• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Were they just not going to tell users until it happened? Wtf? That message is clearly not for average people, they can't even give us a month or put things on sale so those who want to grab some of the library can do so.

The ps3 store is unusable, the psp store is already shutdown, and the vita store isn't updated. All while nothing ever goes on sale anymore.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Clearly this is because they are going to start whitelisting PS3 games for PS5, and dont want any confusion on the webstore.

Clearly

I SAID CLEARLY
tenor.gif

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
The source is Sony communication with development partners. The change will occur later this month.
Have you seen this personally yourself where it says it'll launch on the 19th? The document floating around from that French website has a bunch of formatting errors and sources someone who is "anonymous" so I'm still a tiny bit sceptical. Although Sony removing features wouldn't shock me so I can see this being legit.

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We don't know. From this news, it doesn't sound like it, but we have no idea if a full shutdown is coming and what that means to downloads.

Probably not full shutdown just removal from mobile and web presence. These services are most likely being removed from the main PSN to cornered off as legacy data / code.

Deleted member 13077

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This does fit in with a theory I've had for a little while that you are going to see a PS1-3 backwards compatibility solution this generation, but it's going to be closer to what Nintendo is doing than what Microsoft is doing.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
I thought if anything they would do this the other way around: shut down the stores on the consoles and keep the webstore available for purchases for those platforms. This is crap.

On the other hand, I don't think I recall the last time I saw a sale with any PS3/Vita/PSP game that wasn't just because the PS4 game on sale happened to be crossbuy.

Uuuuugh, finding shit on my download list on the PS3 is going to be terrible.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
They are removing the wishlist?? It's one of the best parts of their online store. It's very handy to dump a bunch of stuff in there and then just browse during sales to see what's been discounted.

Arrogant Sony 2.0 is not messing around.

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Not a fan, because I find it much more easier to search for things on the webshop than on the console stores themselves.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
Seriously debating selling my OLED Vita and my PS3 Slim. I havent used them in awhile, but they are just ticking time bombs at this point. If the harddrives or 64GB storage card dies on them, they are useless outside of possible homebrew.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
PlayStation 4 apps, themes, and avatars will also no longer be available through the web and mobile storefronts once the changes roll out
Why? I mean, yeah, there's a ton of clutter in the store with this kind of stuff but to prevent people from buying them on the web store entirely is just stupid.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
They are removing the wishlist?? It's one of the best parts of their online store. It's very handy to dump a bunch of stuff in there and then just browse during sales to see what's been discounted.
Yeah ditching wishlists seems dumb especially considering they'll be on the PS5 store itself.

You would expect them to be adding features not removing them.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
I understand removing ps3 and vita games from the webstore so it's not holding future next gen back (although I don't like it or what it continues to say about Sony's attitude towards its old games).

But why remove the wishlist? Are they replacing it with a new improved wishlist?

ShortThug

Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
unsurprising but still upsetting. games exist exactly as long as platform holders and publishers allow them to.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
PlayStation 4 apps, themes, and avatars will also no longer be available through the web and mobile storefronts once the changes roll out, while content from your existing wishlist will be removed.

Why that's utter nonsense to remove PS4 apps, themes, avatars and the wishlist. Is this some kind of bad "we believe in next gen" joke?

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
With regards to the wishlist, and this is my own personal speculation to be clear here, I get the impression they've overhauling how all that works on PS5. I imagine they're doing it properly this time, you're just going to have to start over.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I know most people will be annoyed by this, but personally I hate seeing PS3 and Vita games when I'm searching on the web store. This is a welcome change for me.

There was never any hope for PS3 BC with the Cell architecture.
This is not a good change. Sony is a billion dollar company. I can't believe they are incapable of setting up a store where you can search for games by platform.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man they should have given us more time to prepare for this...

Thankfully on PS3 I was physical only but it's all the digital only games and DLC that won't be easy to find manually through hundreds of download list pages.

ps3ud0 8)

playXray

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Does this mean PS3 games will no longer go on sale? I've been waiting for the House of the Dead games to go on sale before I buy them.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Have you seen this personally yourself where it says it'll launch on the 19th? The document floating around from that French website has a bunch of formatting errors and sources someone who is "anonymous" so I'm still a tiny bit sceptical. Although Sony removing features wouldn't shock me so I can see this being legit.
Yeah, the formatting errors and image resolution makes it scream fake to me. And why are the dates hyperlink? Makes no sense.

Totally sounds like something Sony could do though.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
But why remove the wishlist? Are they replacing it with a new improved wishlist?
Even a new and improved wishlist wouldn't make it necessary as a developer to remove the content on the list. It's nonsense by Sony. I might not be a game developer, but I am a web and software dev.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
The stark contrast between how Microsoft and Sony handle their legacy catalog is only getting more apparent.

PC still stands at the top when it comes to compatibility of course, but Microsoft is at least investing legitimate time and money into ensuring an ecosystem with Xbox that the PlayStation team just doesn't seem interested in.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Wait a minute. Why would they stop you from buying themes, avatars, and apps from the PlayStation Store on web/mobile? That's dumb. And why kill the wishlist feature?

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Why that's utter nonsense to remove PS4 apps, themes, avatars and the wishlist. Is this some kind of bad "we believe in next gen" joke?

Because it's a complete mess having themes for PS3, PS4, and presumably even PS5 all on the same webstore. You have to put disclaimers on everything and people don't bother to read. Makes more sense to have those items available on the storefronts directly for the console they're designed for. They don't need to be on the webstore.

Same with apps. What value is added having multiple versions of a free Netflix app all on the same webstore, when you could just download it directly to your chosen console?