• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
Avengers by far. That thing came and went so fast.

Cyberpunk has sold very well from all indications and it will get a re-launch when the next gen patch hits.
From a financial standpoint you're right. But from a PR point of view this is developing into something so much worse as this game was way way more hyped than Avengers.

PaperSparrow

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, I actually don't know what the other consequence would have been. My boss explained the penalty we incurred as it actually affected our workflow slightly (lowered priority on certifying our games when other games need certification) but we never really found out the details of anything beyond that.
Makes sense. Probably one of those things only the higher ups know until it happens and I can't imagine it happens often, if at all.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
From a financial standpoint you're right. But from a PR point of view this is developing into something so much worse as this game was way way more hyped than Avengers.
Well if Cyberpunk was more hyped it wasn't for a lack of SE and Sony trying with Avengers. There was a shit ton of marketing behind Avengers. It was more that not many people cared about the game. Even with all the open betas they did and how many people got free copies of the full game (myself included) just not many people cared about the game. And there is no saving that game at this point. I just looked it up and apparently a new character was released a few days ago....yet no one is talking about it. I think SE may eventually cut the cord and stop future plans of additional characters. This has been an absolute financial disaster for SE.

Whether the general public cares much about how Cyberpunk runs, I guess we'll have to wait and see. If it continues to sell well then I'd say no. If sales drop off a cliff after bad WOM, you may be right. But again, CD Projekt will get another launch when the next gen versions release. Right now they are likely selling a ton due to the hype and holiday shopping. When the next gen version releases next year I'm sure most of these issues will be fixed and there will be a lot more owners of the PS5 and XSX, many of whom will be anxious to try the next gen version.

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
People didn't get the faulty version until a day before release. PS4's version metascore is currently at 35/100(one review lol, but I don't expect it to end up much higher).

This is some bullshit and I am surprised this shady tactic isn't being talked about more. I feel like if this was EA or Activision gamers and gaming media would be rightfully calling this shit out.

I am glad I decided to wait until ps5 patch. Hopefully I can get a pa5 before that happens lol.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I really don't like this opinion. If it is such a technical mess, CDPR shouldn't sell the game on the console. It isn't the consumers fault for expecting a game to work as intended. Plus many people buying the game don't follow video games like we do, so how would they have known it would be a technical mess? They just see gameplay footage, see the game is available on PS4, and then decide to buy it.

I will never understand why people continue to defend CDPR like they are this tiny indie dev studio. They are a multi-billion dollar corporation. If EA put out a game in this state, all we would hear is how they are a greedy company that doesn't care about putting out a polished game, they just want money. But CDPR puts out a game that's riddled with bugs and people are like "oh it gives it some charm." I'm really tired of the double standards.
What? I'm not defending CDPR, I'm saying they shouldn't have released this on base last gen hardware, because it was clearly not gonna work without severe compromises.
Base consoles, especially the Xbox One S, have been struggling with games for like 3-4 years now. Obviously the game should've been released in a better state than it was on those systems, but it shouldn't have come as a surprise to people.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
How does a game that's fundamentally broken on 2 of 3 platforms and buggy as hell on all 3 get a fucking 91? Reviewers have absolutely failed in their assessment of this game.

Many places were even provided with stock capture to use for their videos, so you can tell how things may have gone. To have a game that is broken on 2 out of the 3 platforms, and still get 90+ metacritic is mindblowing.

I wonder how many of these outlets will even bother reviewing the console versions. Or maybe they won't, because they may get blacklisted by CDPR. Who knows.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm waiting for my copy to arrive from Best Buy w/ steelbook that I was originally going to play on a base PS4. After everything to come out this week about its performance, I plan to return it immediately and will wait when I get a PS5 to rebuy it. I thought about keeping it for shits and giggles, but not when I could also have $60 back in my pocket.

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
Many places were even provided with stock capture to use for their videos, so you can tell how things may have gone. To have a game that is broken on 2 out of the 3 platforms, and still get 90+ metacritic is mindblowing.
This is nothing short of scandalous, it's infuriating to be treated like that as a consumer by both CDPR and the gaming media.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I'll never understand how this game made it past Sony and MS certification. What a fucking joke. I've seen titles denied release for much less than this.

