• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Like with any program like this or similar, I always say job placement assistance is also needed.

Training and mentorship is great, but sometimes folks need help getting their foot in the door. Long story short I lost a good paying full time job in 2013, and a family services program helped me get back on me feet. Fast forward to today, and I'm close to making what I was in 2013.

It was a long road, and what helped me the most was the job placement assistance they provided. That and getting a certificate in the A+ field, even if I didnt finish. They pointed me in that direction, a free program for low income folks I had no idea existed. (If I try to get back in now its gonna cost me thousands, lol. That its a regular certificate class that has slots for low income ppl is nice.)

That said, major props to Sony for doing this. Some ppl last year said they could do more than just donate money. Well, here you go.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
This is wonderful, but I wish more could be done to combat a lot of the implicit bias that happens in the recruiting/hiring process.

I have what's considered a Black first name in the US (though I'm mixed and pretty ethnically ambiguous looking), and wanna guess how difficult it is for me (someone who is established in the industry at this point) to score interviews even with companies who tote "Diversity and Inclusion"?

Magically it's way easier in Europe where my name doesn't carry quite the same stigma. I'm half-tempted sometimes to try and use my (more "white"-sounding) middle name instead and see where it gets me.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
This is wonderful, but I wish more could be done to combat a lot of the implicit bias that happens in the recruiting/hiring process.

I have what's considered a Black first name in the US (though I'm mixed and pretty ethnically ambiguous looking), and wanna guess how difficult it is for me (someone who is established in the industry at this point) to score interviews even with companies who tote "Diversity and Inclusion"?

Magically it's way easier in Europe where my name doesn't carry quite the same stigma. I'm half-tempted sometimes to try and use my (more "white"-sounding) middle name instead and see where it gets me.
They did a study at the university of Toronto about this (in Canada of course) called "why do they prefer to interview Matthew and not Samir". I don't remember for black folks, but for Spanish sounding names, I'm about 35% less likely to be called for an interview with an identical resume, let alone any bias that plays at the interview if they notice an accent or ethnicity.

It's bullshit, and some white non-immigrants have advised to change my name. I say, fuck that, a company that has that bias even before hiring is not a place where I want to be. It may be harder to find work, and sometimes circumstances force us to make hard choices, but in the long term it's far better for you, your professional development and mental health.