• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
it's interesting to think about but Spider-Man quite possibly gave Sony the ultimate leverage over Insomniac; Insom got their hands on one of the biggest IPs of all time and got themselves a mega hit, but it was Sony's rights to make the game. Meaning, in the most hardball move possible, Sony could always take the sequel to another studio. That's a pretty big bargaining chip. It's probably also the thing that kept Microsoft from acquiring them.

That's a good counterpoint. I'm not sure how it works in practice. Like does Sony pay Insomniac MORE for the next Spiderman than they would've for another Resistance or Ratchet and Clank? How much of the blockbuster sales go back to the developer vs the publisher?

I was originally thinking that Insomniac's value might've skyrocketed to ANY publisher with comic book rights. Like if you want to make an X-Men game, Insomniac and Rock Steady are probably the top teams you'd want to sign. It might not be so smart to buy a studio at their absolute peak value.

It's true that Sony could take Spiderman to another team, but it probably hurts Sony more than Insomniac unless a robust profit-sharing deal is in place.

xinoart

Oct 27, 2017
Fuse was on multiple consoles. Insomniac has always followed the money, and it just so happens that Sony funded many of their titles, then EA (for a multiplatform title) and then MS for SO. Song of the Deep was also published on multiple consoles.

I didn't miss what you said, I just provided information you seem to have missed.

Honestly I thought Fuse was just for the PS3. I didn't care about it since they changed the design more than halfway through developement so it looked mediocre at best so I didn't follow it since then. Same with Song of the Deep. I also don't know what game they made with EA either. Apparently I don't pay attention to games that bore me LOL.

And no I'm not disagreeing with you, just saying I had no idea about a handful of games.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just now I saw this thread. Wow!

I honestly thought Insomniac wanted to remain independent. It seems Druckmann made them an offer they couldn't refuse.

Teddie28

Nov 2, 2017
I'm curious how Disney/Marvel are reacting to this news. If they are fine with Spiderman continuing to just be on Sony or if they wanted to go multiplat with it for even more sales.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Nice.

This is like one of those times you see two people together constantly and you're like "you guys dating?". And they say "no". Then they move in together.

Good match regardless.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Remedy are actually another perfect fit for Sony actually

I'm hoping they don't. Remedy is a perfect fit for them, and that's the problem IMO. If there's one negative thing you could say about Sony's first party this generation, and there's not much because they've been absolutely fucking stellar this generation, it's that their first party studios definitely have a similar boilerplate.

I want Sony to diversify their output, and Remedy would simply give them another third party narrative driven game, which they already have the studio infrastructure to support.

Hitokiri03

Oct 25, 2017
Good acquisition for Sony and congrats Insomniac.

I'm not a big fan of acquisitions, but at least Sony doesn't make a show from it.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Sony out here buying big studios, but still can't spend the money to R&D a better functioning controller. Come on now.
Do you like envision this as a boardroom scenario where it was either 'better functioning controller' or acquire developer and the controller just couldn't muster enough votes?

They have nothing to do with one another.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Sony my boys, you done good. Congrats to Ted and the team at Insomniac, you deserve the best. Can't wait to boot up my PS5 for some Spider-Man 2.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that MS did not buy a studio of this size is very telling. There is a lot to read into it.

To me, it just confirms that they have no interest in buying AAA studios. They want their new AA studios to turn out games as fast as possible so they can be added to GamePass on regular intervals. Their new studios should allow them to do this at a rate of a game every 3/4 months or so.

A studio the size of insomniac would normally take 3 years to make a blockbuster AAA game. These games still sell like hotcakes on Sony's platform. The MS games of this size have largely struggled recently, hence their emphasis on the GP model.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
And another prominent independent studio is acquired 😞
This is pretty much going to be the industry going forward. I think we are seeing consolidation of the gaming industry. I believe you mentioned this would happen a year or so ago.

Good for insomniac. Spider-Man was great.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The fact that MS did not buy a studio of this size is very telling. There is a lot to read into it.

To me, it just confirms that they have no interest in buying AAA studios. They want their new AA studios to turn out games as fast as possible so they can be added to GamePass on regular intervals. Their new studios should allow them to do this at a rate of a game every 3/4 months or so.

A studio the size of insomniac would normally take 3 years to make a blockbuster AAA game. These games still sell like hotcakes on Sony's platform. The MS games of this size have largely struggled recently, hence their emphasis on the GP model.

This is wrong on nearly every level

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
Somehow this is shocking yet surprising. They've done great work for Sony in the past, and this is just a continuation of that. Hopefully the team and be pumped up into two, so I can get my Ratchet fix much quicker.

Wonder what happens to their VR stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.