• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Good on Sony I guess. Kind of wish I could get my PC copy refunded. I can't even play the bloody thing. Didn't buy it directly on Origin though since it costs almost twice as much on there(not even being hyperbolic, they're charging £55 for the standard edition).

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Not only the loot, the problems people are having in this game are also RNG-based.

There are people who have no significant issues, but there are people who can't even play without the game crashing every minute. No matter the platform.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Were they rushed to get it out the door?
Possibly. It feels strange that that's the answer when BioWare had so much time to develop this game, but if the speculation that the development was restarted at some point is true then that would explain a lot about the state of the game.

This is why I'm wondering if this is just some sort of half-BS rumor. You aren't the only person I've seen try to get this refund and be refused.
I think this could be the results of simple inconsistencies with Sony's support process. There could be some percentage of their representatives giving refunds while the others don't. There's also the question of previous refunds - in the past, Sony have told people asking for refunds that they'd give a single goodwill refund. That could be what's happening here - with some reps giving no-questions-asked refunds, some giving refunds only if the player has never had a refund before, and others refusing outright. Getting customer support reps to give consistent answers can be staggeringly difficult even with the best of efforts, and my experiences with Sony support suggest that they aren't making the best of efforts.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
Possibly. It feels strange that that's the answer when BioWare had so much time to develop this game, but if the speculation that the development was restarted at some point is true then that would explain a lot about the state of the game.

I think this could be the results of simple inconsistencies with Sony's support process. There could be some percentage of their representatives giving refunds while the others don't. There's also the question of previous refunds - in the past, Sony have told people asking for refunds that they'd give a single goodwill refund. That could be what's happening here - with some reps giving no-questions-asked refunds, some giving refunds only if the player has never had a refund before, and others refusing outright. Getting customer support reps to give consistent answers can be staggeringly difficult even with the best of efforts, and my experiences with Sony support suggest that they aren't making the best of efforts.
Cool, makes sense.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this isn't a Sony versus Microsoft thing unless Microsoft are refusing refunds under the same circumstances. Has anyone seen any reports of Microsoft denying refunds?

How about EA/Origin? They have a standard refund policy for EA games, right?
Is the game causing Xboxes and PC's to shut down? Honest question, I have no idea

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Yes Sony should design a refund program by which you go online on your PS4 and upload error logs.

If they sold a defective product, customers should still be eligible for refunds. Purchases made after the patch has shipped would not be eligible for refunds related to that bug.

But yes in general I would support: No questions asked refunds within a reasonable time window (much like how the Steam policy is implemented), and refunds outside of this window when a user is able to provide error logs demonstrating that a game does not function as advertised.

I believe such policies would generate more revenue for the Playstation store, and increase customer satisfaction.
"does not function as advertised".... user plays for 60 hours in the first 2 weeks, game crashes once, full refund? I didn't know we were living in a world where everybody expects all software to be perfect. Plenty of great games have had technical issues, some times permanent (before the days of patches). And this is what, the second time in over 5 years that it's even been an issue? Seems overkill to put in policies for such rare edge cases?

GraveRobberX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I went to System > Error History > My last 2 Hardlocks

gUKpjSQl.jpg

I even had to turn of HDR cause it was poorly showing up on my screen, all blurry and washed out
Yet during closed alpha and beta was in pristine condition with the visuals

As stated by my last post, I do have a say in getting this resolved
I have the receipts to back it up

Hell no game has ever done this to my PS4, crashes yes, shutting my console down and asking database to rebuilt without me pulling the power cord, never

taco543

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fresno CA
I'm gonna try this right now, the game crashes on me regularly and there's been so many times that I can't even complete missions because the game wont give us the next objective.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
"does not function as advertised".... user plays for 60 hours in the first 2 weeks, game crashes once, full refund? I didn't know we were living in a world where everybody expects all software to be perfect. Plenty of great games have had technical issues, some times permanent (before the days of patches). And this is what, the second time in over 5 years that it's even been an issue? Seems overkill to put in policies for such rare edge cases?
A game crashing a console is not a defect?

A reasonably implemented refund policy increases sales. There is a reason that a great number of retailers offer refunds.

What is the harm in a reasonable refund policy, designed such to protect consumers from defective, low quality, or mis-advertised software, and to increase sales in general by bolstering consumer confidence?

Why would anyone be against this? "A system like that could be abused" is an argument for designing the system in a manner that minimises abuse, not an argument against having such a system.

Developers don't pay for certification. Just an FYI.
Well it's covered by Sony's cut of sales.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
The fact that people are "questioning why Sony didn't test this" is ridiculous, it should have been on EA/Bioware to have done all of this testing or taken the precaution to make sure their fucking game at least ran without bricking consoles.
It's a bit of an oversight on Sony's part that a game can even potentially brick a console. At the very least, Sony should be testing for stuff like that.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that this is even relevant is ridiculous. Sony's CS/return policy sucks.
I agree, but the more info we have for everyone to work off of, the better. People in this thread have been inspired to attempt to get refunds for this game; better that they really know what that process entails, and what its restrictions actually are.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
It's a bit of an oversight on Sony's part that a game can even potentially brick a console. At the very least, Sony should be testing for stuff like that.
A game or app shouldn't be allowed to hard crash the whole console (or phone), what could it possibly do? that part is definitely Sony's fault

You two and everyone else saying it is sony's fault because it went through cert really don't understand QA testing at all, like even in the slightest.

