• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft does it cuz they still believe in crowd hypes at trade show events. They don't want to let go of events like E3 while some people do. They love seeing the fans and hearing their reactions.
They also had to, in order to fight the funk among their fans and the common idea now that they have little to show outside of the next Forza/ Halo/ Gears, while Sony (and Nintendo) are widely respected for their studio lineup and goty-winning titles.
I mean, they knew they still would have little to show for a few years still, but announcing the studio acquisitions re-energized their fan base for a while.

Ps: and it's not a new way of doing things for Sony.

MM announced it themselves via website in March 2010, and Sucker Punch in early August 2011.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Layden did say that they would have some kind of presence in 2019, and going into the ps5 gen with insomniac as part of wws would be amazing not overshadowing anything just adding to the hype and good news.
They have had a presence, just far more spread out due to no planning around E3/PSX.
They get that effect easily enough, just saying "blah, as you all know we welcomed a new member to our family recently, this is what they have to show for PS5" there's really nothing gained from holding this for months, just waiting for it to leak.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
How about we keep things in perspective. Sony can announce FVII Remake years ahead of an actual release and the fans will go crazy or they can sit out E3 and the fans will defend their decision. So why are people criticizing Microsoft for announcing new studios at E3? What it did was re-afirm they are still here to compete and to try and stop the narrative out there that members on the forums like to spread like wildfire. Things like Microsoft no longer cares about game consoles.
You want to talk about perspective but you're making ridiculous comparisons like this? There's a pretty massive difference between Square Enix announcing FFVIIR at Sony's conference and Microsoft announcing a bunch of business acquisitions at their own E3 conference. For one, one's a game and the others are businesses. Games are the entire point of the shows, regardless of whether they're coming out soon or not. The people who follow the business side and care about acquisitions are a tiny niche crowd. And two, FFVIIR isn't Sony's game. Microsoft had complete control over when and where they made those announcements, all Sony controlled is whether FFVIIR was announced on their stage or not. If they'd said no (and they'd be stupid to do so, as it was one of the biggest announcements of the year), Square Enix almost certainly would've just announced it somewhere else.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

You may be smug but he's right. The point of an announcement is to say big fancy Tech words the general public can get confused at. The whole time during ms's reveal, it was just "oh, the same thing as Sony" or "we heard that from Sony too". That Wired interview was smart and cost way less than what ms did

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Good god, still so excited about this news.

I'm sure I'm being native but all i want is Resistance and Ratchet back.

Future ToD and Resistance 2/3 are some of my all time favorite games.

If we can get a game similar to ToD and CiT, and a Resistance with the campaign of 3 combined with the COOP and MP of 2.... oh boy.

But I know we're just getting Spider-Man 2.

I'm also foaming at the mouth at the thought of them doing other Marvel IPs!

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Sony just bought a studio that likely makes 2 AAA and a VR at the same time. Yuge get, expecting Kojima and Bluepoint to join them by early next year.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
I like that Sony didn't make a big spectacle of acquiring Insomniac. I always found Microsoft announcing acquisitions to cheering fans to be cringy.

Anyways, I'm a bit surprised that Insomniac finally decided to join Sony. It seemed like things were going well for them as an independent studio. But then again, most of their success came from collaborating with Sony.
You could argue that Xbox wouldn't normally do that, but had to in this case as they've faced criticism for their first party output this generation and needed a statement of intent.

I too am glad that Sony didn't have a big reveal about acquiring a game company, especially if that company has no games to announce at this current moment. They didn't need to, and the journalists have made it a big deal on their behalf, gaining just as much traction as an "E3 Moment" would have.

On the acquisition, it's expected but still huge. They're a very talented studio. Looking forward to what this partnership brings next (Spider-Man 2 probably)

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
As many have speculated, Remedy might be next for Sony. They're definitely waiting to see how Control performs on PS. Probably even Remedy are waiting to see how Control performs on PS4 and compare it to XBox to solidify their decision to be acquired by Sony, if such an offer is placed.

Remedy under Sony's wing, and with the budget they provide along with the creative freedom, will surely thrive.

