• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
This all seems a bit tautological, in the 2010s AAA development does not happen without some kind of franchise plan.

I'm more interested in seeing what kind of franchise they'll be going for. Days Gone as a concept could probably carry more games anthology style, I'm not sure the current Mr Wife Died protagonist could.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
thank god that MS doesn't have this mindset and acquired Obsidian and InXile.

Thank god that Sony doesn't have that mindset and focuses on story driven single player games and is investiging in these kind of studio's for over 20 years now. They seem to be doing okay at the moment. There's something for everyone I guess. Let's be glad not everybody makes RPG's or story driven games.

MS's mindset got them 10 years behind Sony, if it comes down to exclusives. They missed that boat. Buying a 70 employee small RPG studio, doesn't change that, I'm afraid.

I'm not really jumping for joy when I see the next Obsidian game, by the way. It looks very rough and could've also came out 10 years ago. It's also multiplatform and it hasn't even got a release date yet, so that true MS exclusive is probably still 4-5 years away.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
And yet here you are. You opened the thread and took the time to post in it. Guess you are interested somewhere deep inside. I don't open threads of games I'm not interested in. Doesn't even cross my mind.

You're not wrong. I have enjoyed past Bend games (especially liked the Syphon Filter PSP games), and an open world zombie game isn't a bad concept if done well.

I guess my original point is that I hope the game is more interesting than the footage and trailers have depicted if Sony wants Days Gone to be a new franchise. And to be fair, they seem confident in it, so we'll see.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lastest EDGE and GiantBomb previews were fucking harsh! The Order Level harsh i mean!
Holy shit seems like a solid 4 out of 10 from EDGE!
After reading lastet perviews coverage of DaysGone from GiantBomb And Edge, I think it will be Days Gone!
I'm just saying keep your expectations in check. don't go into too much hype for this game.
Okay.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Must admit, it does not look that great to me personally, mainly due to it being yet another zombie survival game but I am sure it will do OK. I don't see it doing Last of Us numbers but outside of horrific reviews, it should be a solid title.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I'm not trolling, i really hope this game delivers, but we must face reality too :)!

Well you are and you're not really contributing anything when you continuously repeat yourself.

Must admit, it does not look that great to me personally, mainly due to it being yet another zombie survival game but I am sure it will do OK. I don't see it doing Last of Us numbers but outside of horrific reviews, it should be a solid title.

That's a weird take. So something can't look good if it's yet another [insert genre] game? And are there really that many narrative driven zombie games? Last one I played was Dying Light a few years back. I'm actually glad we're finally getting another SP zombie game and quite a unique one with the hordes and motorbikes. Just finished the latest TWD season, and I'm dying to play something the brings up the same feeling.

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
I don't see it scoring less then 80 by reviews and can't see it underperforming either. Unless something catastrophic happens this will become a franchise.

Deleted member 22002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A zombie franchise in 2019 is nuts. The best they can hope is for this to not bomb so bad they can forget about it and start working on something new.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Just leave the ecosystem and play Witcher with its shitty combat or wait for Cyberpunk. Plenty of games available to play.

Asking a company making shooters to make a melee game is asinine. It is not easy to switch. It would make more sense for SSM to do it than ND.

There really aren't. And I'm not playing Cyberpunk because it's first person.

As for your other point, somebody's gotta learn how to make melee games. Might as well be ND.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I don't see it scoring less then 80 by reviews and can't see it underperforming either. Unless something catastrophic happens this will become a franchise.

I'm seeing this a 78-82, I'll be there on midnight launch.

source.gif

Oct 31, 2017
It wouldn't be a problem, but they're basically doing nothing in any other genres nowadays. If you're an RPG fan, Sony literally doesn't give a shit about you anymore, and RPGs are why I went with Playstation in the first place.

Their next games are a difficult open world zombie game, a first person heist game, a creative make your dreams reality games, a forest person 10 hour superhero game, and a puzzle adventure art game where I'm painting a city to life.

They just released baseball this year and a platformer last October.

Eggman

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
User Banned (3 days): System warring over multiple topics

It's funny seeing people try to dismiss this game as "another zombie game" when they are excited for yet another Halo, Forza and Gears and excited to play a remaster of Borderlands. I guess they should have just continued an old franchise or remastered an old game, than it would be unique enough to warrant a purchase.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's funny seeing people try to dismiss this game as "another zombie game" when they are excited for yet another Halo, Forza and Gears and excited to play a remaster of Borderlands. I guess they should have just continued an old franchise or remastered an old game, than it would be unique enough to warrant a purchase.
I guess the main difference is those titles have history, so people are more interested in what news things those games could bring, especially for massive games like the ones mentioned.

I have no issues with the devs trying something fresh for them, hopefully it works out well especially with the mix of gameplay they are pushing for.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
81 - 86 Metacritic.

If this gets 90+, Sony beast form needs another transformation. The potential IP they have gathered here is insane.

Oct 31, 2017
A Witcher-level RPG or even a big JRPG would be amazing. Something to break up the cycle of cinematic third person action game after cinematic third person action game.
There really aren't. And I'm not playing Cyberpunk because it's first person.

As for your other point, somebody's gotta learn how to make melee games. Might as well be ND.

