• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A store (any store) is responsible for the quality of the products that they sell. If a product I buy is defective, I return it to the store I got it from for a replacement or refund.

People saying Sony should have tested for this kind of thing are off the mark, but anyone wanting a refund are correct to go to Sony.

But they made you agree on the ToS if you want to continue using the service.

PAYMENTS FOR ACCESS TO CONTENT OR SERVICES ARE NOT REFUNDABLE EXCEPT WHERE THE LAW REQUIRES THAT THEY ARE REFUNDABLE.

FUNDS ADDED TO THE WALLET ARE NON-REFUNDABLE AND NON-TRANSFERABLE EXCEPT WHERE THE LAW REQUIRES THAT WE TAKE THOSE ACTIONS. WE HAVE NO OBLIGATION TO REVERSE OR REFUND UNAUTHORIZED CHARGES MADE USING ANY PAYMENT METHOD TO FUND THE WALLET. WALLET FUNDS THAT ARE DEEMED ABANDONED OR UNUSED BY LAW WILL NOT BE RETURNED OR RESTORED.

UNLESS OTHERWISE REQUIRED BY LAW, YOU MAY NOT CANCEL OR OBTAIN A REFUND FOR A PRE-ORDER OR AN ORDER FOR A CONTENT BUNDLE ONCE YOU PLACE YOUR ORDER, AND PRE-ORDERED CONTENT OR CONTENT INCLUDED IN A BUNDLE MAY BE CHANGED WITHOUT NOTICE

NOT PROVIDE ANY REFUNDS IF THE PRICE DROPS FOR ANY CONTENT OR SERVICES YOU PURCHASED, OR IF WE OFFER SUBSEQUENT PROMOTIONAL PRICING OR CHANGES TO THE PRODUCT OFFERING. THE PRICE APPLICABLE TO YOUR TRANSACTION WILL BE THE PRICE THAT WAS IN EFFECT AT THE TIME OF THE TRANSACTION

Upon receipt of any Virtual Item, the transaction is complete and non-refundable

You do not have an ownership or property interest in the Virtual Items, and you are not entitled to any refund, benefit, or other compensation for the loss of any Virtual Items

YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE A REFUND OR CREDIT FOR ANY CONTENT THAT YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO VIEW OR HAVE DIFFICULTY VIEWING DUE TO THESE UNCONTROLLABLE VARIABLES, UNLESS WE ARE REQUIRED TO DO SO BY LAW

TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE A REFUND OR CREDIT FOR ANY PLAYSTATION™ NOW CONTENT THAT YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO USE OR HAVE DIFFICULTY USING

UPON CANCELLATION OF YOUR SUBSCRIPTION OR TERMINATION OF YOUR OR YOUR ASSOCIATED ACCOUNTS, YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE A REFUND OR CREDIT FOR ANY SUBSCRIPTIONS FOR WHICH YOU HAVE PAID

UPON TERMINATION OF YOUR ACCOUNT FOR ANY REASON, YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE A REFUND FOR ITEMS (INCLUDING SUBSCRIPTIONS, VIRTUAL ITEMS, AND PRE-PAID PRODUCTS OR SERVICES), VALUE ACCUMULATED ON IN-GAME ITEMS OR ANY UNUSED BALANCE IN YOUR WALLET EXCEPT AS REQUIRED BY LAW OR AS EXPRESSLY PROVIDED IN THIS AGREEMENT

They take refunds very seriously.

Last edited:

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
The beta forcibly turned off my PS4 Pro and it wouldn't turn back on for a minute. It was pretty startling.
It crashed as an application. It didn't shut off or totally lock up the entire OS/hardware.

It didnt cause the console itself to crash though. Brad Shoemaker from Giant Bomb remarked this his PS4 would literally shutdown and then have to go into repair mode afterwards.

The game crashed, it didn't crash consoles

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyT.../no_mans_sky_crashes_nd_turns_off_xbox_one_x/

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/9l6kbr/no_mans_sky_is_completely_crashing_my_xbox_one_x/

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've had several hard crashes with Apex, but I certainly wouldn't want it removed from the store. The very rare crash doesn't take away from the dozens of hours of super fun non glitchy gameplay I've had from it. Granted it is F2P.
I know it may be a tough case if it's a game you like, but we shouldn't allow this to become something normal everyone's used to. Consoles have a closed architecture and there should be no room for major issues that can cause the console to shut itself off instead of going back to the dashboard.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
They did, that's why its not on the Switch :p

BTZ5SrI.gif

radiotoxic

Oct 27, 2017
Wow. I didn't buy the game, but I had 4 crashes during the beta (one of them being a hard crash) and thought "ofc this is still unfinished code, they wouldn't ship a game in this state". What the hell.
No.If it's just the game crashing, and it's properly sandboxed, there can be no adverse effects on the rest of the system. If the OS itself crashes, it's a different story entirely.

