• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
psvita-fin-playstation-store-pc-mobile.png

The press release this is supposedly based on.

Seems pretty clear.

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
It will never stop blowing my mind how hostile Sony is toward their legacy software. The PS3/PSP/Vita libraries are way too good to be swept under a rug. They should be celebrating them!
Thank God for the Vita homebrew crew

Sony is confirmed ass for the umpteenth time

But you can still buy that software from the consoles themselves. This just affects the web store. I mean it's bad, but not that bad.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Ooof the PS3 PS Store.

OOOOOOOOOF...my PS3 can't even access it anymore without locking up lmao

svnty6rs3

May 13, 2020
They aren't doing this unless they see the % of people downloading ps3 and psp games is low enough that it isn't a big deal.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Why would they not just create a legacy section on the store that is a separate site? Fuckin Sony just dedicate resources to BC already.

Bunty Hoven

Oct 30, 2017
Going to have to grab those lingering Japanese PSN titles now as I think the task of navigating the PS3 store in a different language via console is beyond me.

At leastI have a PS3 - feel sorry for PSP owners who don't.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like this one bit. I still buy legacy content pretty frequently, especially for Vita, and the native stores are garbage.

Also I know PSP-only owners are probably a minority, but it sounds like they're getting shafted since they can't use their native store?

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I sold my PS4 last week. The only hardware I still have in my home is this..

9YWF37VPYSREXE88mteYgk-1200-80.jpg

...and this...

white-sony-playstation-psone-ps1-psx_1_9fb78bf0474df51e35c386352d9773b8.jpg

I guess I can still get to the Vita store....if it lasts.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
That's 20 years worth of content being removed from the webstore.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
But you can still buy that software from the consoles themselves. This just affects the web store. I mean it's bad, but not that bad.

I realize that and its still a pain in the ass to do.
The vita store is not responsive at all and to search for stuff you've already brought to download is ridiculous.

Scroll down long list of purchases from ps4 then vita then ps3 to download a single psp game and when it closes you have to scroll all the way back down from start.

I'd probably bet money they still haven't fixed the issues with transferring Metal gear solid 1 and Silent Hill to vita yet too.

Its just reaffirming my decision to never buy a handheld from them again if they ever become stupid enough to enter that market again

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
So if that press release is correct we got 11 days of notice before this change. Nice. Couldn't even give us a month.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FUCK - hmm will PSDLE still work to allow you to look at your PS3 purchases using the website?

The PS3 PSN store isn't fit for purpose so would be near impossible to download everything you own easily...

ps3ud0 8)

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Damn, looks like they might be closing off redownload for PS3/Vita sooner than I expected. Maybe I need to rebuy one and back all my shit up.... I somehow was assuming they'd eventually bring this stuff forward, silly me.

Oct 28, 2017
What? Why should we be happy that they're removing PS3 and Vita games from the web store?
I'm not happy about the removal of the purchase option but happy about the elimination of technical debt. It is very much known that they have been struggling with the shoddy implementation of PSN and its database structure since the beginning of the ps4 days. This decision will have a technical reason behind it. People who think Sony does this to annoy ps3 or vita owners are moronic kids

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
FUCK - hmm will PSDLE still work to allow you to look at your PS3 purchases using the website?

The PS3 PSN store isn't fit for purpose so would be near impossible to download everything you own easily...

ps3ud0 8)
I doubt it, a new store probably breaks the plugin. If it does work though, that would relieve a lot of my heartburn with this decision. Though I'd still like to be able to actually buy stuff.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
The final nail in the coffin for those who thought Sony might someday offer backwards compatibility with their legacy consoles.

I just wish my PS3 hand't yellowlighted on me.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
My bet? The PS3 / PS Vita networks were built on a house of cards. It's one of the reasons that the username changes took so long.

Cutting the cords from those systems will prevent the PS4 / PS5 from being held back.

Yeah. It's unbelievable how Sony is still paying the price for those early mistakes regarding everything online. Seriously

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
I'm not surprised this is happening. I've noticed PSP and PS3 games have disappeared from the sales pages too. Before they'd put PS3/PSP/Vita and PS4 games on sale but now whenever there is a sale they only list PS4 games. It's frustrating because there are quite a few games I'd like to still get on PSP and Vita but I've been holding off for a sale that doesn't seem like its ever coming.

There's always hope.

There really isn't though. It would make way more sense to port any PS3 games publishers are interested in bringing back then developing an emulator. Hopefully developers were more careful with their source code back in the 7th gen.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Clearly this is because they are going to start whitelisting PS3 games for PS5, and dont want any confusion on the webstore.

Clearly

I SAID CLEARLY