I would assume that Sony and Microsoft can't risk their version being delayed due to certification issues and the version on their competitors consoles passing certification and releasing on time. Plus it was going to be released on Steam and GOG regardless of console certification status.

I seriously doubt it's possible for a major game like Cyberpunk 2077 to fail console certification no matter how bad of shape it's in.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017

I wonder how many of these outlets will even bother reviewing the console versions. Or maybe they won't, because they may get blacklisted by CDPR. Who knows.
Because reviewers weren't allowed to share their own gameplay and we know why lol

CDPR got its free pass when it comes to reviews, it's unsurprisingly sad

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Never had a game crash 10 times in a single play session, on a console. (PS5)

This game is really broken. There has to be some memory leak.

Some interesting bugs I had while playing yesterday.

Last edited:

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
Because reviewers weren't allowed to share their own gameplay and we know why lol

CDPR got its free pass when it comes to reviews, it's unsurprisingly sad
Then they shouldn't call them reviews but featured marketing videos.

What CDPR tried to pull here was avoid a situation like AC: Unity and Mass Effect: Andromeda where bugs became viral and tarnished their reputation. I'm frustrated that CDPR actually succeeded in getting a free pass by most reviewers because you know all the other big publishers will follow the exact same template from now on.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
Bugs and performance issue are only the tip of of the iceberg. The game in some aspects feels like a game out of the ps3 era, rockstart and ubisoft have left them behind in open world, i can't beleive these are the same guys who made witcher 3.

TW3 felt very dated to me in some aspects upon release so I'm not surprised at all. The quest writing is what carries that game.

mtel

Oct 29, 2017
Giving this a go in UK. As someone who's never requested a refund before, I'm guessing this won't count as my 'free' one because of the state the game is in?

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I'm becoming convinced it's just the internet, with its usual negativity, blowing the severity and frequency of these bugs way out of proportion because I've been playing for hours with no serious bugs on my XSX. Unless I missed something? What makes it so unplayable?

breakfuss

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Heartbreaking. I have the PS4 version and was planning to play on PS5 but now I'm not even going to open it. May just return it.

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
I'm becoming convinced it's just the internet, with its usual negativity, blowing the severity and frequency of these bugs way out of proportion because I've been playing for hours with no serious bugs on my XSX. Unless I missed something? What makes it so unplayable?
Everyone I know playing this on PS4 has at least one crash every two hours.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017

To be fair, the majority of critics were not reviewing the console version of the game and their reviews did not appear on the metacritic page for the Xbox or PlayStation versions of the game. They were never presented as anything other than reviews of the PC version of the game. I don't think critics should be obligated to play every version of a game (all 7 of them) in order to review it. Reviews for those versions of the game are starting to come in and they are understandably much harsher than the reviews for the PC version. It's on CDPR for not providing review copies of the console version.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, at some level this has to seem unethical to someone involved in the process, shouldn't it? I can't imagine paying full launch day price for a super-hyped game, maybe something you have been waiting for years for... bringing it home, and getting 12 fps in combat on your PS4 or Xbox One. I feel confident in saying that no one who worked on or tested this game on the base consoles at any stage would have thought "yep, that seems ok to me, job done".

Witcher 3 can be scaled down to run on a potato, and some youtube vids of CyberPunk PC running below the minimum requirements looks like, while ugly, at least the game on old hardware can be made to be 25 - 30 fps. Which is not wonderful, but is at least playable, certainly a sight better than 12 fps. It's almost like they should put a "performance mode" option that detects your base console and lets you set everything to low in 720p.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone I know playing this on PS4 has at least one crash every two hours.

Never had a game crash 10 times in a single play session, on a console. (PS5)

This game is really broken. There has to be some memory leak.

Some interesting bugs I had while playing yesterday.

So it looks like crashing is the main bug people are suffering through? Is it mostly on PS4? I haven't had that issue at all.