I know acquisitions aren't generally a great practice since other platform owners then miss out on those games, but the only reason I am even suggesting this is because we've all seen how Sony's First Party Studios enjoy creative freedom (mostly) and how we get such varied, strong, single-player focused experiences from them - something Remedy has always been known for.

As a fan of Remedy's body of work (minus Quantum Break), and a fan of Sony's platform of exclusive games, for me, this might be one of the best equations.

Oh, and maaaaaaaaaaaybe Kojima Productions? Post Death Stranding's reception I'm assuming? Maybe? I dunno. I feel like a child at a candy store.

Where is all of this Remedy talking coming from?

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
Insomniac's list of ip's is world class. I would be happy with any on PS5 (actually, Ratchet & Clank AAA is my wet dream) ;)

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Where is all of this Remedy talking coming from?
Just speculation based on studio visits and some comments and it's also a pretty big stretch imo, far more likely Remedy and Sony are just working together on a PS5 game. SIE have almost always had a strong exclusive relationship with the studios they bought.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
MS' recent buying spree probably triggered Sony to finally buy Insomniac but...

"and Sunset Overdrive, an Xbox exclusive that probably won't be getting any sequels "

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I can only hope Sony revives the franchise, Spider Man is cool but Sunset Overdrive is on another level.

Big conferences are slowly becoming irrelevant for announcements likes and for big games announcements, by ditching E3 sony have shown that they don't need that type of setup to generate hype or get coverage.

They announce PS5 before E3, game over.

Lol, what will you say next year when Sony is back doing all the big conferences again, including officially announcing the PS5 on stage, and going back to E3, doing PSX and what not? This year is just an anomaly.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I feel Capcom may be too big in terms of IPs that they would want to be bought by Sony. Also, I'm really confused at all the salty and snarky comments like "Man, it's funny how people cheer for this, but not MS!"

Like seriously?

Yeah Capcom would be difficult to get, especially since they are firing on all cylinders right now (and aren't they owned by a family?).

That being said though, boy would it be a huge get for Sony. Getting Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Monster Hunter etc. under their umbrella would be big.

Imagine a big budget Sony funded MVC4.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017

"and Sunset Overdrive, an Xbox exclusive that probably won't be getting any sequels "

I can only hope Sony revives the franchise, Spider Man is cool but Sunset Overdrive is on another level.
They can do a spiritual successor if anything.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I feel Capcom may be too big in terms of IPs that they would want to be bought by Sony. Also, I'm really confused at all the salty and snarky comments like "Man, it's funny how people cheer for this, but not MS!"

Like seriously?

Yeah, I don't really see the benefit to Capcom of being owned by Sony. They're way too big for a buyout to actually be a good business move.

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Lol, what will you say next year when Sony is back doing all the big conferences again, including officially announcing the PS5 on stage, and going back to E3, doing PSX and what not? This year is just an anomaly.

I like both but I think Spiderman improved on SO in every way. If they can take SO and implement what they've learned since from SM then a SO PS5 sequel would be epic. But I think the franchise is more likely dead.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I don't really see the benefit to Capcom of being owned by Sony. They're way too big for a buyout to actually be a good business move.
A publisher getting bought by a already established platform holder would be terrible for the publisher as a whole. Sony/MS/Nintendo would have no use for the publisher side of the corporation, so mass layoffs and probably massive disruption to most studios while they get everything in line again.
Don't even need to factor in the cutting off established fanbases part.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I like both but I think Spiderman improved on SO in every way. If they can take SO and implement what they've learned since from SM then a SO PS5 sequel would be epic. But I think the franchise is more likely dead.

The core issue is just that SO's aesthetic is just so elementally unappealing. If they took the traversal mechanics from SO and wrapped them around a game that isn't so ugly to look at (Spidey nailed this), it would likely do way better.

DeathyG

Oct 27, 2017
NW Indiana
Can see Ready at Dawn being snatched up as well. They're basically Insomniac Jr.

