• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
In all seriousness, I hope they can make Spider-Man 2 or whatever it's called special. I liked their first attempt a lot but I found the open world pretty boring. The NPCs were really bad and I hope there's a better city next time around.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
A little bummed about this since it means PC versions of their games are not a given (and I'd say straight up unlikely) now. Also since their Oculus VR games have been highlights for PCVR. I'm hoping PSVR2 is a really good headset. Good acquisition by Sony to shore up both their flat and VR game library.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I guess there's not too many people affected by this move.

Well Insomniac has basically been making PlayStation games forever so they were like a spiritual first party studio for Sony. If they were multi platform I'm sure more people would be upset. It also helps that a lot of people have a PlayStation 4 here

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Spider-Man isn't owned by Disney though. Sony still has the rights, or am I mistaken in that?

Spider-Man is a property owned by Marvel/Disney. Sony Pictures has a license to explore that property in movies, and in a completely separate deal, Marvel Games licensed the property to SIE so they could make Marvel's Spider-Man for the PS4

Oct 2, 2018
Sony pockets can fund some killer AAA games. Can't wait to see what they come up with.

Please no spiderman 2.... (we'll probably get spiderman 2).

xolsec

Feb 18, 2018
Well Insomniac has basically been making PlayStation games forever so they were like a spiritual first party studio for Sony. If they were multi platform I'm sure more people would be upset. It also helps that a lot of people have a PlayStation 4 here

Exactly, maybe some SO fans will have to get a PS to play a sequel.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Ever since Ted Price did that podcast with Shuhei Yoshida earlier this year I had a VERY strong suspicion this would happen. Their discussions about what it's like to be a Sony studio just seemed like more than casual talk.

Here's a link to that podcast for anyone interested:

Oct 25, 2017
100% this is what most likely happened. I doubt Insomniac wanted to be acquired by MS and when MS made an offer they most likely couldn't refuse, they probably went to Sony to see if Sony would go anywhere near it.

I'm not sure about this. This purchase seems like it would be way above what Microsoft paid for any studio they have acquired recently. Not a single AAA studio.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I wonder if Insomniac might have gone the VR route to sweeten the pot for a potential Sony acquisition knowing that Sony were going big on VR.

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft has been looking at PUBLISHERS and you think Insomniac is out of their range?

They tried to buy Nintendo not long ago

Like 20 years ago. Out of their range? No. What they are interested in right now? Maybe. They may have be interested, but Sony has been wanting to own Insomniac forever. They didn't need another suitor to spur them on.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I think, what this means more than anything is that Insomniac is 100% committed to making Spider-Man for a very long time.

That's the only reason I could think of. Why they would go to Sony after all their success independently. Like, Spider-Man must be their 10-20 year plan

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
The best kind of acquisitions are when it makes sense and nothing really changes. That's this one in a nutshell. Well I guess Oculus might be a bit annoyed but nobody else should care.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
What gives you that impression?

Because compulsion games have released two games, one of which has 59% meta score, the other has 67%. Theres no pedigree to the studio. I looked at the company roster and no names jumped out to me as "big name" talent. So why would someone snatch up this studio?

They either have a secret project that really got Microsoft's attention (unlikely) or microsoft was on a buying spree and took a huge gamble on compulsion because they thought we happy few was going to come together in the end. Hopefully they didnt spend too much money on it.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Why do people celebrate exclusivity? Honest question

more high quality AAA games with a good publisher. Plus gareenteed spiderman 2 and beyond.
less things like "Fuse"....

being independent is good and all, but self-publishing is not viable in the AAA space, you're gonna have to find a publisher.

Status
Not open for further replies.