• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
I love ratchet and spiderman (and sunset overdrive), but I hope this doesnt lock them into basically being the spiderman studio with an occasional ratchet game.

Raider34

Banned
May 8, 2018
United States
What if MS was never going to buy them? In a bidding war, I imagine MS would have done ok. I'm sure they would have been hesitant to buy Insomniac for the reasons I laid out. If they bought the studio, they'd have gained no worthwhile IP, and the employees could have left to form another studio as we saw with Rare. So I'm not sure MS was ever serious about buying them.
Even if there was a bidding war Sony probably had a first digit of refusal like EA did with respawn

Alright, which one of you made this?

hahahahahahhaha

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Now they should be renamed "Spider-Man factory" because that's what they're going to become.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
They fit perfectly. They have been doing some great AAA projects and some other brilliant VR games on the side. And they have partened with sony for years. Great buy, hope things work out for them!

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
Going to be completely honest, my knowledge of Sony first party studios is so pathetic that I actually thought they already owned Insomniac, so I'm not sure how to process the news that they didn't before but do now. My cross to bear, I guess.

Oct 25, 2017
Insomniac is at worst a top-three action-adventure game dev, and most of their IPs outside of Sunset Overdrive are so connected with Sony, that this is a no-brainer on Sony's part.

They've got a variety of in-house IPs to work on here, and Sony seems to be pretty open to letting their studios create what they want, so I expect good stuff from them.

Sony's in-house IP will never have the cachet of Nintendo's stuff or even Rockstar's stuff, but they continue to approach that sort of area where their in-house studios are going to have games that throw up big numbers and are artistically and critically impressive.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
About time Naughty Dog has some competition.
kZxCQSf.jpg

They've had it.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
As soon as the dotted line was signed, Sony threw insomniac into a dungeon where they will be forced to churn out marvel IP for eternity. What a shame

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
Holy fuck, they did it.
It always seemed like a logical move, but I didn't think it would actually happen. Hoping for a great partnership!

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't really blame him because that's all he's experienced on the other side.

This is pretty lazy trolling.

In the last 12 years, Naughty Dog has made one game outside of 10 Uncharted or Last of Us games.
In the last 15 years, Guerilla Games has made 2 games compared to 6 Killzone games.
In the last 20 years, Polyphony has only made Gran Turismo.
In the last 20 years, Sucker Punch has only made Sly or Infamous.

I personally believe Insomniac will make plenty of games, but let's not pretend that single IP-focused studios is a Xbox-only phenomena.
These are IPs worth fuck loads of money, of course these companies want studios dedicated to them.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All that talent Sony got with this acquisition. Incredible. Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank and Sly Cooper (IP and the studios) finally together at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.