Aug 9, 2018
What? I'm not defending CDPR, I'm saying they shouldn't have released this on base last gen hardware, because it was clearly not gonna work without severe compromises.
Base consoles, especially the Xbox One S, have been struggling with games for like 3-4 years now. Obviously the game should've been released in a better state than it was on those systems, but it shouldn't have come as a surprise to people.
I don't think people were surprised because it ran bad, a lot of people were expecting it would run bad based on all released footage leading to launch, they were surprised that it ran worse than what they were expecting (at least IMO).

Plus outside of enthusiasts most people would have had no idea at all that PS4 and X1/S versions would run so bad because CDPR never showed any official gameplay demo running on those systems.

What you are missing is it is unplayable on last generation consoles, it is playable on PS5 and XSX consoles.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
The OT here is filled with people talking about their problems and there's videos all over the internet with examples of various bugs across all platforms. Of course you're missing something.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Cyberpunk has sold very well from all indications and it will get a re-launch when the next gen patch hits.

So, relaunch in 2023 then? this game is sloppily put together, they would have to change entire stuctures and routines to make it into something else or something that would be adequate for this time and age.

i wouldn´t even be sure if they are able to fix all the bugs and glitches and even if they do this, they would have to program new AI routines, new system scripts and so on.

people often think "ah well, they will patch it up" but there is always the possibility to make things even worse with patches when you rush it. these things often take far longer than expected, otherwise they would have already relaunched Anthem. and Avengers is broken to the core, this game is basically dead in the water.

the kicker with CP2077 is, they have already raked in huge sums of money so now they have all time in the world to make changes, they have no pressure anymore because the financial success was definitely there, even when the game is in a more than questionable state.

"i have no bugs or i just don´t see them, game is fine"

nope, it isn´t, the game is a big pile of steaming trash in its current state.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
To be fair, the majority of critics were not reviewing the console version of the game and their reviews did not appear on the metacritic page for the Xbox or PlayStation versions of the game. They were never presented as anything other than reviews of the PC version of the game. I don't think critics should be obligated to play every version of a game (all 7 of them) in order to review it. Reviews for those versions of the game are starting to come in and they are understandably much harsher than the reviews for the PC version. It's on CDPR for not providing review copies of the console version.

Oh yea, absolutely. Reviewers, journalists and influencers can only work with with what they are given.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
👇
It's abundantly clear that sacrifices had to be made in order to get Cyberpunk 2077 running on PS4 — but that's no excuse. On Sony's base system, the game's performance is woeful, with both a dire framerate and an egregious amount of pop-in. It's a bit better on PS4 Pro, but it's still not good enough. On PS5, via backwards compatibility, it's a night and day difference thanks to a (relatively) smooth 60 frames-per-second, but the game's still plagued by bugs, and, worst of all, a consistent crashing issue that shuts the software down every couple of hours, pretty much without fail. Frankly, it's a disgrace — especially after CD Projekt Red went on record in multiple interviews saying that the console versions of Cyberpunk 2077 would be up to snuff.

Before we start, I played on a launch model PS4 and I didn't get the chance to test PS4 Pro as I don't have access to one. But, my god, does the PS4 version look like an absolute pile of trash. The graphical downgrades here are significant and make the game almost impossible to play. I don't have the sharp eye or the technology to find out, but I can't imagine the game is running at 1080p. It might not even be at 720p. Draw Distance is incredibly short and the entire screen has the muddy smeared look I mentioned above, with this only being exacerbated in combat sequences and high-intensity action.
www.psu.com

Cyberpunk 2077 Early PS5/PS4 Hands-On Impressions - Grand Theft Auto On Steroids, An Engrossing World, With Horrific PS4 Performance - PlayStation Universe

Read our Cyberpunk 2077 PS5 and PS4 early hand-on impressions to see why the game's world and stories are best explored on PS5 and not PS4.

If the game remains relatively playable in its scripted sequences, with a few hiccups here and there, the exploration in the open world is often laborious, even sometimes unplayable. Textures that don't display or are runny, pronounced aliasing, low definition, overdue framerate, freezes, lagging interface, crash ... these Fat versions are a striking proof that Cyberpunk 2077 should have never been anything but a next-gen game.
www.jeuxvideo.com

Test du jeu Cyberpunk 2077

Quel bien curieux lancement que ce Cyberpunk 2077. Ses longues années de développement et les difficultés rencontrées au cours de celui-ci semblent s'exacerber avec l'arrivée des versions PS4 et Xbox One Fat, consoles sorties en 2013 et que l'encart ci-dessous concerne. Bien que Cyberpunk ait...

