• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I know they are tied to Sony for obvious reasons, but a majority of their releases the last few years were on other platforms. I mentioned this in the other thread but it'll be interesting to see if Sony continues their out put or focuses them more on 1-2 major releases like they do with some of their other marquee studios. Spiderman 2 seems obvious, as does continuing Ratchet, but they also have a lot of VR experience which should help if Sony wants to continue to push VR (or a PSVR2) with PS5.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
From Ted Price's statement

image-1.png

YOU FORGOT FUSE
Paying homage to the boxart, it was cropped out of the image.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I have so many questions, but the one that sticks out the most to me right now: what happens to their partnership with Oculus?
The partnership probaby ended a few months ago as far as signing up to develop new games for them but they'll still release the games for Oculus as planned. I'm glad, Insomniac should have been developing for PSVR years ago.

WAIT.
Does this mean I'll be getting PSVR games from Insomniac instead of being strongarmed into Oculus now?
Yep, I believe that is what will happen for sure.

Hope it doesn't affect their VR game
They will finish what they're contracted to, and then start working with Sony.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holy fuck. Makes sense, but I thought they liked being independent
At a certain point, it's the responsible and right thing to do for your employees to take a cash buyout from a company like Sony. I'm sure a lot of longtime Insomniac employees are very happy today, and congrats to them.

Oct 28, 2017
makes sense, Sony brings the best out of studio's like Insomniac. Hope they can reach new heights now that they have full access to sony's development resources and tech.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
For the love of god is it possible we can finally get Sunset Overdrive 2 now!?! Might be overkill for them personally though since Spiderman is kinda close to that same type of game.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Kudos to the OP for making the original thread title, that got a genuine laugh out of me. Shame it's been changed.

For the most part, not too shocking given Sony and Insomniac's close history, but I do recall one of the studio leads preferring Insomniac being an independent studio. Wonder what happened to that. Did they change their mind or they're since stepped down/been replaced?

Last edited:

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Damn. Impressive!

I just hope they don't get turned into a Spider-Man studio. While Spider-Man was good, they are talented devs and have made some amazing games.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Nice, I guess it makes sense for them. I hope that this will eventually give us Sunset Overdrive 2.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah this is really exciting news, Insomniac is a great team and really excited to see what they bring to playstation. I wonder if they'll still work on a lot of VR stuff?

KiDdYoNe

Oct 25, 2017
HOLY SHIT.
I was hoping and praying and doing all kinds of things. Great addition to the family.
Congrats to both parties!

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats to them. Hopefully they can convince Sony to greenlight Sunset 2, i'd be beyond pumped.

Oct 31, 2017
Well after Spider-man sold like crack I knew this was eventually gonna happen. It's Insomniac's most successful game by far, they'd be stupid not sign a contract with Sony after that success. Congrats to Sony and Insomniac.

ImaLawy3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
I love exclusives on platforms. I know that people tend to hate it and want to see games across all platforms, and while I believe there is a place for that I think having exclusives not only differentiates a platform but it also applies a different kind of pressure and quality on those platforms. It's great for competition and and good for the consumer (albeit we have to buy more than one console to appreciate it).

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Shocked it took them this long, look at their history and all those exclusive Sony titles... Spyro, Ratchet, Resistance, Spider-Man...

Status
Not open for further replies.