• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Adahel

May 28, 2018
Spain
Sony has pushed an update today to add some PS5 features and VRR to some models. Here is the link. Is in spanish so models can vary. It would be great if a PS5 update for VRR could drop soon.

VRR me if old

GlamPrime

Banned
Nov 1, 2021
I'm torn between the A90J and Sony's soon to be released QOled. But I don't see the A90J on this list and it's their flagship 2021 model.

Weird.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Is it finally happening?? I do think we'd heard about this already though

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, now Xbox owners can finally enjoy their day one feature on their Sony TVs!!!

Come Sony, one year waiting for this shit already.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
What would be the best games to try VRR with? What PS5 games today have an uneven framerate when contrasted to their target? Call of Duty 120 fps?

PS5 does not support VRR right now so it doesn't matter

xbox series X (i assume S too?) supports VRR, i've honestly never noticed it while playing anything on my LG C1. Games already are set to run basically in vsync mode, otherwise people would immediately notice screen tearing. I can't think of a ton of games (any?) that let you run with vsync off when playing on a console, which you'd sorta need to really take advantage of VRR.

One yucky thing is you sorta have to pick between 60 fps or 120 fps, Dolby Vision/HDR, and a few other things at a system level before launching a game. VRR is sorta last in that list, and until games get a VRR mode that lets them run "50-60 fps, no vsync, try to push visuals as much as possible" I just don't see it making much of a difference for gamers. Maybe i'm wrong and just missing something, but I've had gSync for years on my PC which is a lot easier to tweak so you get 40-60 fps at high visuals and VRR (gSync) helps minimize input lag while maximizing visuals.

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
Let's see what HDTV Test's Vincent Teoh has to say about it. He's been pretty down on Sony's recent VRR efforts.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Tales of arise is definitely one of them.

Perfect example, I played this on quality mode on my series x with vrr and you'd think it was a locked 60 99% of the time. Very few areas had apparent drops, but so infrequent and rare that there isn't a need for performance mode with a vrr.

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017

xbox series X (i assume S too?) supports VRR, i've honestly never noticed it while playing anything on my LG C1. Games already are set to run basically in vsync mode, otherwise people would immediately notice screen tearing. I can't think of a ton of games that let you run with vsync off when playing on a console, which you'd sorta need to really take advantage of VRR.
Pretty sure you don't need to turn off Vsync for VRR to work, at least that is how it works on PC.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

xbox series X (i assume S too?) supports VRR, i've honestly never noticed it while playing anything on my LG C1. Games already are set to run basically in vsync mode, otherwise people would immediately notice screen tearing. I can't think of a ton of games (any?) that let you run with vsync off when playing on a console, which you'd sorta need to really take advantage of VRR.

One yucky thing is you sorta have to pick between 60 fps or 120 fps, Dolby Vision/HDR, and a few other things at a system level before launching a game. VRR is sorta last in that list, and until games get a VRR mode that lets them run "50-60 fps, no vsync, try to push visuals as much as possible" I just don't see it making much of a difference for gamers. Maybe i'm wrong and just missing something, but I've had gSync for years on my PC which is a lot easier to tweak so you get 40-60 fps at high visuals and VRR (gSync) helps minimize input lag while maximizing visuals.
You don't need to disable Vsync to use VRR.. Quite the opposite, it's recommended you have Vsync on.

VRR is obviously working in many games on XSX too. For example, Resident Evil Village (with RT enabled) which stutters constantly in some areas without VRR but is perfectly smooth with VRR enabled.

OP
OP
Adahel

Adahel

May 28, 2018
Spain
This has been happening since October 1st.
As I saw right now and looks like it droped on Spain on Dec 1st. My bad, I just check it today on my brother's TV and did a light search here to see if there was a thread about it.

Perfect example, I played this on quality mode on my series x with vrr and you'd think it was a locked 60 99% of the time. Very few areas had apparent drops, but so infrequent and rare that there isn't a need for performance mode with a vrr.
How is the framerate of Tales of Arise on quality mode? Is not locked to 30fps?

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
the link shows that its for the X900H that has already been rolling out, no?

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Missing VRR is the reason I did not buy an A90J. At this point, I am waiting for the A90K…

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Whenever Sony adds VRR will it just be for their TVs or will freesync be supported too?

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I'm sure VRR winds up being hugely challenging in terms of maintaining image quality. At a fixed frame rate you can deal with all kinds of issues around image persistence and latency in changing backlight brightness by knowing what's the right compromise for an image that's going to be up for 1/60th of a second. With VRR you never know how long a given frame is going to be displayed, so if your form of compensation is incorrect it could result in some egregious problems.