Okay, so you don't want third-person cinematic games (excluding Witcher which is third-person cinematic), but you don't want first-person games, and you don't want shooting, and you don't want Horizon 1 because it's not RPG enough, and you want melee but I guess you're not a fan of GOW. wat? You don't want third person, but you don't want first person? Do you want second-person? I mean, at this point, I'd be a bit insulted as a developer if someone told me all this. This may be why we don't have more developers posting here because that's a high level of entitlement not to want something, but to be so particular with each facet of a game, limiting what you enjoy, and demanding such a narrow band of games that you need an electron microscope to see what counts.

I get what you're saying with Witcher-level since there's considerably more gear and stats to consider as well as choices to make, but based on Guerrilla's own post-mortem on Horizon, I think they're aware of it. Have you watched it? It would probably make you pretty optimistic about its sequel, which could be balls to walls awesome with deeper RPG elements, improved human combat, and improved traversal. I loved Horizon, but I'm cognizant of many things that can be improved/introduced in the sequel.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile im hoping this is secretly Ride to Hell 2.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
I hope this game turns out very good because I don't think I will take the time to play start another open world game anytime soon unless its really great.
I haven't even finished RDR2 yet so Days Gone really needs to do some convincing.

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Have this all paid for already, yet I'm still not very excited about it, hopefully as the reviews release it gets some positive buzz.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game will probably sell well, but I don't see Sony continuing this.

It's not going to review well. The gun play doesn't look great, the open world seems bland, critics are tired of zombies, and the game isn't doing anything new except for the horde. Easy Allies impressions sounded like a 7/10 game.

I don't think that's enough for Sony anymore. They're funding less projects and are expecting the payoff to be that they're all mega critical and commercial hits like U4, Horizon, and GoW. They'll want to move on to something different.

I'm still getting it because I like zombie games, bikes and the story seems decent and my friends are into it. But I'm not gonna expecting it to be any better than another bland open world zombie game.

StealthieOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dfw
I'm considering getting the platinum headphones for 7.1 surround sound... For those that experienced 7.1 surround in video games... Is it worth it?

Prophane33

Oct 25, 2017
尾張国
I'm seeing some unrealistically (imo) optimistic predictions in this thread. No way this game gets a higher than 80 metacritic score. Will it sell well? That's up to sony's marketing, I can't see it doing Uncharted 4 numbers, but I wouldn't discount it selling fairly well if properly marketed; however, the critical reception based off previews points to a solid 7-7.5 game. While from a conceptual standpoint it seems kind of bland and uninspired, I think the core gameplay/tech-side of the game could be relatively solid. If anything I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes one of the big sleeper hits of this gen.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
It looks like a great alternative to the last of us. I hated the last of us, I thought it would be Uncharted with zombies all the time. Instead it was a game that required a lot of stealth.

Days Gone looks like the action game I was looking for orginally.

Just like Ghosts looks like my easy mode Sekiro game.

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The pulse is pretty dead for this game for me and everyone I know. I'd love to be wrong and have this be an amazing game, but I feel like there's a stacked deck against it before it comes out.

Maybe if it had released a few years ago.

Yea this seems like a bit of a late bloomer/start for the current environment. Brooding apocalyptic stuff was a hit around the 2013-2017 era but I think we have enough depression to go around for now.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so you don't want third-person cinematic games (excluding Witcher which is third-person cinematic), but you don't want first-person games, and you don't want shooting, and you don't want Horizon 1 because it's not RPG enough, and you want melee but I guess you're not a fan of GOW. wat? You don't want third person, but you don't want first person? Do you want second-person? I mean, at this point, I'd be a bit insulted as a developer if someone told me all this. This may be why we don't have more developers posting here because that's a high level of entitlement not to want something, but to be so particular with each facet of a game, limiting what you enjoy, and demanding such a narrow band of games that you need an electron microscope to see what counts.

I get what you're saying with Witcher-level since there's considerably more gear and stats to consider as well as choices to make, but based on Guerrilla's own post-mortem on Horizon, I think they're aware of it. Have you watched it? It would probably make you pretty optimistic about its sequel, which could be balls to walls awesome with deeper RPG elements, improved human combat, and improved traversal. I loved Horizon, but I'm cognizant of many things that can be improved/introduced in the sequel.

In general, it's not that I don't want third person, it's that I don't want every game to be a slow-paced narrative driven third person shooter. I've said on many occasions that I am really not a fan of shooter mechanics, because I just get really fatigued by the whole aim-and-shoot cycle for every single combat sequence. I loved Spider-Man, for example.

And to be clear, I thought God of War was fine, but I was pretty tired of it by the end. The combat mechanics just aren't really up to the level of complexity I was hoping for due to the very small number of options you get and the very, very weak enemy variety and small number of bosses (a lot of which wound up being repeat fights). A sequel with a few more weapons and some wider enemy/boss variety would be a great boon for the series.

Then go somewhere you can get the games you want?

That really doesn't exist anymore, I'm afraid.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Spider-Man 2, GoW sequel, HZD 2 and probably Uncharted without Nathan as main character, and even have a VR killer app.
Yeah, the future of PlayStation franchise rely on this one...