Source: Computer science degree.
Damn. Really? Thanks dude. Will relay this info our customer if a crash occurs in our software next time. The more you know.

Source: Lockheed

CrM5M0r.png
Hey! Thanks for upgrading the thread, from console wars to brain wars!

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
No.If it's just the game crashing, and it's properly sandboxed, there can be no adverse effects on the rest of the system. If the OS itself crashes, it's a different story entirely.

Source: Computer science degree.

Damn. Really? Thanks dude. Will relay this info our customer if a crash occurs in our software next time. The more you know.

Source: Lockheed

CrM5M0r.png

Haha.

Serious questions though, since the two of you are seemingly knowledgeable, what are the real adverse effect(s) the numerous hard-crash this game seemingly created can cause to the PS4?

Bunga

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Can someone link me to where I can access Sony live chat? I keep getting redirected to articles about refunds.

DotHair

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Good on Sony for issuing refunds for a broken product, but I wish publishers would go back to releasing their software in a finished state.

Without wanting to sound like an old man shouting at a cloud, I miss the days when you bought a disc and got a complete game!

I try and take a policy of buying games three months after launch, when they are patched and cheaper. But I get sucked into the hype and marketing quite often...I am weak!

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, what?! The game isn't crashing to the blue "sent error report" screen? It's hard crashing the whole system?! Has this ever happen to any other game?

kubus

Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow, I had this happen yesterday... I was in the middle of a mission with my friend, suddenly blue PlayStation error screen, system completely shuts down (no sleep mode). It wouldn't turn on for about a minute. I was panicking :[. Eventually I got it to turn on and it had to go into repair mode...

Man I really love this game and I don't want to stop playing but I'm playing on a freaking 500 Million LE PS4 and I don't want that thing to get bricked :((.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
In a perfect world, platform holders could expand their certification process to include additional game QA on top of the developer one. But they can't reasonably be expected to do this in our imperfect world, thus, to put it simply, Sony (or any other platform holder really) can't be held responsible for the game being messy, like crashing on a regular basis (though I'm pretty sure a game crashing every five minutes would be rejected by most platform holders' certification processes).

That being said, if the game may cause stuff like consoles hard reboots/forced shutdowns (not even talking on actual bricking), then it's on the platform holder, even if obviously the developer messed up in the first place. That's one of the missions of the certification procedures. To ensure that what should be "safe from the game" remains that way.

A buggy game shouldn't be able to crash the console.

Ikaruga

Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Maybe sony should have a type of process that required to test each game to make sure this stuff doesn't happen.
Not to defend Sony but isn't that what the developer/publisher of the game should make sure doesn't happen? Anthem is a mess on any platform BioWare is finished, another company for EAs graveyard.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not to defend Sony but isn't that what the developer/publisher of the game should make sure doesn't happen? Anthem is a mess on any platform BioWare is finished, another company for EAs graveyard.
It's BioWare's job to make sure it doesn't happen, it's still Sony's job to double check that games being released on their platform don't have major issues.

Oct 28, 2017
Seriously, people asking "hurr why game pass cert?" need to read into the cert process more. Here's an article from Rami Ismail covering it with regards to No Mans Sky: https://ramiismail.com/2016/08/patch-the-process/. Its a complex process, even more so when you consider Anthem has probably had a rocky dev schedule with cut support closer to release.

I'm not going to defend EA and Bioware here because I'm sure this game was pushed out to die so Bioware can focus on other games that EA are probably banking on, relying on peoples acceptance of other broke games to become "fixed" eventually and become profitable. It really feels like they just shoved it out the door before it was truly finished, and they'll just polish it up over the next few years at a slow pace to at least try and get the dosh spent on it out of it.

Also doesn't help that internally they've likely been juggling multiple builds, patches and otherwise due to the stupid release "schedule" held for the game. Its a total nightmare of a launch. Should have just held back a while and made sure everything was ready to fire on one day instead of trying to coax people into subbing to early access programs.

m0dus

Truant Pixel
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to quote myself here, because in the rush to the bottom most of the folks arguing about culpability have seemed to have missed it:

No dude. FQA is mandatory, but it is not a deep dive into the performance of your game. It is a very cursory look at how certain basic functionalities are implemented that impact specific elements of the average user's experience (and in the case of VR, their comfort) and ensuring that certain basic branding guidelines are adhered to. It is a short process that takes place over a couple of days, that follows a specific checklist of major use cases.

It is also completely free, unless you submit multiple times in excess of what is acceptable, which is an exceptional and rare situation.

It's not their job to make sure your online component works, or that your game doesn't hard crash 30 hours in. It's not intended to be a subsition for good internal QA, and they make that expressedly clear.