The easiest fix for this is to wait for the next frame to come in first so you do know how long to show a given image, but that adds latency, which is why Game Mode is going to be a problem.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Unless this is a new update, this has been out since around October, and yes it kills local dimming. It's a massive bummer, it seems none of these HDMI 2.1 features work right without the need to turn off some other essential feature, just rendering it all useless.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The rollout has been going on since October, & the results haven't been great so far.

Joo

May 25, 2018
it kills local dimming, fuck Sony and their bullshit promises
The only way to dodge this is to never buy stuff based on promises. There's always a possibility that a planned feature doesn't work without compromises and Sony or any other company is never going to shout stuff like this from the rooftops beforehand.

HDMI 2.1 in TVs has been a thing since 2019 and there still isn't a single model that handles full 2.1 features like 4K/120fps/HDR/VRR/eARC etc without any issues or compromises. Every single model has some problems. The whole 2.1 stuff is still in testing phase basically, and consumers are the guinea pigs.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Would be nice if they could add support for it on the PS5 now rather than pretending it doesn't exist because it's not in their TVs yet.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Other areas got it a couple months ago.

the link shows that its for the X900H that has already been rolling out, no?
They retracted the VRR update from Europe, so now they're getting it back basically.
I'm assuming it's the same as other areas.
Let's see what HDTV Test's Vincent Teoh has to say about it. He's been pretty down on Sony's recent VRR efforts.
I wouldn't expect anything different, as I would imagine this is just the X900H VRR update that other areas already got.
Unless they improved it somehow.

I'm torn between the A90J and Sony's soon to be released QOled. But I don't see the A90J on this list and it's their flagship 2021 model.

Weird.
A90J will get it a bit further out.
Their 2020 models are just getting it now, but I think that bodes well for 2021 getting it soonish.

it kills local dimming, fuck Sony and their bullshit promises
Do any LED tvs keep local dimming on with VRR? I've heard a lot of issues with most brands.
Of course, it sucks they've taken this long to get it out.

Oct 30, 2017
That fact took it until fall 2021 and it's still slow VRR rollout for Sony HDMI 2.1 TVs, which have been released since spring of 2020, still has issues and no sign of PS5 VRR, makes me think it really may be a chipset issue with the HDMI 2.1 SoC they used. :|

GlamPrime

Banned
Nov 1, 2021
Their first generation QOLED is rumored to be much more expensive than the OLED. So it's a pass from me. Maybe in a few years.

I heard the price for the 65" will be £3500 at launch and the A90J will drop to £2500 for the same size. If the QOLED is everything it's rumoured to be at that price it'll be tempting. Perhaps too tempting...

Vans

Oct 28, 2017
Japan
xbox series X (i assume S too?) ...

To the first question, yup, the XSS supports VRR. I am using a Dell S2721DGF with the Xbox HDMI cable. Since this monitor is Freesync Premium Pro, the Xbox is using it for the VRR mode. That means I am running 1440, 120hz and with the AMD direct-to-panel HDR tone mapping. Looks fantastic.

To the latter, I fully agree that more games should do it. There are two examples I can think of which pull it off extremely well.

- Guardians of the Galaxy (45~60 fps) 60 fps during cutscenes and traversal, combat is between 50 and 60 FPS. I believe it drops to the mid to high 40s during really effect heavy scenes, but it is nothing major really. The core gameplay part of the game is extremely smooth, and it is a real game changer. This game made me feel this is the way Microsoft intended the XSS to be used, with a VRR display.
- Phantasy Star Online 2 New Genesis (50~60 fps) This one was surprising, a friend told me he couldn't get it to run well at anything above 30 fps (however, he was running on a normal TV). Enter VRR. You can turn on all graphical settings and always sit above 50 fps at all times. It is very smooth, looks great and is very enjoyable. Cutscenes all run at 60, those drops to the 50s happen when you look at long distances it seems. I could see how it would be really bad on a normal display, but with VRR? It is perfect. XSS is now a perfect PSO2 station.

I have never been happier with buying the smaller box, my jaw dropped to the floor with Guardians especially. It's a huge change from the locked 30 fps mode to the unlocked mode. Really feels like this hardware has a lot of power under the hood that isn't being used to the full potential.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Would be nice if they could add support for it on the PS5 now rather than pretending it doesn't exist because it's not in their TVs yet.
I predict it will launch with GT7. Polyphony love a TV based feature and sit close to the TV people and they always have historically have no problem with having only some types of races or run at higher frame rates of resolution from the bulk of the game . It would be an ideal situation for that game in any mode that varies

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
I dont understand ... Is my LG C9 outdated/not surpported? I dont think i've tried running vrr on it.