• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they don't get stuck just making more Spiderman sequels.

Insomniac is a big developer with several studios that are working on several games at the same time. I'm sure with Sony's full support they will be able to do both, making more Spider-Man games and work on other games.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh i was kinda hoping those remedy rumors were true. Sony would give that studio time and money they deserve
While I'm looking forward to trying Control, Remedy hasn't proved that they could make a fun game in awhile. Remedy needs a team that can do this. I think their games are beautiful artistically and technically, but gameplay wise it's been some time since I've seen a Remedy game that actually looks fun. But I hope the rumors about Remedy developing a PS exclusive are true, because I'm curious what they could come up with with Sony. If the rumor is true and that game ends up being successful, then I guess we'll see?

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
lol what? Insomniac owns Sunset Overdrive, Fuse, Song of the Deep, Edge of Nowhere, The Unspoken, Feral Rites, an unannounced new IP called Strangelets, and their announced new IP Stormland
Dude...... Seriously? Those are nothing ips that will probably never get sequels. And Sunset Overdrive was my game of the year in 2014. I love the game but it sold terribly as did all of these games. The ips have no value. That's what I meant by 'no ips'

(I will buy a sunset overdrive 2 day 1 though if it did happen)

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
this feels like the most natural acquisition in the world. Really hope we get a new ratchet game next gen (and not a quark spin off)

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What I hope this means is more cross talk between insomniac and naughty dog. That used to be a big thing back in the PS2 days and from what I understand it pretty much stopped happening. Now they're finally in bed with the same publisher, I can totally see that collaboration in tech and design spark up again.

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
The big surprise is that it took them so long to close the deal, I can see Sony was on panic mode after having MS buy studios left and right, heck Imagine the offer IG got from both sides.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
They finally got their big hit and they got the money. Super happy for them, this is great news

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Given Insomniac was the on the upswing post Spud-man 2, their acquisition could not have been 'inexpensive'. Furthermore, I am surprised that Insomniac did not bargain to keep their IPs to themselves as part of negotiation now that they had the leverage of aforementioned title's success.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, that's a huge get. With Sony now owning the SO IP, hopefully this means we'll see SO2 in the future.

abady-25

Oct 27, 2017
The reason SO didn't come to ps was Sony wanted to own the ip. Insomniac said no. MS was cool publishing the game without owning the ip. Insomniac owned the ip.

they refused sony to own the IP
then sony bought them to own the ip

D_Mr6a8XYAAjGIC.jpg:large

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Makes a lot of sense with their long history working together. Congrats to the Insomniacs.

They can finally make some PSVR games. Maybe with an Oculus partnership to port their recent games over.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
We should expect some PSVR output from this deal, and that's a good thing.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I do agree with those saying surprising yet not surprising. I always associated their games with PlayStation anyway.

Sunset Overdrive...hmmm. Wonder what happens with this.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Still kind of surreal that the devs behind Fuse and Sunset Overdrive are going to be a Sony first party studio. What a weird niche get for Sony. Maybe they'll catch up to Microsoft now that they're adding weird indie studios to their roster.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, this came out of left field. They're a perfect match , i've always associated Insomiac with Sony.
Yeah, never really saw this coming any time soon given how many times Insomniac has delayed over the years, though it'd probably been a while since the last time they'd discussed it, they've been wanting to pick them up for a while too thanks to how well they've clearly worked together for so long, so it's good that it's finally official. Should have happened a while ago really, but at least it's finally done.

A1an

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I am supprised this had not happened years ago, going to be interesting to see what is in the works.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This makes me super happy and sad at the same time.

Does this mean Sunset Overdrive will get a PS4 release or even a potential sequel?

edit: I wonder if Sony bought them because Xbox tried to acquire Insomniac and Insomniac wanted to give Sony the first bid/option to buy them.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
I do agree with those saying surprising yet not surprising. I always associated their games with PlayStation anyway.

Sunset Overdrive...hmmm. Wonder what happens with this.
IP is owned by Insomniac. It was part of the deal they had with MS to publish the first game. Since they went to other studios and it was one of the things they wanted (owning the IP) that couldn't be agreed upon.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
And now they finally got it lol
Seems Sony REALLY wanted Sunset Overdrive.

Tbh people saying we'll never see a SO sequel now were hardly in much chance of it happening if they'd stayed indie anyways. So it makes no difference there. I mean if anything the chance of getting one may have just gone up now but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
Personally I would love for them to make the next Sly Cooper game.That IP seems like a perfect fit for them.
Sony also owns the original developer of Sly, Sucker Punch. On top of that, they already had another team develop a pretty faithful fourth entry. I do not see Insomniac as first, or even second choice for that.

Donthizz

Oct 26, 2017
Wonder when they started negotiating. If it's after Spider-man, insomniac got paid. gg Ted Price for not selling the studio few years back.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Seems Sony REALLY wanted Sunset Overdrive.

Tbh people saying we'll never see a SO sequel now were hardly in much chance of it happening if they'd stayed indie anyways. So it makes no difference there. I mean if anything the chance of getting one may have just gone up now but I wouldn't hold your breath.

I'm not really interested myself. I rather they make a new Resistance

Status
Not open for further replies.