• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Sony won't publish games on PC until they fall behind Xbox again. Then they'll play the good guy card and publish singleplayer games on PC.
Sorry, but this makes no sense. Fall behind Xbox in what way? Sells? Public perception? If it's sells, then why would they give away an incentive to purchase their hardware by publishing on PC? If it's public perception ... ??

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Is Sony not know for working with exclusives? They literally just bought a developer to presumably make exclusives, so what issue would Sony have with EGS?

I mean, people were pretty happy in general that Sony bought a developer recently, for whatever reason, their narrative is a little different.

Well yeah, exclusive to their platform. The equivalent would be a PC PSN, which I would prefer.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Their single-player games aren't the ones that have struggled to reach larger audiences. Those are the games selling 10m+ units. They're the games that made Sony what they're today and what sell their hardware. It's historically been their multiplayer games that have struggled. Warhawk, Twisted Metal, RIGS, MAG etc.
that's true, and clearly they're focusing on multiplayer, but I would be very hesitant to rule it out. particularly for second party games published by SIE on PS4 like Detroit, we've clearly seen that Sony is willing in some instances to allow them to come to PC. there's a general travel of direction that is more open to bringing games to PC and I don't think we should create the impression that they're absolutely ruling it out in future for games like Death Stranding or Detroit

Deleted member 27315

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
''Readyset Heroes'' like games make sense as Shawn suggested.

Give all those games to the PC library and make money to create ever more expensive AAA Exclusive(therefore polished to the system) productions.

win-win.

Donsonite

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Do we have any idea if stuff like Ghostbusters remaster and Journey will head to Steam eventually?

I guess we should assume exclusives won't head to Steam unless stated otherwise like Control, Metro, etc.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Do we have any idea if stuff like Ghostbusters remaster and Journey will head to Steam eventually?

I guess we should assume exclusives won't head to Steam unless stated otherwise like Control, Metro, etc.

Every EGS exclusive is timed. Unless it changed now just for this game (doubt)

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
My Xbox friends migrated to pc the day i told them that everything is coming to pc and they don't have to pay for online.

The same will happen to my Nintendo and Playstation Fellows incl. me. It's nice to want thing but there is no reason to lie here.

Yeah no, Nintendo will never come to PC and emulation doesn't count.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Absolutely not. It honestly shouldn't be expected from any large publisher.
It absolutely should. At this point, I expect basically any large publisher to skip Steam with their PC release. If you've got the money to pay for a major marketing campaign, why accept Steam's smaller sales cut?

Of course, not everyone's going to do that. The positive PR from being on Steam is still a factor, being in their store ecosystem has benefits - but my expectation is firmly set in companies taking the deal.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Shawn's exact quote on the issue is this
It's nice to have the exact quote, but the context in which he said those words is just as important šŸ˜šŸ˜‰šŸ˜‹:
In an interview, Shawn Layden, chairman of Sony's game studios worldwide, said exclusive titles will still be a part of the company's strategy, but that some games -- particularly multiplayer titles designed to be played on personal computers -- may see broader distribution.

"We must support the PlayStation platform -- that is nonnegotiable," Layden said. "That said, you will see in the future some titles coming out of my collection of studios which may need to lean into a wider installed base."
Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ire-spider-man-video-game-developer-insomniac

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It absolutely should. At this point, I expect basically any large publisher to skip Steam with their PC release. If you've got the money to pay for a major marketing campaign, why accept Steam's smaller sales cut?

Of course, not everyone's going to do that. The positive PR from being on Steam is still a factor, being in their store ecosystem has benefits - but my expectation is firmly set in companies taking the deal.

70/30 is the same cut Sony gives to 3rd parties on their digital store, so....?

I can understand indies making these deals (even though I still inherently disagree with "guaranteed success"), but large publishers don't need the safety net. It's pure greed in these cases, nothing else.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Not really, publishing on PC might be the reason they are publishing this at all.
If devs loose the PC audience by going with Sony they might not going with Sony at all.

this is a pretty good point. All I'm saying it's weird because this is so far from their usual mo.

