• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Why can't they have like a bare bones site for legacy products? PS vita store is at least usable but PS3 system store app has been so sluggish for like 10 years now lol.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Buying Xbox 360 games on the current Microsoft Store still involves some legacy weirdness and sometimes things don't work right. I wonder if Sony faced a similar issue, but decided it was better to just cut off legacy support moving forward.

Oct 27, 2017
Glorious digital future.

Oh well, as long as they don't take away my ability to earn PS3 trophies until I've finished my PS3 backlog I can deal with that.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Seems kind of odd (if someone who knows more about this stuff has perspective I'm missing, please share) to remove them from the web completely but as long as the stores remain functional on the systems themselves, it's not a huge deal.

The store and apps need overhauls and I'm glad next gen is making them do it.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Even though you can still buy the game from their native console stores, this is a horrible move.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised at this but it's a big exclusive reveal by Push Square and without a source. No one else is reporting this and Push Square isn't exactly known for cutting edge investigative journalism. Let's wait before we get concerned.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
It's worth the slight inconvenience to the tiny handful of people out there buying Vita and PS3 games online because the online storefront was cluttered and desperately needed a refresh.

Tratorn

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to it if true. :)
Leaving legacy stuff behind would be a good sign that they want to make this a cleaned up interface.

Last edited:

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I really hope whatever they're doing with the store allows for better store updates.

Their current system of seemingly uploading new games one at a time in the morning or updating sales prices by manually going down a list just seem so weird and outdated. They really need a system that will allow them to upload new games or set sale prices in advance and then just enable them with a flick of a switch.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Hilarious that the company that is now trying to sell an all digital console is showing just how volatile that really is by prepping to shut down the digital stores on their old consoles. If you have a PSP Go, it will become essentially useless without the store, just like the PS5 Digital will be when its store goes down. Just another reason why all-digital is not a good future.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
So they shut down the PSP store on the device itself, meaning I have to buy games via a web browser and then download them to my PSP via the activation list.

Now if they're shutting down the browser store I'm just completely SOL on digital PSP games?

Well fuck.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
Buying Xbox 360 games on the current Microsoft Store still involves some legacy weirdness and sometimes things don't work right. I wonder if Sony faced a similar issue, but decided it was better to just cut off legacy support moving forward.
I think they've improved this with the new store though (iirc)

Conjo

Oct 27, 2017
Lei Colmosna
So they shut down the PSP store on the device itself, meaning I have to buy games via a web browser and then download them to my PSP via the activation list.

Now if they're shutting down the browser store I'm just completely SOL on digital PSP games?

Well fuck.
IIRC the PS3 could download PSP games to transfer them but that would be the worst solution

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
Ugh. The PS3 store crashes every time I use it.

Also if you want to use paypal the PS3 and Vita stores don't support it and you had to use the web store.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
psvita-fin-playstation-store-pc-mobile.png

The press release this is supposedly based on.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a great strategy for instilling confidence in your new digital only console.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Oof! Need to get MGS4 digital before it gets shutdown.
Pretty seen we'll be doing the same for WiiU. So I need to get that in order too. All DD future sucks.

Deleted member 44122

removing 2 gen old content for visibility, ok. but removing the wishlist, themes, avatars, etc? why?

Kalasai

Jan 16, 2018
France
EDIT: I see it's just the web storefronts, so not the end of the world but still annoying. Hopefully that's all that's going away.

Vita too? Didn't that just hit EOL a little over a year ago?

I guess I need to get the PS3 plugged back in to see if there's anything else I need.
I think move away the old generations from the store front means new backend too. Perhaps some modifications for a new PSN architecture on PS5 with no worries about the old code implementation for older console.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
IIRC the PS3 could download PSP games to transfer them but that would be the worst solution

It can but even that is a rough solution. You either have to use the PS3 Store to queue downloads (bad idea since it crashes usually within 5 minutes), use your account's purchase list to do it (viable but slow, especially if you have hundreds of owned items), or use the web store to push downloads to your PS3 (fastest method, but still unsortable and might be getting disabled with this update).

Even then it's a pain. For instance, you have to disable 2FA if you want to move stuff from the PS3 to your PSP because they never bothered to get it working with the new authentication.