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
What you are missing is it is unplayable on last generation consoles, it is playable on PS5 and XSX consoles.

In fairness I don't have the game (I'm waiting for patches before I choose to dive in), but from what I have seen captured on Youtube the Xbox One X seems quite playable. Its not optimal, for certain, but it is way better than the base consoles. But I definitely recognize that the userbase for the Xbox One and PS4 is going to be much larger than that of the One X.

SlickShoes

Oct 27, 2017
I'm halfway through the game now, played 14 hours or something and had 11 crashes, I put in my refund request with this reasoning on day 1 and I'm still waiting.

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
Then they shouldn't call them reviews but featured marketing videos.

What CDPR tried to pull here was avoid a situation like AC: Unity and Mass Effect: Andromeda where bugs became viral and tarnished their reputation. I'm frustrated that CDPR actually succeeded in getting a free pass by most reviewers because you know all the other big publishers will follow the exact same template from now on.

This. It's funny how so many people support the sites that gave the game high score based on PC.The gaming media got played by CDPR. They wanted to signal boost decent scores for an already overhyped game by hiding the terrible console ports.

Except for PCgamer no other sites bothered to mention specs and put a disclaimer before the review saying it's PC only. Tons of people would have bought it not realizing there is a huge difference between running it on 3090 rtx and their PS5. Oh lower specced PC gamers and PS4 players of course got shafted worse.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
I am also amazed by how many perfect reviews/generally favorable reviews the game is getting. To project how a game can be without bugs is more of a preview than a review. They're really not proper reviews. This whole situation is basically a "video game industry caught with its pants down" situation from the developer to the reviewers to MS and Sony looking the other way until it's too late. A game from a dev that now has a pretty solid reputation for being horrible to their employees, finally releasing after being delayed time after time and still is in an undesirable state; crashing, doesn't play as intended and can cause seizures and still gets many perfect if not near perfect reviews because of another short-lived hype train.

Maybe I'll buy CP2077 when it's $20. Maybe. But as I've suspected this game is mostly hype and doesn't meet expectations. We've seen this before, all the red flags were there.

Last edited:

Vundu

Dec 9, 2017
All Sony has to do is check all my he crash reports. I have submitted loads already due to constant crashes.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
They did the same with the first port of Kerbal, it was broken enough for a refund. Still had some 90% reviews from journalists who obviously didn't play the console version and wrote it based on their PC experience.

Historically console companies were controlling the games on their platform very aggressively because physical copies had limited shelf space, it was way too tight and they even rejected games when they were competing against their own first parties.

It went the other way with digital stores, if they want to be perceived as having fair business practices towards all developers, it means they must approve any game that passes all the TCRs. There's no TCR saying the game must be fun, or beautiful, or without gameplay bugs. As it should because that shouldn't be the role of a platform. Rejecting based on "quality" is a big can of worms. And the large third party studios seem to get a free pass with day-1 patches and a broken game on the disc, which shouldn't be allowed.

The problem here is that the game was purposefully never shown on old gen nor reviewed correctly on old gen, and that's the crass move. Any studio refusing to send a copy as retaliation for a bad review should be exposed publicly (not sure this happens anymore?). And reviewers with a spine should explain what a "press kit" is and how some studios abuse it with requirements that are clearly unrelated to spoiler protection.

There's a risk this generation might suffer a similar problem with XBSS, but obviously much less dramatic since it's a smaller power/memory difference, same CPU, storage speed, etc... They might never have game footage of the lower target platform before launch if the presskit forbid this.

Last edited:

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
I had this preordered and backed out a week before launch because I wasn't trusting what I was hearing.

To me this game doesn't just seem buggy, it doesn't seem as compelling as what was marketed. The policing system, the lack of being able to change your characters appearance, etc. all of it speaks to a much shallower game than I was led to believe existed.