This game probably went through cert with no issues. Seeing as it doesn't crash every ps4, then something specific must be done to cause it, which means that it is a bug that was not found during QA work. Cert wouldn't do an in depth QA testing with every possible permutation of variables.

m0dus

Truant Pixel
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
They do - it's called a certification process and devs have to pass it to be allowed to sell on PlayStation. Devs also have to pay a lot of money to Sony to go through the certification process.

No dude. FQA is mandatory, but it is not a deep dive into the performance of your game. It is a very cursory look at how certain basic functionalities are implemented that impact specific elements of the average user's experience (and in the case of VR, their comfort) and ensuring that certain basic branding guidelines are adhered to. It is a short process that takes place over a couple of days, that follows a specific checklist of major use cases.

It is also completely free, unless you submit multiple times in excess of what is acceptable, which is an exceptional and rare situation.

It's not their job to make sure your online component works, or that your game doesn't hard crash 30 hours in. It's not intended to be a subsition for good internal QA, and they make that expressedly clear.

From what I know of the QA folks, they are very patient, they take their work seriously, and in my experience with them over the last couple of years, have been pretty cool. :)

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Sony's cert has notoriously low standards but usually hard locks are still a no no.

I wouldn't try to squeeze a refund from customer service though. Dealing with Sony on refunding anything is a dangerous game.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
You two and everyone else saying it is sony's fault because it went through cert really don't understand QA testing at all, like even in the slightest.

This game probably went through cert with no issues. Seeing as it doesn't crash every ps4, then something specific must be done to cause it, which means that it is a bug that was not found during QA work. Cert wouldn't do an in depth QA testing with every possible permutation of variables.
A store (any store) is responsible for the quality of the products that they sell. If a product I buy is defective, I return it to the store I got it from for a replacement or refund.

People saying Sony should have tested for this kind of thing are off the mark, but anyone wanting a refund are correct to go to Sony.

irishonion

Oct 25, 2017
Since having my ps4 pro, anthem was the first game to cause my ps4 to shut down.

It disconnects me first then I went to close application. It shuts down completely. Wasn't able to turn it back on until I hit change disc.

SavoyPrime

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina USA
It's happened to me twice. Also to another friend who I play the game with. Oddly, it's when we "Close Application" that it happens. You know, the same way you properly exit any PS4 game. But for some reason, Anthem chooses to want to temporarily brick your PS4. Makes no sense.

I'm enjoying the game. But I really don't like putting my PS4 at risk. Especially since it's a launch one and I have never had a game cause this before.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
A store (any store) is responsible for the quality of the products that they sell. If a product I buy is defective, I return it to the store I got it from for a replacement or refund.

People saying Sony should have tested for this kind of thing are off the mark, but anyone wanting a refund are correct to go to Sony.
when did i say otherwise? Please, I will wait for you to show me where i said sony shouldn't be giving refunds.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California

How is it not Sony's fault that a game is capable of bricking a system? Surely there's a way to prevent a game from having that sort of detrimental impact on the system itself that doesn't involve QA on a per-game basis. You'd think by this point that games would be sandboxed or something to prevent that sort of thing. At worst, you should just be crashing to the dashboard or something.

NCLI

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Yeah, I understand that. This is just my opinion, but a crash is a crash. Some are different than others, but any of them can have adverse affects on your system.
No.If it's just the game crashing, and it's properly sandboxed, there can be no adverse effects on the rest of the system. If the OS itself crashes, it's a different story entirely.

Source: Computer science degree.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
How is it not Sony's fault that a game is capable of bricking a system? Surely there's a way to prevent a game from having that sort of detrimental impact on the system itself that doesn't involve QA on a per-game basis. You'd think by this point that games would be sandboxed or something to prevent that sort of thing. At worst, you should just be crashing to the dashboard or something.

You and others have got to stop saying brick. Bricking is when your console no longer works and you need to replace it because it literally won't turn on ever again. Typically happens if you turn it off while updating firmware or the like. Anthem hasn't bricked anyone's console. Not yet at least lol

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
You and others have got to stop saying brick. Bricking is when your console no longer works and you need to replace it because it literally won't turn on ever again. Typically happens if you turn it off while updating firmware or the like. Anthem hasn't bricked anyone's console. Not yet at least lol
Others were saying 'brick', which led me to the assumption that bricking was occurring. I'm aware of what bricking is. In either case, it's bizarre that the game would be able to force the system to turn off, unless it's causing the system to overheat to the point that the system is powering down to prevent damage to components. It's one thing if that's happening due to a defective system, but it seems to be widespread enough with Anthem that it leads me to question what an app or game is capable of doing to the PlayStation 4 itself, and that potential *is* Sony's fault if software running on its platform is capable of making the system itself malfunction. On Xbox One X, I've only ever had games crash to the dashboard.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
No.If it's just the game crashing, and it's properly sandboxed, there can be no adverse effects on the rest of the system. If the OS itself crashes, it's a different story entirely.

Source: Computer science degree.

Damn. Really? Thanks dude. Will relay this info our customer if a crash occurs in our software next time. The more you know.

Source: Lockheed

CrM5M0r.png

Last edited:

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How the fuck does a sandboxed(memory/cpu) game crash the whole system. At worse it should crash to the dashboard. They gotta be pushing the hardware to the extreme to pull that off. The game should have failed cert.
Yeah this is my take. A game crashing is not Sony's problem, but straight up shutting the system down most definitely shouldn't pass certification.