• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
You really need to look at the context behind how and why some games took so long .
HZD took 5 years ( started after KZ3 with a small team ) because it was a new IP and the team was also working on KZ SF .
Part 2 will take a shorter while not only because they have certain things down but because GG has double in team size to over 300 plus people .

Same thing for GOW which took a while to reboot and team also lost members because of the cancel IP and now building back up .

Then there is IG who are masters of getting out titles in a very fast time .
Spidey took them 4 years and that was them starting from nothing .
Now they have a whole bunch of assets and gameplay systems down .
I would expect spidey 2 in 2021 or 2022 the latest .

Also ND don't take that long to make games .
UCLL was a PS3 length UC game and TLOU 2 would have come out 3 years later if not for COVID 19 .

I think what you are missing, is that unless Sony is willing to compromise on the quality of thier games, I doubt they are going to push thier tentpole titles out the door early, especially with how things went this gen. Sony 1st party was incredibly successful, and garnered rave reviews for games because this didn't cut corners, they finished games, and polished them up to Nintendo standards, but with industry leading visuals.

Like, I think they will have to push some titles out the door, just like they did with PS4 to get themselves rolling, and they might have an ace or two up thier sleeve, but I expect them to copy thier strategy from last-gen, and cook a large amount of content for 5-7 years each.

With regards to game timelines:
- Uncharted 4 released 2006, Last of Us 2 will release 2020. Do we expect them to spend less time on thier next game, with new tech and significantly greater art requirements?

- Killzone 3 launched 2011, Horizon launched 2017. I've also heard 6-7 years from knowledgable people before. Once again, this is a huge open-world RPG, they will be upgrading their technology, do we expect them to really second less than 4-5 years? Maybe, but I doubt it.

- Insomniac, I'm not entirely sure. Sunset Overdrive 2014, Ratchet and Clank 2016, Spiderman 2018. I think they definitely could have the ratchet team working on something. On the other hand, perhaps the ratchet team got folded into Spiderman? I expect Spiderman 2 to be thier highest priority, and I could see that taking at least 4-5 years given Sony standards.

Oddly, while Polyphony digital is know for taking ages for sequels, I could see them taking GT sport, and perhaps finally use outsourcing to pump out a fleshed out GT7 quicker.

I can also see Sony Japan studios having at least one or two games in the works for launch or close to it.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I think what you are missing, is that unless Sony is willing to compromise on the quality of thier games, I doubt they are going to push thier tentpole titles out the door early, especially with how things went this gen. Sony 1st party was incredibly successful, and garnered rave reviews for games because this didn't cut corners, they finished games, and polished them up to Nintendo standards, but with industry leading visuals.

Like, I think they will have to push some titles out the door, just like they did with PS4 to get themselves rolling, and they might have an ace or two up thier sleeve, but I expect them to copy thier strategy from last-gen, and cook a large amount of content for 5-7 years each.

With regards to game timelines:
- Uncharted 4 released 2006, Last of Us 2 will release 2020. Do we expect them to spend less time on thier next game, with new tech and significantly greater art requirements?

- Killzone 3 launched 2011, Horizon launched 2017. I've also heard 6-7 years from knowledgable people before. Once again, this is a huge open-world RPG, they will be upgrading their technology, do we expect them to really second less than 4-5 years? Maybe, but I doubt it.

- Insomniac, I'm not entirely sure. Sunset Overdrive 2014, Ratchet and Clank 2016, Spiderman 2018. I think they definitely could have the ratchet team working on something. On the other hand, perhaps the ratchet team got folded into Spiderman? I expect Spiderman 2 to be thier highest priority, and I could see that taking at least 4-5 years given Sony standards.

Oddly, while Polyphony digital is know for taking ages for sequels, I could see them taking GT sport, and perhaps finally use outsourcing to pump out a fleshed out GT7 quicker.

I can also see Sony Japan studios having at least one or two games in the works for launch or close to it.

They won't be compromise .

Yes GG took 6 years to make HZD but you have to look at what the team was doing .
So for GG it's KZ3 2011 ( small team on HZD and other cancel new IP ) , KZ SF 2013 ( HZD goes in full production) come out in 2017 .
Also 150 plus people work on HZD and now there 300 plus and GG wanted to bring out games faster that is why they double the team size.
So even if HZD 2 come out in 2021 that is near 4 years with a team double in size during that time.

It the same for ND they made UC4 2016 ( took 2 years because of the reboot ) , UC LL ( which is the length of PS3 UC game that took up the team ) 2017 and TLOU2 in 2020 .
I expect there next game to take 3 to 4 years max since they now near 400 people.
Games taking longer to make and becoming bigger yes but that is why all of Sony teams growing so they keep out put to 3 to 4 years per game.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I want them to show some games so much. I don't care if they take long to release.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah they announced too much in 2016/7 and alot of stuff got delayed. Glad they scaled back and are giving themselves room to breathe.

