• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Can PS Now compete on a global scale with Stadia and xCloud?

• No, I don't believe they can compete on the same scale as Stadia and xCloud

Votes: 810 48.8%
  • Yes, I do believe they can compete on the same scale as Stadia and xCloud

Votes: 660 39.8%
  • Undecided

Votes: 189 11.4%

• Total voters

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
It's just a fact. I don't mean to besmirch them though. They just aren't a cloud provider with an infrastructure so they have to buy into someone else's infrastructure. They will likely be a competitor to me and google in this space.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
What's those obvious reasons?
They go head to head against each other in the console space.

So why not go to Google or AWS?

When MS used Blu-ray they did not really have a viable alternative.

Sony has options though. I don't really care at the end of the day, it's just interesting to me.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
These large tech companies aren't as short sighted as warriors to spite competition by denying infra services, that's for sure. Google, Microsoft and Sony is more than gaming.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
It's not they can't so much as it is a maaaaassive budget and time sink that bigger companies such as Microsoft already more or less are on the way to solving.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia

So long as there are no technology or intellectual property theft/leaks/etc or those things are properly protected/isolated in a deal, all that matters from Sony's end is how much they'd have to spend for those infrastructure. Who the money goes to - at that point, is negligible.

If Google and AWS offers commercially poorer deal vs MS, then going MS is a no-brainer. And if we look at the MoU that was signed between both parties, it wasn't as simple as just a "we will use Azure." deal. If everything goes smoothly, both parties benefit beyond the basic outline of the Azure.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Sony has options though. I don't really care at the end of the day, it's just interesting to me.

This article may shed some light. But it's in Japanese so you might need to use Google Translate.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

Because Google's solution is completely different than what PSNow currently uses and would create issues. We don't know what Amazon has planned but it's sounding like it'll be similar to Stadia where it's PC hardware. MS Azure/xCloud using existing console hardware matches Sony's current setup and doesn't break compatibility like starting from 0 like Stadia would.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
The company who's already had the business up and running for years, who has been making a bunch of the best games this generation, has a truly global brand, sells 80mil boxes on their worst day, a long history of general media production and distribution, and can rent the exact same technology the competitors use...

. .. can't compete because articles and social media chatter. They say there's a sucker born every minute

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
I think you are not understanding the question right. The question is can compete on the same scale as Stadia and xCloud, not can they compete with Azure or AWS.
Server infrastructure is just scratching the surface, Sony may just end up partnering with a 3rd party streaming service, software is Sony's focus imo.

grimrepo

Jan 9, 2018
Sony works in silos. It's beacuse they talk to each other properly, Apple got the jump on them with itunes even though they had the technology and the music etc. Microsoft and Google's infrastucture is ingrained across their respective organisations. This will be a lot harder for Sony to pull off or have the same adoption rate the reap the cost benefits.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
They don't have the cloud presence necessary on their own but they partnered with MS to provide azure as a solution to that. Other than that they don't seem to have the will to do it. They could bring their library to bear in PS Now but they seem so indifferent to it. Maybe that changes next gen but right now their deal with MS feels like a backup plan instead of a concerted effort.

Nov 4, 2017
Of course it's true, in the same way that both of those companies are incapable of competing with Sony when it comes to selling people consumer electronics and producing must-have exclusive content. Different platforms have different strengths.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Will be funny when all those services launch and we realize that sony will have the best games available.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
They're going to have similar infrastructure to MS at the back end. They can definitely compete.

I don't think they will be competitive though because they will starve it of content or price themselves out of contention. That's a business decision though, not a technical inability.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Considering they've entered a partnership with Microsoft, they at least got a chance.

huH1678

Oct 30, 2017
Playstation can't compete with Xbox, did you know Xbox is owned by one of the most valued companies on Earth.

owning infrastructure doesn't mean your service will dominate, the logic of some people lol

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
"Can" is different from "Will". i think if they decided to make it a priority and got approval for a bigger streaming budget from sony propee, anything is possible. sony may not have the built in infrastructure, but i believe they could get there. how long would that take, and how likely is it? i have no idea

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Of course they can. All blathering about "infrastructure" is irrelevant nonsense, datacenter clouds are open to everyone with money, and owning a cloud doesn't save you money - the opposite in fact.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
The one company with a functional streaming service actually out there and available will continue to do fine. They partnered with Microsoft for their streaming solutions so it'll only get better and they have years of experience in the field.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS Now is doing better than I think a lot of people expect it to do. I forsee that service undergoing a massive overhaul alongside the launch of PS5.

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
Undecided, because I don't actually know much about the technical stuff or anything about Sony's future plans and strategies.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
Plain and simple Content is King. IF Sony has content that people want then they hold the power. it will ultimately boil down to this.

worst case it's sold on MS platforms it's still a cut to Sony.

on a tech level though they are seemingly outplayed

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony is much more experienced at making streaming game services not work in the real world. As such I believe they can continue to stay right down with everyone else not making it a reality.

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Well they've partnered with Microsoft on it so the assumption is that even Sony doesn't believe they can.

I think there is a misunderstanding here. This thread isn't about Sony doing this independently vs the other companies. Using Azure means they have access to all the benefits that come with that platform and the reach that it does.

As some others have pointed out I think it's necessary to point out the difference between Azure and xCloud. PS now is going to be using Azure, and will be competing with xCloud

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
I think the MOU with MS and the likelihood Sony will be using Azure as their delivery infrastructure renders the main technological hurdle they had moot.

As to whether they can compete from a content delivery perspective, yes if they choose to do so. They have the content, and the capability to licence content.

They've also openly stated that PSNow will be getting a bigger marketing push, possibly ahead of Stadia and Xcloud launching.

As has also been discussed, it's the only service offering a 'Netflix' or Spotify experience - you can stream or download your content and it's an all-in-one subscription package.

As I posted in the last thread about this subject, IMO Sony's best bet would be to offer a tiered service with PS+ as a basic, PS+ & Now, and a premium offering and/or optional 'tent pole' release month premium that allows a D1 download and the option to buy the big FP releases.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
It's a simple fact they don't have the infrastructure of MS or Google. Yes they can pay for that infrastructure, but it isn't theirs.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
When people talk about Game Steaming at a global scale, they really need to reconsider the context of what they're saying.

There is only really a handful of territories where Game Streaming would even be meaningful, given the internet infrastructure in those countries. As such calling it a "global scale" is a bit of misnomer.

I don't care how many servers you have when most countries don't even have the broadband speeds to take advantage of the service in a meaningful way.

Jul 15, 2019
Don't know, don't care. I hope streaming doesn't take off and I hope Sony sticks to what is best. Shame on the media and companies that want to shove streaming down our throats.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
I'd like your opinions on this. Can Sony compete on a global level with xCloud and Staida given what they have now and what we know they're working on with using Azure? Why do you think they can compete? Or why not?

They can compete if they use third party infrastructure for their services, such as Azure, AWS or Google Cloud. :)

Dhoom

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Arguing in bad faith surrounding the Sony ban on problematic content, Long history of inflammatory drive-by posts, Previous severe infraction
Considering the gradual decline in their game quality and ruining games with censorship, no I do not believe they can compete. Stadia will probably bomb, but Xcloud will definitely take over.