• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Sounds kinda cool for kids actually. So it's a bit like a more advanced Tamagotchi for gaming.

Sony-robot.png
unknown.png

Sony is working on a new robot technology that watches your gameplay and reacts to your emotions. It is a companion robot that is seemingly developed to help lonely gamers? And encourage them to play more games. According to the patent, data shows that when a player is being watched it boosts his/her motivation for playing the game. The patent describes the robot as a "joint viewing player." The robot will react to your emotions.

The inventor focused on the possibility of utilizing a robot as a joint viewing player who experiences sympathy with a user. For example, it is expected that the user's affinity with the robot is increased and motivation for playing a game is enhanced by the robot viewing the gameplay next to the user and being pleased or sad together with the user.

via Respawn First: https://respawnfirst.com/sony-is-working-on-a-bizarre-technology-for-lonely-gamers/

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
With this and DualSense - it really feels super neat that Sony is going after innovation and quirk.

This is very Nintendo like.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Me: *keeps dying in Elden Ring*
An AI developed to understand my feelings and emotions:
are_you_frustrated.jpg

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
astro-bot-rescue-mission.jpg

<By the way, you've died to Bloodstarved Beast 20 times already, isn't it about time to gitgud?>
<I saw the you lowering the difficulty from Normal to Easy *laughs* >

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
They've filed a lot of patent applications over the last year or so relating to robotics & drones. The latter more for 'live action' drone games in physical arenas. The former more like this, a living room device, with some more and less interesting applications. Some involve using a robot to map the room in realtime (SLAM basically), mapping real objects, using a robot for second screen projection that may be dependent on the user's gaze, projecting stuff onto controllers, telepresence for VR... loads of stuff.

nYZwM4k.png

Probably a lot of it is longer term research for a time when a household robotics/projection can be nimble/cheap/powerful enough.

I could see some toio-like systems leaning more into robotics though, shorter term.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So instead of having a sidekick in my single player action games that annoys me by talking nonstop, I will have a stuffed animal next to me in real life that annoys me nonstop while I play games?

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
LOL this thing is fucking freaky as shit looking.