• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Sure, why not, whats the worse that can happen if they do?
Insomniac is already halfway there, i think its one of the studios strengths, why take that away.
Sorry, I can't follow you. Why specifically Insomniac? Why stop there? Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, Bend...yeah, release all games on all other plattforms as well. Sounds good. Sony has the upfront investment, the pay-rolls, the commercial risk and they can truely shine with their services and online infrastructure to keep their 100m fanbase locked in. Hell, why does Sony even need a box?

And halfway where? Insomniac has been more than halfway a Sony 1P studio for almost 20 years. They have released one game on two plattforms and that didn't exactly set the world on fire.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You guys act like the people at Insomniac doesn't want to work on Spiderman...

If I worked on something as well-received, it'll be a career highlight for me.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CDPR aren't independent, they are own by CD Projekt who also own GoG.
The biggest indie would be Bungie I think, then a pretty massive drop to Platinum, Io Interactive, Quantic Dreams, Remedy, Ready at Dawn, Dontnod Entertainment, KojiPro and probably someone else I'm forgetting. I doubt most if any outside of Bungie would meet the big studio size though, which would be likr 300+ nowadays I think, more mid size.

That's kind of what I thought, thanks. I don't think any of the big three would now touch Bungie with a ten foot pole. They are not reliable at getting content out at a decent pace and are literally too big of a studio to make exclusive games. Remedy I am still not convinced they are worth acquiring. I'd actually like to see if anyone acquires Platinum it be Nintendo. We need a better playing field and Microsoft makes the least amount of sense. Of course ideally they would remain independant.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Were Insomniac struggling independently? Spider-Man was excellent and super successful, but can't help cynically thinking this is tit for tat with MS acquiring studios.

There were rumors that Sony was trying to acquire them several times before MS's recent moves. Whether you believe in those rumors or not is another matter.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't Sunset Overdrive a financial failure? I remember Insomniac tweeting about needing to find a publisher for SO2 if it ever happened, which would mean Microsoft didn't really want to fund a sequel because the first game didn't do well on Xbox.

I believe you're probably right, but I think the game found more favor over time. I would hope that a new sequel may have done better. I don't recall if its MS or Insomniac that own the IP for it or if MS has first publishing rights etc

Oct 25, 2017
what a shame. I'm always sad when a studio is bought by a big company, that's means that less player will enjoy future games by them.
Insomniac was the way better pick then Remedy but tons of people even myself assumed Insomniac wasn't open for being acquired

now that they have them with their diversity and experience in high quality products the only studio I feel Sony needs is BluePoint

I want Bluepoint, Housemarque and one more wildcard.

Rockstar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
US
greatness awaits again!!

hail to king!!

JsabtW.gif

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
its funny that in pretty much every generation since the ps1 acquiring insomniac seemed like a good idea for sony and it took them until now to finally go through with it. just hope most of the people stay at insomniac so we get a real solid sequel to spiderman.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
I believe you're probably right, but I think the game found more favor over time. I would hope that a new sequel may have done better. I don't recall if its MS or Insomniac that own the IP for it or if MS has first publishing rights etc
Insomniac(now Sony) owns the IP. MS has publishing rights for the first game and any sequels(or at least right of first refusal.)

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
its funny that in pretty much every generation acquiring insomniac seemed like a good idea for sony and it took them until now to finally go through with it. just hope most of the people stay at insomniac so we get a real solid sequel to spiderman.
Pretty sure Sony tried buying Insomniac multiple time. Its just that they wanted to be independent until now.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
its funny that in pretty much every generation since the ps1 acquiring insomniac seemed like a good idea for sony and it took them until now to finally go through with it. just hope most of the people stay at insomniac so we get a real solid sequel to spiderman.
That's b/c it takes two to tango. Ted Price was always the roadblock.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017

They were excited to do it, gave their boss Ted their approval, and they got to pick which Marvel hero to base their game around. Insomniac employees charted this course and they are thrilled that Spider-Man did so well, and was loved by players.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Insomniac(now Sony) owns the IP. MS has publishing rights for the first game and any sequels(or at least right of first refusal.)
They should just let SO die, no more is needed. Make a new franchise, just like Naughty Dog made TLOU, experiment while you have your pony Spider-Man making the cheddar, then all of a sudden your experiment may be the next GOW/TLOU, or a flop, but you still have Spider-Man, and people will buy and be hyped for your experiment because of Spider-Man 1 and 2.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, but this acquisition wasn't about IP imo. You need talented dev houses with the infrastructure and pipeline who can execute on IP at a high level, which Insomniac has proven they can do with Spider-Man. Insomniac was like, one of the last few AAA independent studios, and that's what they bring to the table. The ability to make AAA games with consistency and frequency. Sony has plenty of back catalog IPs themselves they may never touch again. Ultimately you need the teams making the games for the IPs to be realized, and Insomniac is a great team.

Right, but Insomniac was already basically making exclusives for Sony as it was. The only major exception was Sunset over drive which they only went with MS because Sony wanted to own the IP. Since then they've made ratchet and clank and Spider-Man exclusively for Sony and their next game is the exclusive Spider-Man 2. Sony was already getting the exclusives. This is similar to MS buying Playground games. It makes it official without really changing anything. If the Insomniac employees all quit tomorrow, Sony would have bought nothing, not even a significant IP. Maybe they were worried MS was going to buy them, but the reward for this purchase seems low to me, otherwise.