I'm watching tons of videos of goofy AI glitches, cars turning 2d when looked at from even a medium distance, people falling through the floor, people looking away from a car and then looking back and the car being a different model multiple times, weird sleeping positions on the bed that make no sense. All of it is death by paper cuts to me. I could forgive one in isolation and I'm rarely a picky gamer. This game just doesn't look that good in its current state.

Im waiting for a PS5 version and to see what they can fix. Currently it's looking like a game I wait to be $25.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Did nobody think the same thing with Fallout 76 and Skyrim when they first came out?
Skyrim's PS3 version was definitely hidden until release. All the reviews were 360 and PC. I don't think Skyrim had a digital download at launch, if I remember correctly.

Fallout 76, I think, was given an option for refund for the same issues. I don't think Fallout 76 was as widely publicised as this though.

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
They did the same with the first port of Kerbal, it was broken enough for a refund. Still had some 90% reviews from journalists who obviously didn't play the console version and wrote it based on their PC experience.

Historically console companies were controlling the games on their platform very aggressively because physical copies had limited shelf space, it was way too tight and they even rejected games when they were competing against their own first parties.

It went the other way with digital stores, if they want to be perceived as having fair business practices towards all developers, it means they must approve any game that passes all the TCRs. There's no TCR saying the game must be fun, or beautiful, or without gameplay bugs. As it should because that shouldn't be the role of a platform. Rejecting based on "quality" is a big can of worms. And the large third party studios seem to get a free pass with day-1 patches and a broken game on the disc, which shouldn't be allowed.

The problem here is that the game was purposefully never shown on old gen nor reviewed correctly on old gen, and that's the crass move. Any studio refusing to send a copy as retaliation for a bad review should be exposed publicly. And reviewers with a spine should explain what a "press kit" is and how some studios abuse it with requirements that are clearly unrelated to spoiler protection.

There's a risk this generation might suffer a similar problem with XBSS, but obviously much less dramatic since it's a smaller power/memory difference, same CPU, storage speed, etc... They might never have game footage of the lower target platform before launch if the presskit forbid this.
I never got a refund for Kerbal which I'm still sorta annoyed about but I did get one for Revelations 2 when the pre-order DLC broke the games licensing on PS4.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
I'm morbidly curious now, but not enough to splash out big money. The fact they're doing a free upgrade on it is making me think that by the time it's ready, this game is going to be dirt cheap.
Yah. Currently, I don't see how I won't be able to pickup a used copy in a few months for $25 or less.

I still gotta finish Demon Souls and Miles Morales anyway.

Nov 23, 2017
If these bugs are so prevalent then how is the MC and OC in the 90s? So many complaints from a user perspective but the reviews seem to feel different.

Aug 9, 2018
In fairness I don't have the game (I'm waiting for patches before I choose to dive in), but from what I have seen captured on Youtube the Xbox One X seems quite playable. Its not optimal, for certain, but it is way better than the base consoles. But I definitely recognize that the userbase for the Xbox One and PS4 is going to be much larger than that of the One X.
While it is more playable on the mid gen refresh consoles it still has tons of bugs from what I heard from a friend who has a PS4PRO, maybe the X1X is better since it has a better GPU.

Anyway my point was performance issues and bugs that makes the game unplayable for a lot of people isn't an overblown thing like what the user I quoted seems to think.

psionotic

May 29, 2019
If these bugs are so prevalent then how is the MC and OC in the 90s? So many complaints from a user perspective but the reviews seem to feel different.

Almost all of the reviews are of the PC version, which is more stable, has better performance, and is better looking than the console versions, which are a mess, especially on last Gen.

Unsurprising CDPR only sent out review codes for PC, so the console versions had to be bought by outlets on or after release date.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
I don't think people were surprised because it ran bad, a lot of people were expecting it would run bad based on all released footage leading to launch, they were surprised that it ran worse than what they were expecting (at least IMO).

Plus outside of enthusiasts most people would have had no idea at all that PS4 and X1/S versions would run so bad because CDPR never showed any official gameplay demo running on those systems.

Its not playable on PS5. It crashes constantly.