Also, I fully expect first party games to be made at quite a bit quicker pace on PS5 given their focus on SSD and such. Based on Cerny's talk and dev comments, optimization should move quite a bit faster

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Horizon, GoW and Spidey were all new games on new engines.
Those games will have sequels on PS5 and it will be quicker to make because engines will be itaration of the existing ones.
I think the first year line up will be way more interesting than this gen.
Ghost and TLoU was announced way too early.

Rikster

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Jun 24, 2018
California
They announced everything back in 2016 and I'm sure they won't till PS5 launch gets closer, they'll have a PlayStation direct or something.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
I'm glad someone made this thread because it's been annoying me for awhile. In retrospect, Sony's done a pretty good job a spacing out their releases and keeping fans engaged so lack of announcements doesn't really matter. I wonder what would happen if you told people back in 2017 that all of the PS4's major 1st party games had been announced.

jrb

Nov 9, 2017
Might as well add Concrete Genie for being a major game in the bullied children drawing on walls genre
If someone wanna live in the fantasy world where sports games are not major, there's nothing I can do.

And the other 2 are pioneers and major projects in the biggest leap ever for videogames.

Exactly like Concrete Genie, yeah...

Jan 3, 2019
If someone wanna live in the fantasy world where sports games are not major, there's nothing I can do.

And the other 2 are pioneers and major projects in the biggest leap ever for videogames.

Exactly like Concrete Genie, yeah...
A game doesn't suddenly become major because it's related to VR, else there would be 500 major VR games. Those games are average sized at best.

And if you want to live in a fantasy world where releasing a sequel to an yearly sports game is a big accomplishment, there's nothing I can do.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They were definitely going overboard with the early announcements, but I think they may have overcorrected. I feel like they could at least show us one first party game if the PS5 is releasing this year.

Plus:
Gears
Halo
Assassin's Creed (7 in total)
Resistance (4 if we count the Vita game)
Ratchet & Clank (6 if we count the downloadable games)
and I'm sure I'm forgetting plenty.

This gen, I don't think there's been a single traditional trilogy anywhere. With Sony, Knack is leading the pack with 2 games. Even releasing 3 games has become tough outside of franchises like MLB and Call of Duty.

Assassin's Creed has seen four new entries but yea, definitely different times compared to last gen and before that.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Imagine being able to play TLOU2, cyberpunk, Horizon zero dawn 2 (I hope) and Ghosts of tsushima day 1 on PS5.

If these delays keep happening, Instead of going out PS4 with a bang I will embrace PS5 with one of the greatest launch games in history.
Imagine delaying all those and every game ever releasing on PS5 until the launch of PS6. Would be an even better launch! No one will care about the news drought then.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not assuming bad faith. It could also be a lack of perspective or a skewed focus 🤷‍♂️
You literally said ragging for the sake of ragging.

OP: Yo ... Sony hasn't announced a major game in years. (Perspective or focus doesn't make this statement less true)
Era: So, what's it matter, they're still ahead of everyone and maybe they're just prepping the PS5 so shut up. Lol

That's what this thread is.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
For better or for worse, Sony's strategy is announcing games early and take advantage of the hype for as long as possible.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
PS5 reveal will be like a charge shot that has been charged for 3 years.
On our faces.

Oct 1, 2019
I think it's the combination of announcing games too early and longer game development. They're ok for now but I don't know if this strategy would still work next generation.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The rumours go that the PS5 was originally planned for 2019. Which would mean, cancelled plans or not, software was most likely being developed as early as 2017 and possibly already completed.

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
They make a lot of money and that's good for them but Sony's (and pretty much every other first or third party's) PS3 output was a lot better both in terms of quality and quantity

The Maverick

Oct 27, 2017
Feels like Sony has mismanaged some good will with skipping E3, the unusually final intimate E3 they did have, 3 years since the last major announcement, and caginess about certain PS5 details. Not to mention cross play shenanigans. I'm not excited for the next generation at this point. Just give me an all white system on day one.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Console wars
Sony can back up the hype with great games. What you can't do is cancelling your hype game (Scalebound) and releasing average titles by franchise standards (Halo, Gears).

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I didn't realize it was a question that so heavily on caveats. From my understanding, Sony has announced two AAA games for PS5, and both announcements were made just recently too. But for this argument to exist we have to shrug off reality and pretend that Sony's bread and butter, ie leveraging IP to build mindshare and maintain momentum can only be done under certain circumstances. Or as it's later framed in this thread, only games made from studios they own can be considered.

My response was based on games they've announced and are coming to their platform. Because in reality, or should I say the broader public, that's how a Sony game is defined.
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. The thread is about Sony's output as a publisher, not games that happen to be on Sony's platform.

Anyway, yeah. Half way through this gen, Sony shifted towards announcing games early. This worked well for them, despite numerous delays.

