• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Sony plans to launch a new PlayStation Store on the web and mobile later this month, which will remove the ability for you to purchase content for legacy consoles such as the PlayStation 3, PS Vita, and PSP. PlayStation 4 apps, themes, and avatars will also no longer be available through the web and mobile storefronts once the changes roll out, while content from your existing wishlist will be removed.
While you'll no longer be able to purchase PS3 and PS Vita content from the PS Store on web and mobile, the platform holder is not shutting the storefronts down; you'll still be able to buy content for both consoles using their native PS Store apps, although Sony has been failing to display new releases in the PS Vita storefront for years now.
https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/10/sony_launching_new_ps_store_on_web_and_mobile_this_month

I'm guessing this is the first step towards closing PSN on PS3 / Vita. I hope Sony has a viable BC solution worked out by then.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
so basically if you want to buy anything on PS1,PS3,PSP, or Vita buy it now?

edit: should've read the 2nd paragraph, you'll have to suffer the PS3 store to buy PS3 game stuff now

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Why the hell would they deliberately not list PS3/Vita games on the webstore? Is there any legitimate reason for this?

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
One final time: Vita means life (death).

Edit: Woops, misread the title. No issues then. Although the store on the PS3 itself sucks ass, it was easier buying games on the webstore.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Awful.

Just try buying something on the PS3 store. I'll see you 3 hours later while you're waiting for the page to load.

drock5k

Aug 3, 2018
EDIT: I see it's just the web storefronts, so not the end of the world but still annoying. Hopefully that's all that's going away.

Vita too? Didn't that just hit EOL a little over a year ago?

I guess I need to get the PS3 plugged back in to see if there's anything else I need.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing PS3 and vita stores are going down soon.

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
It's been bugging for me constantly on Safari so this is awesome news. I can barely log in with private mode when I'm lucky. Been driving me crazy. Hope they fix that compatiblity issue with this new version.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully this isn't true. That would kill any hope for BC in the future, unless this is just a matter of flipping a switch.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know most people will be annoyed by this, but personally I hate seeing PS3 and Vita games when I'm searching on the web store. This is a welcome change for me.

Hopefully this isn't true. That would kill any hope for BC in the future, unless this is just a matter of flipping a switch.

There was never any hope for PS3 BC with the Cell architecture.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
so basically if you want to buy anything on PS1,PS3,PSP, or Vita buy it now?

edit: should've read the 2nd paragraph, you'll have to suffer the PS3 store to buy PS3 game stuff now
well my ps3 can't even load the store since some years ... seems like I won't buy any ps3 games anymore

manustany

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Space
It's been bugging for me constantly on Safari so this is awesome news. I can barely log in with private mode when I'm lucky. Been driving me crazy. Hope they fix that compatiblity issue with this new version.
Same here, and layely I have issues even with Opera. Fingers crossed this new platform will solve the issue.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Why the hell would they deliberately not list PS3/Vita games on the webstore? Is there any legitimate reason for this?
To streamline the search results.

And I guess they can move forward with a new system for ps4/5 and keep the old stuff active on seperate servers without having to worry about changes messing up the specific storefronts

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to (hopefully) some new features from the store. Gifting, cancelling pre-orders, digital returns, etc.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Leaving legacy software behind is an awful move, but I welcome a new PS Store. The current one is terrible.

TheSentry42

Nov 2, 2017
I wish Sony would have some kind of presentation or video or blog that laid out all their next-gen non-game software plans like the PS Store, OS, Online services, and that Create/Share functions.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
removing legacy games from the web store is such an idiotic decision. Especially for PSP since they shut down that system's native store ages ago. It also points out the issue with digital-only consoles

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
To streamline the search results.

And I guess they can move forward with a new system for ps4/5 and keep the old stuff active on seperate servers without having to worry about changes messing up the specific storefronts

Just have the search auto-default to PS4/PS5, and make it so you have to actively search for Vita/PS3/PSP games?

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
I wonder if it'll still list PS3/etc stuff on your download list on the web store, because if not, good fuckin' luck getting stuff queued up on the original platforms.

I've actually spent time over the last few months getting all my digital PSP stuff downloaded onto a memory stick just for this sort of situation. I just didn't expect it so soon (the lack of advance warning, though, I did expect). I was gonna move on to my digital PS1 games and eventually my digital PS3 games later, but I guess I'll be bumping that schedule up.

Noire

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason I can't buy anything on PS3 store. There is no purchase button. I wonder if it has anything to do with my PSN id change. I've been wanted to get some ps1 games there... and online store has been weird and not letting me buy anything on it either . So I guess I should just give up.