Sum.Mischief

Jun 24, 2018
It's all about the relationships. Sony and Marvel have a great relationship. Going forward anything in Marvel's catalog could be available for future games.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User banned (1 day): system wars. Previous related infraction.
Right, but Insomniac was already basically making exclusives for Sony as it was. The only major exception was Sunset over drive which they only went with MS because Sony wanted to own the IP. Since then they've made ratchet and clank and Spider-Man exclusively for Sony and their next game is the exclusive Spider-Man 2. Sony was already getting the exclusives. This is similar to MS buying Playground games. It makes it official without really changing anything. If the Insomniac employees all quit tomorrow, Sony would have bought nothing, not even a significant IP. Maybe they were worried MS was going to buy them, but the reward for this purchase seems low to me, otherwise.
The reward is that now MS can't get them and thats all that matters.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Makes sense, I imagine its in a bit of a limbo unless Sony pays out for those rights?
Yeah, although those publishing rights very well could have an expiry date with those rights reverting back to Insomniac (now Sony) one day. Microsoft could also just approve of a PS4 version, they've shown they don't really care about older exclusives coming to other platform and with no chance of a sequel on Xbox platforms they might as just well approve a PS4 version and grab a cut of the profits.

Kingdizzi

Banned
Aug 11, 2019
Is there any information about how big Insomniac is? I ask because their output is fucking mad, they have released a lot of games this generation like VR and full AAA games as well, Spider-Man for example rivals anything out there in production values and I think they managed to make the game in 3 years. Which is mad when you think that most AAA games are taking 4-5 years these days.

They have to be huge and I don't think there is any chance they will become a Spider-Man only studio, they will also keep making other games on the side like VR and what not. The VR dabbling they have done is probably another reason why Sony wanted them, but Sony at the end of the day has always wanted Insomniac as a first party.

I don't think any $$$ was too big for Sony after Spider-Man, the game has done way too well and Spider-Man 2 is probably their game with the most potential for PS5. It will move a lot of hardware for them and at the end of the day, that is why exclusives exist.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
That's kind of what I thought, thanks. I don't think any of the big three would now touch Bungie with a ten foot pole. They are not reliable at getting content out at a decent pace and are literally too big of a studio to make exclusive games. Remedy I am still not convinced they are worth acquiring. I'd actually like to see if anyone acquires Platinum it be Nintendo. We need a better playing field and Microsoft makes the least amount of sense. Of course ideally they would remain independant.
Bungie also got a 100m from a Chinese publisher, so even less likely without even factoring their size, which is like 600+ I think.
I'd be shock if anyone but Nintendo got Platinum if they decided to sell, Square would be the only other I could see, but Platinum are pretty much in the spot Insomniac where with Sony, so can see them being happy flip-floping between Square and Nintendo.

I'm actually most interested in Google, I feel the big 3 are all pretty sweet now, but we know very little about Google's 1st party.
Dontnod would make a great get for someone I think, increase their output and they could fill the TellTale void, without making the same mistakes, the rest I'd prefer stayed Indie if possible.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
The reward is that now MS can't get them and thats all that matters.

What if MS was never going to buy them? In a bidding war, I imagine MS would have done ok. I'm sure they would have been hesitant to buy Insomniac for the reasons I laid out. If they bought the studio, they'd have gained no worthwhile IP, and the employees could have left to form another studio as we saw with Rare. So I'm not sure MS was ever serious about buying them.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What if MS was never going to buy them? In a bidding war, I imagine MS would have done ok. I'm sure they would have been hesitant to buy Insomniac for the reasons I laid out. If they bought the studio, they'd have gained no worthwhile IP, and the employees could have left to form another studio as we saw with Rare. So I'm not sure MS was ever serious about buying them.
Then it would have been Google, Epic or any other large buyer. Now sony gets them permanently. Its all that matters. Future proofing before the threat exists.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Is there any information about how big Insomniac is? I ask because their output is fucking mad, they have released a lot of games this generation like VR and full AAA games as well, Spider-Man for example rivals anything out there in production values and I think they managed to make the game in 3 years. Which is mad when you think that most AAA games are taking 4-5 years these days.

They have to be huge and I don't think there is any chance they will become a Spider-Man only studio, they will also keep making other games on the side like VR and what not. The VR dabbling they have done is probably another reason why Sony wanted them, but Sony at the end of the day has always wanted Insomniac as a first party.

I don't think any $$$ was too big for Sony after Spider-Man, the game has done way too well and Spider-Man 2 is probably their game with the most potential for PS5. It will move a lot of hardware for them and at the end of the day, that is why exclusives exist.
256 full time staff (announced at 2019 GDC talk)

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
One has to wonder if MS was sniffing around and Sony knew about it so they snatched Insomniac up before someone else would.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

also now that sony is paying the bills they can expand and maybe work on two games at the same time. pretty sure sony would trust in their ability to pump out 2 solid titles at the same time.

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome news. I remember hearing how much Insomniac enjoyed their independence, but after the success of Spider-Man this is probably a really smart move by Sony. Good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.