Though things change really fast in this industry, and this is another showcase of that

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Yes... they did. LOL
In an interview, Shawn Layden, chairman of Sony's game studios worldwide, said exclusive titles will still be a part of the company's strategy, but that some games -- particularly multiplayer titles designed to be played on personal computers -- may see broader distribution.

"We must support the PlayStation platform -- that is nonnegotiable," Layden said. "That said, you will see in the future some titles coming out of my collection of studios which may need to lean into a wider installed base."
Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ire-spider-man-video-game-developer-insomniac
They also published all the stuff made by Sony Online Entertainment/Dawnbreak, but i'm not sure if they where officialy part of SIE proper.
No, they were not. SIE (SCE then) and SOE were two different branches of Sony Gaming Divisions iirc.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
If this paves the way for Sony to port and publish their exclusives on PC, I won't even be mad if they're EGS exclusive. Give me some more War hawk.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
That quote pretty much says it won't be only multiplayer games though.
In the quote no, but it was specified the context in which that quote was said:
particularly multiplayer titles designed to be played on personal computers
particularly multiplayer titles

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
And with Microsoft being buddy-buddy with Steam, it truly is console wars on PC.
When's Nintendo jumping in with GOG to complete the circle?
Nintendo will make their own shop, most likely with even less features than EGS. If your PC breaks you will need to call Customer Service to transfer your purchases to a new PC. Online play will require a cell phone app for chat XD

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
70/30 is the same cut Sony gives to 3rd parties on their digital store, so....?

I can understand indies making these deals (even though I still inherently disagree with "guaranteed success"), but large publishers don't need the safety net. It's pure greed in these cases, nothing else.
What? Why would any business in their right mind actively chose a worse deal?? Publishers fund these games to make money. So has no alligences in the PC space. Why would they care?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
What? Why would any business in their right mind actively chose a worse deal?? Publishers fund these games to make money. So has no alligences in the PC space. Why would they care?

Idk, to make customers satisfied?

I'm sure it will work to MS, AoE is already selling a lot. It wasn't selling at Windows Store before.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Do you know what particularly means? It means mostly. Does mostly mean only? No, it doesn't so the original post you were quoting was correct.
LOL no. Mostly means "generally", which is quite the opposite šŸ¤£šŸ˜…. Particularly means specifically. French is my native language, but come on dude... even I know that. šŸ˜‘šŸ˜…
Merriam-Webster said:
Definition of particularly
1 : in a particular manner : in detail
2 : to an unusual degree. (i.e A particularly dry summer // particularly stormy weather)
3 : in particular : SPECIFICALLY (i.e The tools were useful, particularly the knife.)

Synonyms & Antonyms for particularly
Synonyms
: especially, specifically
Antonyms: generally
Near Antonyms of particularly: altogether, basically, by and large, chiefly, largely, mainly, mostly, overall, predominantly, primarily, principally, substantially
Source: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/particularly
Cambridge Dictionary said:
Particularly
especially, or more than usual:
(i.e I was never a particularly academic child.)
Source: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/particularly
Thesaurus said:
particularly
[ per-tik-yuh-ler-lee, puh-tik- ] SEE DEFINITION OF particularly
  • adv. specifically
Synonyms for particularly
Source:https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/particularly

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Because EGS is a bad store for consumers and optics matter?
Lolol and who actually cares about that at all?
Its just a storefront. Only steam fanatics have a horse in this race.

Hell sony probably doesnt mind the bad optics because they want the PS4 to be the best place to play their games.

PC is purely an afterthought for them.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a serious question and one which might warrant its own thread but would people have a problem if Sony had their own launcher for PC that tied into PSN if it means having PC ports? No EGS, no Steam, no Xbox Store.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good for Robot Entertainment because that game was really the underdog of the first State of Play. I can't remember anyone ever talked about that game in the first party thread since it was announced in March : /

Hopefully in this case the Epic money goes to the dev, Sony doesn't really need it.
Amazing user name and avatar šŸ˜