• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenjovani

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit!! This thread has been running and I didbt see it!! Yoooo thts crazy, now thts how you do an acquisition!!!

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This has been a long time coming. I hope this means we're likely to get Spidey 2 and new Ratchet and Clank games sooner.

Oct 31, 2017
Both of those franchises were always going to be locked to PlayStation since they're owned by Sony.

Spider-man is not owned by Sony.

Didn't Marvel approach Sony though?

A truckload of Microsoft money can change minds. Not saying it's happening, but if the worry and urgency to buy IGs was because of MS waving its wallet to get Spidey's developer....well they can still get the license.

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
This is an amazing get for Sony considering just how efficient Insomniac are, they do a damn good job of getting game after game out on a consistent basis.

Happy to have them as part of WWS and the Sony family.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, they were basically already a first party studio for Sony anyway. Anything of any significance that they've ever done was on the PlayStation. 'Twas bound to happen at some point.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a waste TBH, they were making 90% Sony games anyways. If Sony wanted to expand their catalogue they should have brought another company into the fold. Or expand their existing ones/build new studios.
This secures all of their games being PlayStation only, and Spider-Man alone is a system seller. Insomniac is a well known, proven developer. Seems more risky to acquire a developer that hasn't made a game as big as Spider-Man. Insomniac are so big they could work on multiple big games at once. It's a perfect acquisition for Sony tbh considering the relationship they already had.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a waste TBH, they were making 90% Sony games anyways. If Sony wanted to expand their catalogue they should have brought another company into the fold. Or expand their existing ones/build new studios.

Thats not really how these things work. It's not all that different from MS buying Playground. There is value in expanding your internal software studios by bringing in hundreds of talented developers that you have an existing relationship with. Yes you were always going to get Spiderman 2, but Insomniac has the resources to produce a lot more than just that. The market is increasingly turning into one where platforms are less about pure hardware and more about services that are being driven by exclusive content. I know this isn't the "sexiest" purchase, or a "megaton" or whatever the fuck, but this ain't collecting baseball cards.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think this move was about expanding their catalogue as much as supporting a team that's consistently supported them for the better part of two decades.

It is absolutely about expanding their catalog. Future generations will be about storefronts and subscriptions and if Sony wants to be competitive they need to have the content. Sony can't afford for PlayStation to not be tier 1.

The same stuff that's happening in film/tv will/is happening in games.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017

sony are looking into more acquisitions

Pretty surprising. I'm assuming Insomniac had to cost hundreds of millions of dollars? Guess they're more than willing to go big. Exciting times! I'm guessing the belief that they'll acquire Remedy games may have some validity to it? I assumed studios like Insomniac and Remedy were off the table given their value for independence, but maybe studios are reading the landscape - and seeing that it may be too difficult to be studios for hire.

Sebalt

Oct 28, 2017
That's fuckin' huge! It always felt like a Sony studio, glad to finally see that happening.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Buying 1 (of like 4? Insomniac, Bungie, KojiPro maybe?, Io Interactive maybe? not sure how big those two are) of the last big AAA independent studios is a megaton imo. Even if they were basically already a 1st party.
Bungie wanted independence again after years making Halo. They just announced that D2 was moving to free to play. Do you really think Sony would invest in them knowing they're not exclusive?

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Outside of Sunset Overdrive, Insomniac was pretty Sony exclusive for its history of big games.

Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
Finally, as a Playstation fan Im very happy. I've been so afraid that some other developer or publisher was going to aquire them in this current market

Thekiddfran

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Pretty surprising. I'm assuming Insomniac had to cost hundreds of millions of dollars? Guess they're more than willing to go big. Exciting times! I'm guessing the belief that they'll acquire Remedy games may have some validity to it? I assumed studios like Insomniac and Remedy were off the table given their value for independence, but maybe studios are reading the landscape - and seeing that it may be too difficult to be studios for hire.

Remedy are actually another perfect fit for Sony actually

Chris McQueen

Self-requested ban
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
London
Hell yeah, now PC versions of their games will never happen. AWESOME!!!!
tenor.gif

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Good get for Sony, makes a lot of sense. Lot less doom and gloom in this thread than other acquisitions as of late though. Can't imagine why..

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That was the thinking for years, but Microsoft is opening its wallet to gain exclusives. Sony is probably battening down the hatches to cement themselves as an exclusive factory going into PS5. Spider-man selling well probably sweetened the deal.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I doubt Kojima would want to be nailed down again, plus I have a feeling Sony is putting considerable money into his operation, so I don't think he's going anywhere. David Cage has proven to be a bit more wishy-washy.
QD got a big investment from a Chinese mega corp, so probably not looking to sell for a while.
Because it doesn't involve many actors. Who needs to know that Sony buys Insomniac? A couple of lawyers on both sides, the owners of Insomniac and the big bosses on the side of Sony. Plus some Sony executive passing at Insomniac wouldn't surprise anyway, because they are their primary publisher. It is easy to keep it silent.
Tell that to MS. Though I guess that's more a leaky ship on MS part, as THQ keep it under wraps usually too.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Great we've got a Sony studio and Epic Games in North Carolina now. Fuck me. Two corporations I hate in my state.

That aside congratulations, I really can't think of a better home for Insomniac than with PlayStation. Make Ratchet And Clank 2 now.

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
I wonder what the chances are that Microsoft tried to buy up Insomniac with an offer they couldn't refuse and Insomniac went to Sony to see if they would match it.

Insomniac has had a good relationship with Sony for decades and until recently, studio independence was something they valued heavily. After Spider-Man, publishers would have been chomping at the bits to publish Insomniac's next game which makes me wonder, why now?

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Surprising, but not at the same time. The writing was on the wall for a long time, and ultimately it won't change things up too much.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely amazing get by Sony. They compliment them so well too.

Let's hope they can do some other projects alongside Spiderman too!

Status
Not open for further replies.