• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
It's not like Sony did any justice back in the PS1 era. Soul Hacker and Innocent sins never released outside Japan

And it wasn't until the anime and fighting game where the popularity of the series sky rocketed.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
This is why im against Joker in Smash, he took a spot from a Nintendo character. I don't think Smash needs Sony exclusive characters when people have been asking for picks like Waluigi & Isaac for almost 2 decades.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I wonder if the Shin megami tensei series is also important to Sony. SMTV could get ported to PS5

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Thats why i said "please" :)

SMT was also hugely associated with Playstation at some time (was).
I think only ps2 got the mainline smt games. Ps1 got 3 persona titles and a port of soul hackers. Ps2 got quite a few smt and spinoff plus 2 persona. I can't remember whether any smt games were on the PS3 though?

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully this also means SMTV, or at the very least future non-Persona SMT games, will come to PS4 and future PS hardware.

Deleted member 38706

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 19, 2018
User banned (1 day): Console Wars
Hopefully Nintendo will keep SMTV and future entries exclusive to their platform if Sony refuses to let P5 be multi-plat. Gotta fight fire with fire.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Japan represents less then 10M consoles, doubt the persona series whould do anything to change that.
I'm not saying the series is a Splatoon level hardware shifting juggernaut in Japan or anything, but Persona 5 did do really well in Japan and it did drive PS4 hardware when it came out - point being Sony are lacking franchises that can reach those levels over there.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I guess that means Persona 5 is never coming to Switch.

I still find it so strange that they would add a Persona character of a Persona game to Smash that didn't even release on a Nintendo platform.
They also must've known that everyone was going to think P5 would come to Switch.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Destiny, MGS, FF, COD and many other massive games are also very important to playstation. Sony at point even referred to Destiny as being treated like a first party game. Platform holders value their 3rd party partners.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
Is Sony funding the Persona games? Or is only the added Sony marketing like this the exclusivity reason?

I am not port begging (I don't even like persona games), but from a business view I can't get my head around why they don't port this game to other platforms, especially Switch, unless Sony let's some money rolling in.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
I don't know if money changes hands to keep Persona exclusive but Sony must treat Atlus very well.

konoka

Dec 20, 2017
Is Sony funding the Persona games? Or is only the added Sony marketing like this the exclusivity reason?

I am not port begging (I don't even like persona games), but from a business view I can't get my head around why they don't port this game to other platforms, especially Switch, unless Sony let's some money rolling in.
Porting that could make money, but porting other titles, spinoffs, all-in to next main titles or totally new games with that effort could make money too.
There are many options.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just want to be able to discuss Persona without the passive aggressive fanboy shit slinging over the status of Atlus games for once in my life

Nov 11, 2017
I still can't think of a logical reasoning besides a money bag of why persona isn't on everything under the sun. Atlus seems to just hate money 🤣 which is fine. Still gotta beat 5 I think I'm on the 6th dungeon

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Third party exclusivity is a bit lame. Ideally, both Sony and Nintendo would lose it and SMT and Persona could be on everything.

Of course, I own both so this doesn't really affect me but choice is important.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wish that would mean they'd pressure Atlus to have good representation of LGBTQ people in their next game, but who am I kidding?

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I don't think as many people would have complained about Persona 5 being exclusive after the whole Joker in Smash thing, if we actually had an update on SMTV.

Every Persona thread turns into lowkey switch port begging thread

Oh come on, there's port begging on all sides and for most exclusives. We've had people complain about Astral Chain being just on Switch too and that it would be 'better' on other platforms.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
isn't it obvious why? it's because there hasn't been any SMTV news in about two years. it's not like people are asking for persona 5 in threads about call of duty or picross. even with that, you usually see people asking for SMTV (a confirmed exclusive) on ps4 in atlus related threads. you can bet once they start actually showing the game in trailers and revealing details about it, you'll see way more of it.
not that there's anything wrong with it btw, it doesn't affect me (at least). it's just that one side is always getting called out while the other is largely ignored.

pay attention PUH-LEASE!

Oct 25, 2017
Now that we know Sony is strengthing their relationship with P Studios and Atlus, Nintendo should just foot the bill and secure exclusive SMT/Etrian Odissey rights for now and the future.

Femto0

Banned
Apr 28, 2018
isn't it obvious why? it's because there hasn't been any SMTV news in about two years. it's not like people are asking for persona 5 in threads about call of duty or picross. even with that, you usually see people asking for SMTV (a confirmed exclusive) on ps4 in atlus related threads. you can bet once they start actually showing the game in trailers and revealing details about it, you'll see way more of it.
not that there's anything wrong with it btw, it doesn't affect me (at least). it's just that one side is always getting called out while the other largely ignored.
One side getting called because the port beg happened for every fucking game announcement let's not hide it Nintendo fans are the worst and as a huge fan myself it bores me it ruined every discussion

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
P5 is the only JRPG I've played this generation. After 30 hours or so it got a bit repetitive, but till then it was really good. Hopefully they port more to the big screen.
I stopped at 21-ish. It's good, but I got so tired of reading dialogue for every single little thing and I'm sick of Morgana telling me I can't do shit I want to do. Taking a break.