• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even if it's Sony Corp and not necessarily SIE, I wouldn't doubt the new Epic published games from Remedy, genDesign and Playdead end up console exclusive for PS5.

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
User Banned (1 month): Console wars, long history of infractions for similar behavior
This is broader than middleware or storefronts. Sony - Yoshida in particular - is pushing for virtual events, music, movie events etc, and VR tech for the same. Epic is also pushing in this direction. I guess the two will collaborate in this area in particular going forward.

Once again, a sensible post from you in a sea of shitposters from the other camp. Keep it up.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
well, Horizon is launching on EGS and Steam.

tbh I was kinda surprised it wasn't EGS timed exclusive with how closely they've been working.
They've been working close for a long time. Since Unreal Tournament 3 with mod support and keyboard/mouse. For PS4 they allowed Epic to patch Paragon whenever they felt like it, no certification waiting and such. They could hot fix Paragon to keep up with PC all they liked and they did. Paragon got patches each week or sooner.

VivekTO

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't Sony already paying Microsoft for their cloud gaming technology IIRC?

It's all just business.
I know. My point was to highlight how all these big corporations have investments and business interests with each other than some people think.

...with the money going back to microsoft when the games are streamed on playstation now via microsoft owned azure
See above. the intent of the post. Please spare the Fanboy drivel.. i am not attacking your favorite corporate or something.

Some are really sensitive here. My apologies.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
It'll be interesting to see how this ends up affecting PS5 or other services over the coming years. it's good for them to collaborate with Epic Games closely due to UE5 at the very least, a far cry from how Unreal Engine struggled with the PS3.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
nobody seems to be able to discern the difference (the same way some can't understand, say, why Xbox doesn't have access to the entirety of Microsoft's money).

Hell, there's a patent SIE has for software and algorithms and uses of hardware that will put you in a particular spot in a virtual space during a live concert, in VR, with other people in VR in the space as well to create an immersive feeling of being at the concert. They've got big plans for the next VR headset they release, it definitely smacks of them taking a swing at turning it into a mainstream product.

Yeah. They've done 'VR' concerts already in Japan, though not livestreamed AFAIK.

The merging of virtual and general entertainment, and immersive technologies for same, is exactly in Sony's wheelhouse, is growing in profile in the current environment, and I'm sure their next headset(s) and services for same will offer a big advance in those areas. Formalising a collaboration with Epic in this context alone makes all the sense in the world for Sony, nevermind the gaming/middleware relationship.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
It's a smart investment but like others I wonder if there's something more specific to this deal for the upcoming gen. Perhaps no royalty fee for UE5 for the PS5 version (like the EGS version of games)? Sony exclusives coming to PC but only through the EGS?

Jan 11, 2020
Haha so much for "greatest innovation in hardware design ever" being an objective, non incentivized argument from Epic in that other circle jerk thread.
It is a great investment though, Epic better use that money for a new UT!

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Judging by the amount of 'I knew it!' posts here, Epics glowing praise of PS5 must have bothered a lot of people, lol.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
So if I'm reading the signs on this correctly....

Sony will buy EPIC.

Microsoft will buy WB Games.

Atari will buy QuiBi and then purchase the whole of Nintendo and rename themselves Nin-Tari-Qui-Do.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
This is good news for a continuing technical partnership as well as a solid base to create new initiatives by sharing technology standards.

Forward thinking done right.

Ha...people still think it's purely a marketing partnership. A company wouldn't give out $250m just to shout about a product.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Figured a more formal partnership between these two would come at some point. Rebrand the Epic Games Store as the Playstation Store for PC, and watch the community consensus (both here and elsewhere) change overnight.
This is probably the stupidest thing I've read in like a month

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Fair enough.

Tencent looking like absolute geniuses with their investment a few years ago.

The "small" South African company that invested pocket change into Tencent years ago literally doesnt need to do anything else now.
Their entire valuation is based on the investment they made in Tencent way back when.

1.x percent of Epic isnt really going to change the world.
Its nice for Epic to have more backing but this wont really change much, Sony studios barely use Unreal Engine whereas Microsoft studios are almost all using Unreal.
The Engine will still be multiplatform just Sony making a good investment.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Even if it's Sony Corp and not necessarily SIE, I wouldn't doubt the new Epic published games from Remedy, genDesign and Playdead end up console exclusive for PS5.

That doesn't make sense in the context of an investment. When platform holders play for exclusivity, that money is paid for exclusivity. That's what they get in return. Sony is paying $250 million for a small piece of Epic as a company. That's what they are getting in return. Why would Epic turn around and throw in console exclusivity? Out of the kindness of their heart? Because they and Sony are bros now?

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Screen the Raimi spiderman films in fortnite, POGGERS

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
People who give money to Ninja don't expect money back. Do people not understand what investing is?
I felt that it was like that, but looking at the post talking about live events I can see where that could go especially to promote movies and music. So the end of what I said fits into that. The "I can see getting licenses for UE4-5 or some kind of service." I guess I'll have a reason to install Fortnite when all these events start happening frequently.

(Thinks to self) $250mil is a ton of money. Wasn't Sony Pictures looking to be sold off?

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Why would they invest this much money on a failing company when they could fund new titles in their successful IPs like a new Arc the Lad, Wild Arms, Alundra, Colony War or Legend of Dragon?

Sony just shot themselves in the foot. The age of Sony is done.

/s, obviously, it's probably a great investment.

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
I know. My point was to highlight how all these big corporations have investments and business interests with each other than some people think.

See above. the intent of the post. Please spare the Fanboy drivel.. i am not attacking your favorite corporate or something.

ha ha ha ha... what???

one, it was a joke mate... and two, 'fanboy'... i'm an adult

take it easy, yeah

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020
This is an investment that makes a ton of sense, especially outside of games. If you want to see a solid reason for Sony being interested in giving Epic money, watch the BTS stuff for The Mandalorian. The Unreal Engine + screen tech they used is incredible.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
That doesn't make sense in the context of an investment. When platform holders play for exclusivity, that money is paid for exclusivity. That's what they get in return. Sony is paying $250 million for a small piece of Epic as a company. That's what they are getting in return. Why would Epic turn around and throw in console exclusivity? Out of the kindness of their heart? Because they and Sony are bros now?
Yes haven't you heard, Epic only said nice things about PS5 cause they were paid. Not because of any other reason... Can't be true otherwise.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Epic is about to go big in the movie/entertainment industry this is a smart move by Sony
Yup, good point. Use of it is only going to continue to expand and they're in the movie, TV, and VR entertainment space too even in addition to games so they have a good vantage point of its uses there and can see Epic's going to continue to grow.

Last edited:

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Sony doesn't need to pay a dime to put its exclusives on the Epic store. C'mon guys....

Precisely. Sony are more than big enough to put their games wherever they want. Tencent own 40% of Epic and nearly all of their games are on Steam.

An investment in Epic makes sense for a myriad of other reasons, given how quickly they're growing and the technology they have.