Lots of history working together, plus a strong focus on VR and single-player games, two areas Sony are investing in the most.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Sunset Overdrive is one of my top games of this gen because it's not a serious game like the rest. It's funny, colorful with blue skies and has cool weapons like Ratchet&Clank. We need more games that don't take itself too serious.
They can do a spiritual successor if anything.
I hope so! I want Sony to do less super serious GOTY bait cinematic games.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Has Ted Price made a comment at all? He was strong outspoken about the studios independence.

he did

From the Artisans' home world to Veldin, from an alternate-history St. Louis to Sunset City, we've created elaborate worlds for more than 25 years that our characters have called home.

Today we announced that Insomniac has a new home as we join the Worldwide Studios family at Sony Interactive Entertainment. It feels more like a homecoming though. We've collaborated with Sony for more than 20 years — spanning all four PlayStation consoles, 20 total games and six franchises. We still work closely today with many of the same Sony teammates as we did when we released the original Spyro the Dragon in 1998.

The decision to join forces with Sony extends far beyond familiarity. Our studio vision is to create experiences that have a positive and lasting impact on people's lives. As we look ahead to our future, we know that joining the WWS family gives us the best opportunities to fully achieve that vision on a much larger scale. Further, we believe that Sony shares a similar vision to positively impact players' lives, their employees' lives and the games industry at large.

So today merely marks the beginning of a new chapter in our studio's growth and evolution. We're excited to put Insomniac in the best position to deliver fresh experiences for our fans for many years to come. Our structure and approach will remain intact across both Burbank and Durham, NC studios, and we will continue to cultivate our unique culture.

It's been a crazy ride for sure. Now, we're ready for the next phase of our journey, and can't wait to explore new worlds with our Sony family and loyal fans.

Until next time!

Ted

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Sunset Overdrive is one of my top games of this gen because it's not a serious game like the rest. It's funny, colorful with blue skies and has cool weapons like Ratchet&Clank. We need more games that don't take itself too serious.

I hope so! I want Sony to do less super serious GOTY bait cinematic games.

I couldn't care less for these kind of happy cartoony looney bin type of games, so as far as I'm concerned, we never hear of SO ever again. Just give me more Spidey.

Neil98

May 2, 2018
Madrid, Spain
Honestly, this was the kind of news I expected from Gamescom. Last time we got something similarly huge out of the conference was when Kojima released PT. Good times.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Is Sony really gonna splash the cash on other AAA studios? I think Insomniac is the big get and they might go after a few smaller studios but nothing like Remedy or Capcom.

Joseph

Jul 7, 2018
You may be smug but he's right. The point of an announcement is to say big fancy Tech words the general public can get confused at. The whole time during ms's reveal, it was just "oh, the same thing as Sony" or "we heard that from Sony too". That Wired interview was smart and cost way less than what ms did
I bet you think it was a "genius" move.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No lie, I feel like I've been patiently waiting like fifteen years for Sony to outright acquire them.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The coalition
Playground
Obsidian
Ninja Theory

Xboxs studios have not yet delivered a 90+metacritic game that isn't racing like Naughty dog and ssm have.
However I think there devs are caperble of it.

Only 12 years ago it was naughty dogs uncharted that was lagging behind Xbox's gears of War.

Back then suggesting that uncharted would one day be better then gears would of probably been received with the same scepticism as saying today that xbox exclusives will on day be better then PlayStations exclusives.

Time and time again the video game industry shows us that it's not predictable at all.

Sure, literally ANYTHING is possible. But people make comparisons, reviews, and predictions based on what IS right now. And the five studios that I listed from Sony are much more impressive than the five you listed from Microsoft.

Joseph

Jul 7, 2018
Undercut your competition's shining moment by putting your own next gen announcement in an interview a few weeks before E3? And that same announcement makes your competition seem like "me too"? You can call it whatever you want, but it was a masterful move.
Like you said, I can call it whatever I want. You can call it "masterful"

Oct 27, 2017
Certainly Sony and Insomniac won't sit on the Sunset Overdrive ip right? That would be the dumbest thing they could do. Spiderman was good, but it Sunset Overdrive was fucking amazing. I wonder if there is anything stopping them in porting the game to Playstation now?

Status
Not open for further replies.