From what I know of the QA folks, they are very patient, they take their work seriously, and in my experience with them over the last couple of years, have been pretty cool. :)

It's the physical retail equivalent of making sure the game boots and is packaged correctly, and at minimum provides a functional basic experience.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to quote myself here, because in the rush to the bottom most of the folks arguing about culpability have seemed to have missed it:

It's the physical retail equivalent of making sure the game boots and is packaged correctly, and at minimum provides a functional basic experience.

I wish a mod could just sticky or at least threadmark your reply so people could realize the truth of the matter

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017

This applies to all games on Playstation. Sony has more responsibility in cases where they are both the platform holder and the retailer.

Edit: Wow was it really 2015 when I wrote this?
http://savygamer.co.uk/2015/07/16/on-refunds-quality-control-and-supply-chain-accountability/

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh wow, I had this happen yesterday... I was in the middle of a mission with my friend, suddenly blue PlayStation error screen, system completely shuts down (no sleep mode). It wouldn't turn on for about a minute. I was panicking :[. Eventually I got it to turn on and it had to go into repair mode...

Man I really love this game and I don't want to stop playing but I'm playing on a freaking 500 Million LE PS4 and I don't want that thing to get bricked :((.

What is a 500 million LE PS4?

NightOnyx

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't had very good luck with refunds in the past from Playstation, but I think I might give this a shot. As someone that has had a game crash several times for me before that totally destroyed my external HDD(Thanks Wolfenstein 2), I'm terrified this will happen again. I haven't touched Anthem since I heard about this happening, and I won't touch it until I know it's fixed. I actually want to play the game though, so I might just wait it out, but I feel so dumb for wasting money on a game that is broken and not even close to being a finished product. You would think I would have learned by now, but nope.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
How is it so bad that it forces the console to shut down? Is it a memory leak so large that it eats into the OS space causing it to crash?

Or could it be CPU threads run amok making it run too hot and the console shuts down to prevent hardware damage?

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom

I understand that hard crashing is really not great, and pretty concerning. But this post has been blowing up, with articles starting to be written and spread online, yet nowhere does this poster mention how it's undeniably Anthem that's bricked his console. 'Some game' always ends up bricking people's bricked consoles by coincidence of what they were playing at the time.

I'm not saying Anthem didn't cause it - it very well may have, but I'd say the evidence (or lack of) is low right now.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
I understand that hard crashing is really not great, and pretty concerning. But this post has been blowing up, with articles starting to be written and spread online, yet nowhere does this poster mention how it's undeniably Anthem that's bricked his console. 'Some game' always ends up bricking people's bricked consoles by coincidence of what they were playing at the time.

I'm not saying Anthem didn't cause it - it very well may have, but I'd say the evidence (or lack of) is low right now.
True. Giant Bomb's review mentioned it crashing and shutting down but not bricking the console. It could be that someone had a system destined to eventually fail and Anthem pushed it over the line. Still, it's unacceptable for the game to be released in this state.

Sony issuing refunds is pretty telling since you typically have to beg them (in the US anyway)

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
You base that on one anon poster talking about one console with zero evidence.

The shutting down of the ps4 has been reported on many times. It even happened to Brad from Giantbomb 3 times and even prompted him for the repair it does when you power it down inappropriately. This is not just one anon.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one who gets the blue PlayStation screen all the time? Like I get hard crashes in Netflix, YouTube, and every five minutes in Fallout 76. It's not entirely surprising that a game like Anthem would have hard crashes too.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Am I the only one who gets the blue PlayStation screen all the time? Like I get hard crashes in Netflix, YouTube, and every five minutes in Fallout 76. It's not entirely surprising that a game like Anthem would have hard crashes too.

You are certainly in the minority. I don't think the people reporting this problem have it happen all the time, otherwise they probably wouldn't be singling out Anthem. Brad said he has never had it happen before. In your case if it's happening with lots of applications then you most likely have a dodgy ps4. I've never seen or heard of regular hard crashes or ps4 shutting down because of Netflix and YT.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
The shutting down of the ps4 has been reported on many times. It even happened to Brad from Giantbomb 3 times and even prompted him for the repair it does when you power it down inappropriately. This is not just one anon.

Powering down =/= Bricking.

First is reported on somewhat widely, but not before your post that Anthem actually bricks hardware.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
You are certainly in the minority. I don't think the people reporting this problem have it happen all the time, otherwise they probably wouldn't be singling out Anthem. Brad said he has never had it happen before. In your case if it's happening with lots of applications then you most likely have a dodgy ps4. I've never seen or heard of regular hard crashes or ps4 shutting down because of Netflix and YT.

Yeah. I also have it jammed on a shelf with really bad air circulation, so it could be an overheating issue.

I remember some PS4 Pro games had unlocked framerates in menus, so it would fly up to like 400fps and overheat the PS4. Maybe something like that is happening.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hard crashes shouldn't happen at all, for most people they're extremely rare. I'm afraid your console might be defective and/or close to dying on you.