flipping a switch.
People need to accept that PS3 BC is never happening. The only sliver of hope would have been if it was used through an emulator on PS5. It's not. It's dead, it'll never happen unfortunately.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
I use my vita to play a lot of ps1 rpgs. Going to have to bite the bullet and buy the ps1 games I've been sitting on.
I know that I can buy directly from the consoles but the web store is so much more handy for purchasing AND triggering a download.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

And if you can, then this isn't really a big deal at all. At this point you'd have bought whatever you're interested in on those old ass systems.
To me if you are committing to serving up old game content and making it available to re-download then you have already committed to 80-90% of the effort needed to keep offering those games for sale. So to do the former and take away the later just seems stupid.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
It's nice to want things. I can't see that happening tbh.

Edit: Unless you mean redownload on your PS3/PSP/Vita.
Yeah, on Steam you can still download and play games removed from the store for whatever reason. Games being delisted for licensing reasons (Forza for example) can also be downloaded again as long as you bought them.

If they take away the games AND the ability to download them forever on the systems you bought the games on, then this does suck though and i'm sure it will blow up.

Oct 28, 2017
What happens when they shut down the actual Vita store? Becuase that did happen for PSP. I would like to think I already own every Vita game I'd want at this point, but you never know. This sucks. You suck Sony.

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if this will have any impact on the PSDLE Chrome extension.

PSDLE works off the data the current web store uses so if store no longer exists then it will no longer work.

It's possible this may drive someone to reverse engineer the process for starting a remote download though.