• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I rather they have it for the PS5 Launch in November, the console won't get delayed as we'll be in a recession no matter what

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
It all depends if they are still able to work on their games at a safe distance from each other.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone is monitoring the situation right now. Delay if necessary.
Honestly wouldnt mind TLOU 2 launching with the PS5. Would love to play that game and Cyberpunk on PS5 with better performance.

OP
OP
modiz

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Yeah, like people have said, I can see tlou2 getting delayed. No idea by how much.
But having to work from home and losing that person to person workspace probably hurts significantly, especially near the finish line.
Actually if it was right in the middle of development it would be much worse becasue the developers at ND would be stuck without mocap and VA work which they obviously cant perform right now, at least now they are working while having everything in their hands, and just need to polish what is there, not to say that this is simple, but they are mostly bound by stuff they can control at least.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
I'm expecting the PS5 to be delayed with TLOU and Ghosts to be the big late year releases instead. Business always maintain everything is going according to plan until the moment they're ready to announce otherwise.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Given the reports of inhumane crunch at Naughty Dog, people working from home would almost completely impact thier plans to meet their internal target. Now does that mean they ship LoU2 anyway or delay, I think it'll be the later. Which I hope means devs get some respite during this time, away from the toxic work environment jschrier reported on.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
pls don't delay TLoU2... I want to play that before society falls apart for real lol

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
I hope Ghosts and TLOU2 get delayed to the PS5 launch so the devs don't have to suffer the disgrace that is crunch in this anxiety inducing time. If anything it would make excitement for the PS5 even higher.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Ghosts and TLOU2 get delayed to the PS5 launch so the devs don't have to suffer the disgrace that is crunch in this anxiety inducing time. If anything it would make excitement for the PS5 even higher.

kotaku.com

Video Game Delays Cause More Crunch

These days, most video game fans are sympathetic to delays. They recognize that more time makes for better games, and that game development is too complicated for anyone to accurately predict release dates very far in advance. So after a string of high-profile delays this week, including the...

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if they'd mention, at this point, impacts on PS5 given that it's the next FY. I presume they probably would if they were knowable at this point since it is such a key product launch. But I think I'd note, for now, that 'Sony estimates that there will be no material impact on this business for the current fiscal year' doesn't quite encompass the PS5 launch timeframe.

OP
OP
modiz

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I wonder if they'd mention, at this point, impacts on PS5 given that it's the next FY. I presume they probably would if they were knowable at this point since it is such a key product launch. But I think I'd note, for now, that 'Sony estimates that there will be no material impact on this business for the current fiscal year' doesn't quite encompass the PS5 launch timeframe.
that just refers to the fiscal year thats ending in... 4 days.
so yea, this doesnt tell us anything about the PS5.

they actually say in the link that the financial report might end up being delayed because of this.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
kotaku.com

Video Game Delays Cause More Crunch

These days, most video game fans are sympathetic to delays. They recognize that more time makes for better games, and that game development is too complicated for anyone to accurately predict release dates very far in advance. So after a string of high-profile delays this week, including the...

I thought someone might link that article. Call it wishful thinking!

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
The people handling their social media are not going to be the people deciding on a delay. They'll promote the current date until told otherwise.

They also wouldn't know until the public knows.

Since Sony is a publicly traded company, any significant business impacting shifts must be announced at the same time to internal people, as to the public.
Otherwise, you run the risk of people doing insider trading and then going to jail for it.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I would imagine delays are going to vary significantly from game to game. Some devs might have already had a plan and the resources to quickly get an effective WFH solution in place, some developers might not even have the capabilities of doing it and just suspending most of the games development until things get under control.

It will be interesting to see TLOU/GoT release dates, if some of the best development studios in the world with Sony's resources behind them have to delay their games that are suppose to come out in a few months....that's not a great sign and you should really prepare yourself for alot of fairly significant delays and annual games like FIFA/Madden/NBA2k/COD having problems at launch that they normally don't have.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Personally I think the game will actually be ready in time, but they will give it a 2 weeks delay to produce enough physical copies.

I do feel that Ghost of Tsushima is getting delayed to like August though.
I don't think they would delay for physical copies when it's much safer during this crisis to digitally download a game you can carry with you to the ps5.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
They should've been PS5 launch titles anyway, I say delay them if they need it, the ps4 is doing fine, there are plenty of other games and it gives other actual ps5 titles more time as well.

There is almost no way a PS5 launch title will be as good as the Last of Us 2

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

They should've been PS5 launch titles anyway, I say delay them if they need it, the ps4 is doing fine, there are plenty of other games and it gives other actual ps5 titles more time as well.

Honestly, if they get delayed to the fall, we are likely looking at PS5 being delayed into 2021.

OP
OP
modiz

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I don't think they would delay for physical copies when it's much safer during this crisis to digitally download a game you can carry with you to the ps5.
lets put it this way, you are a huge fan of the TLOU and ND and have already pre ordered the CE for a lot of money since it was announced. now suddenly because of the situation your copy of the CE has been delayed because they cannot create physical discs right now. So you, who paid them a long time ago a large sum of money, now need to wait and get spoiled by players who got the game digitally for cheaper.

That would not go well for them.

Only 2 solutions i can see is delaying the game by 2 weeks to produce enough discs, or send each person who preordered the game a digital code.

They should've been PS5 launch titles anyway, I say delay them if they need it, the ps4 is doing fine, there are plenty of other games and it gives other actual ps5 titles more time as well
I wouldnt say ps4 is doing that well tbh, its sales has been slowing down significantly, more than have been expected.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019

They would also make excellent cross gen games.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
lets put it this way, you are a huge fan of the TLOU and ND and have already pre ordered the CE for a lot of money since it was announced. now suddenly because of the situation your copy of the CE has been delayed because they cannot create physical discs right now. So you, who paid them a long time ago a large sum of money, now need to wait and get spoiled by players who got the game digitally for cheaper.

