• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Okay. What games have they produced? I don't know anything about San Mateo, but I do know SMS featured heavily on some of my favourite games 6-8 years ago like Journey, The Unfinished Swan and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, and I was disappointed when they closed down that department.
This gen? R&C 2016, Spider-Man, Helldivers and Farpoint are a few of them.

To be clear, San Mateo is SIE's headquarters, so external development is just one department at the studio (PixelOpus is also based within the studio, for instance) but that's the main NA external dev division. Sony Santa Monica and Sony San Diego have also had their own external dev divisions but they seemed to operate on a smaller scale.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
ape escape?
giphy.gif

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
SSM established a External Development Department too?
I thought they stop doing that this gen after The Order 1886.

It ended in 2016 with Bound and Here They Lie. After that key members of the external development team went on to form Annapurna Interactive

If they are foming a whole new external development & publishing team, they have big shoes to fill

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
It ended in 2016 with Bound and Here They Lie. After that key members of the external development team went on to form Annapurna Interactive

If they are foming a whole new external development & publishing team, they have big shoes to fill
Yeah but those games are not that great lol
The Unfinished Swan, Fat Princess, Journey and Flower now those are amazing games when SSM delivered some of the best PS3 games

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I've really missed smaller games like Rain coming from SIE this generation. I don't know that these changes would make those more likely to happen since it seems to be more concentrated on consolidation and external development.

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Hopefully they'll work with Media Works (or tri-Ace) to reboot the Wild Arms series.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
As long as their in-house efforts stay as great as before (not transferred to external instead), I'll be happy.

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all think sight jacking will work in VR? Or will that be puke central? Maybe they'll use a second screen functionality and you gotta move the headset up to look at your TV where the sightjacking will be. Would make it tense, but it'll be a hassle and completely take you out of the experience.

It should be find if it's not done with swooshy transitions - and the zombie/ghost/thing doesn't move too fast. I was thinking the other day just how good that could be in VR.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Japan Studio x From Software
images

Japan Studio x Kojima Productions
unreal-pt-listing-760x380.png

Japan Studio x Konami
images

Take your pick or choose all of them

Last edited:

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but those games are not that great lol
The Unfinished Swan, Fat Princess, Journey and Flower now those are amazing games when SSM delivered some of the best PS3 games

definitely lol

the games you listed were also produced and signed by the team that now is at Annapurna, they were the ones I was alluding to when saying the new division had big shoes to fill

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering how much Japan Studio worked as producers for external developed games I am surprised this wasn't the case already.

zeuanimals

Nov 23, 2017
It should be find if it's not done with swooshy transitions - and the zombie/ghost/thing doesn't move too fast. I was thinking the other day just how good that could be in VR.

If they make it set in modern times, they could make up a reason why you're able to see what the shibito see through a strange app on your phone/tablet. And to see what they're doing, you gotta look at your character's phone/tablet. Give the devices battery lives and add portable chargers as an item lol. So many possibilities.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
With Japan's covid-19 policies being relatively lax, now seems like a good time to start a new Japanese studio, just saying...