I feel Insomniac in particular will prove to be an important studio for them going forward. A fantastic developer with great efficiency.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. The thread is about Sony's output as a publisher, not games that happen to be on Sony's platform.

Anyway, yeah. Half way through this gen, Sony shifted towards announcing games early. This worked well for them, despite numerous delays.

I feel Insomniac in particular will prove to be an important studio for them going forward. A fantastic developer with great efficiency.

My point is that I didn't realize that "Sony hasn't announced" is an argument based on very specific caveats. And more importantly, outside of this thread those specific caveats don't seem to exist, anywhere.

We're in the tail end of a generation where Sony has utilized games they don't publish or develop to incredible effect. Capturing mindshare and building momentum to the point where the broader public sees a game like

SFV
Nier Automata
Detroit Become Human
Final Fantasy Remake
Nioh
Bloodborne
Etc etc and etc

As PS games, period. And they're not digging into the fine print about exactly who published it. I mean, right now there are still gamers who think Destiny and a host of other PS marketed games are PS exclusives if you care to check the relevant forums and sub reddits.

Oct 27, 2017
This is an interesting observation, especially given the recent news that the PS5 launch library will be smaller than the PS4.

Oct 30, 2017
They still have two major AAA games coming for PS4... then the cycle of first party studios will ends for this gen and start another with the reveal of fully PS5 with the upcoming games for it that we will hear announcements for them for the next couple of years as well.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP
OP
klik

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Quite possible in less than 1 month Sony could be dropping some huge game announcements. Big Sony studios had 3+ years to "cook" some great games for PS5

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
In 2017 they had the second most game awarded of the year.
2018 the most awarded plus the most awarded VR one.
2019 the most awarded.
2020 at least one GOTY contender.
Yeah they havent announced many games but their pipeline since their last announcement has been insane.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Yeah no ND and SP we know what they're doing. Put Japan Studio in there though.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
When was the last time we got any hint about that new "secret San Diego" studio?

edit - found this timeline with a simple google search:

Timeline for PlayStation's not-so-secret, AAA next-gen studio in San Diego
This is about the studio situated within the Greater San Diego area that despite evidence of their existence being known since early 2018, PlayStation has still not officially acknowledged they exist. No name, no game (yet).
Let's start at the beginning.

In March 2018,
Former Naughty Dog Quentin Cobb joined an unspecified Sony studio in the Greater San Diego area as Senior Game Designer. His most notable work was as Level / Combat Designer for the multiplayer modes of UC4 and TLOU at Naughty Dog but he also worked on the single player campaigns for both titles as well. He left Naughty Dog to join Daybreak Games and worked on Just Survive as Combat / Level Designer, before rejoining Sony once again in this new studio.

In April 2018,
David Hall joins the same unannounced studio in the Greater San Diego area in the role of Game Director. He previously worked at Double Helix Games, which was acquired by Amazon in 2014. Previous works includes Scripter, Designer and Character Designer for Silent Hill Homecoming and Killer Instinct on Xbox One (back when the studio was independent) and then Game Director for Amazon's cancelled eSports brawler called Breakaway.
Here is footage of Breakaway. Think combat system of Power Stone, class system of LOL, and the psuedo-sport setup of Rocket League: https://youtu.be/EcAf4kXaMYA

In April 2018,
John Bautista joins the same studio as Senior Designer. John also previously worked at Double Helix Games as Senior Character Designer for Killer Instinct on Xbox One and as Designer for Splatterhouse.

In December 2018,
A job posting for Visual Arts Service Group - also situated in the Greater San Diego area - posted new job positions for an unannounced AAA third person action adventure described as "The next chapter of cinematic storytelling." Up until that point, Visual Arts has been a support studio for all of PlayStation's first-party games, handling cinematics, animation, motion capture and performance capture for all of SIE's first party games. Now, they have a new game dev team who will be working alongside a major PlayStation studio. Speculation has been Naughty Dog.

Still in December 2018,
A gameplay engineer posting had the following info "Sony PlayStation is building a new game development team in partnership with VASG," further adding "This high visibility project is being developed in collaboration with a major Sony development studio. Though currently unannounced, we have a clear vision and plan to release. The new game development team will leverage our existing expertise and premier talent, guaranteeing a high visual quality bar for the title."

In January 2019,
James Martinchek joins the studio as Lead Gameplay Animator. His previous work includes Gameplay Animator at Naughty Dog on the Uncharted and The Last Of Us games. He then joined Rockstar Games as Senior Animator on Red Dead Redemption 2. Quentin Cobb welcomes him in a tweet.

Skipping ahead to February 2020,
Quentin Cobb, known as Q-Train on resetera, had a reply of "Dude, I hope so" to a post hoping their studio is finally added to a follow-up topic on SIE's WorldWide Studios. https://www.resetera.com/threads/pl...t-se7en-whats-in-the-box.171852/post-29427046
Clearly, he's itching for their existence to finally be acknowledged and whatever they're working on be given the spotlight.