That would not go well for them.

Only 2 solutions i can see is delaying the game by 2 weeks to produce enough discs, or send each person who preordered the game a digital code.

I wouldnt say ps4 is doing that well tbh, its sales has been slowing down significantly, more than have been expected.
Or they could just refund your money

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like all major companies are probably doing this. Even Nintendo had a COVID-19 disclaimer at the beginning of their mini-Direct yesterday.

I have no doubt that Ghost of Tsushima is not making its June release. I expect it probably in September at this point.

OP
OP
modiz

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Or they could just refund your money
For some reason i didnt think of refunds.

i still think that considering how much people are jumping over these editions it would get those who ordered quite frustrated, like i dont think that doing some digital only launch is a great idea for such a highly anticipated game.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you look at the trajectory of other countries who have gone through COVID-19 already, it seems like we will probably start returning to normalcy by mid-end of May at the latest (hopefully!). With that date in mind and the fact that China is already getting production going again, I think the consoles will hit their target. Some games may be delayed but a lot of studios are still working from home. The bigger titles coming out in the Fall are in their last leg of development and I doubt we will see much impact. If anything it may be harder to get your hands on a console due to production slow downs.

Everything just started for countries like America so don't expect anything until August.

Lacrimosis

Dec 13, 2019
partner studios is probably referring to third party games that they have some marketing/exclusivity deal for, so FF7 is included with that, but the game is already done and likely in shipping, so its not getting delayed.
No it probably means Predator, Ironman and bluepoint for example.

Deleted member 25128

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think there is a good chance TLOU will be delayed, just because of the game type. It's about a plague/zombie type infection... not sure that would go down well in the middle of a pandemic. Yes I appreciate its not the same, but people get touchy on such things.

And agree with the sentiment above about monitoring games that have come out or will do soon, remember some online stores are restricting delivery times on products, and games might also be delayed a few days, that all adds to hassle.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ff7 has already been confirmed by square not to be delayed.... But the physical copies might be.

It's a good thing we got a batch of stuff now, we'll have plenty of time

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
Are game development studios even open right now?

Atleast where I am they've called for all non-essential businesses to close, so I don't see how just about everything still in active development or QA won't be delayed.

We're luck games like ACNH, Doom Eternal, FF7, and RE3 went gold before things got bad.
I doubt it, CDPR's employees are working from home and I imagine that's the case for most studios.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
delaying wouldn't bother me. i intend to wait and play all games on PS5 anyway

Jingo

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I think sony is calculating all options, how many pre orders on digital, how many shippments to the stores etc etc.

But in the end of the day this is not a first priority thing, so i can see it getting delayed.

Resident evil is releasing in the spike of the virus, game from an asian country, its kinda funny they didnt feel the need to delay it.

FullNelson

Jan 28, 2019
Wow I didn't realize there were so many COVID-19 cases in the US. When did that happen?

Given that scenario I think it's pretty hard to keep operating the whole supply chain for the game. Even if the game is ready, you need to print copies, arrange the distribution, etc.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly at this point if they don't delay LoU2 in the next week or so, it's coming. We've almost reached the point of no return for it.

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
The corona shutdowns will definitely be impacting qa. Qa typically involves a lot of bodies, and alot of shifts, many of them on temporary contracts. I doubt that they are setup to allow testing from home, nor that they world trust the temporary workers to do so.

Deleted member 25128

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That is a serious accusation

They didn't tell me which one, and if they did I wouldn't be repeating it. But considering that a number of companies in the UK have been lax over the last week and only now (due to public pressure) closing, I wouldn't be surprised. Are you?

Note: I appreciate this is a sony studio thread, and would state that the info was not necessarily about a sony studio, but a games studio. But as people were talking generally about if studios were working from home or not .

Last edited:

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I would be more than happy for them to delay projects if it means better health and safety for their employees. They're just video games. We can all wait a little longer.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They didn't tell me which one, and if they did I wouldn't be repeating it. But considering that a number of companies in the UK have been lax over the last week and only now (due to public pressure) closing, I wouldn't be surprised. Are you?
On Sony First Party? Yeah. Considering you could see some of their devs from all over talking about how it's like to work from home.

Still a serious accusation for any studio though.

Deleted member 25128

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
On Sony First Party? Yeah. Considering you could see some of their devs from all over talking about how it's like to work from home.

Still a serious accusation for any studio though.

Updated as you replied, but no it wasnt specified, I got caught up in the whole "are game studios working from home bit". As far as I am aware all sony studios are working from home.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
Are game development studios even open right now?

Atleast where I am they've called for all non-essential businesses to close, so I don't see how just about everything still in active development or QA won't be delayed.

We're luck games like ACNH, Doom Eternal, FF7, and RE3 went gold before things got bad.

I'd say the vast majority of us are working from home - those of us in countries that shut down spent the time beforehand ensuring we had the infrastructure to continue working. Doesn't mean we're working at full capacity, but so far the industry hasn't been halted at all.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
i don't think TLOU2 will get delayed. game is probably practically done and it's just polish polish polish at this point. Neither will Ghost. Ghost already got pushed back due to the TLOU2 delay and the fact that it's releasing just one month after TLOU2, which is way sooner than i thought, that the game is ready to ship practically.

Sony's comment about PS5's launch
OP
OP
modiz

modiz

Oct 8, 2018