• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
That's true. Hopefully they learned their lesson and won't announce things so early again. Over three years from announcement to release is ridiculous!! I prefer Nintendo's approach. While they have announced things too early (Metroid Prime 4), most games are announced within a year of release. Nintendo doesn't often have to delay games because they're announcing games closer to release and have a much better idea that they will release on time.
Nintendo is having a completely opposite problem right now imo. I normally am fine with them holding their cards close, but we're four months into the year and they've announced fuck all for 2020. It's a bit much imo.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Theyve announced plenty of games since. The problem is that people always ignore their non AAA outings.

ajszenk

Dec 6, 2017
When was the last PS3 game announced for them from one of their studios? Curious how it compares to PS4 lifecycle

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
Sony has a history of announcing things waaaaay too much in advance. Fanboys buy into that, so they keep doing this.

Oct 24, 2019
yep it's concerning. the lack of games is putting me off buying a PS5. if it wasn't right before next gen it wouldn't be so bad but any new IP is going to have to do a lot to convince me to stay with playstation. at this point what's the difference between sony/microsoft with their new IP? the only exiting games i'm concerned about would be TLOU + Horizon. if there is a TLOU3 it won't be for years and i'm not sure i'd pick up a PS5 just for Horizon 2.

What does this mean?

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they have...but I have a hunch they will in the course of this year announce quite a few. ;)

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Sony announces early "hype! Omg"

Sony showcases the same games over a period of years "I don't know why they announce games so early.. they have nothing else in the pipeline?"

Sony takes years to announce something "arrogant Sony is back"

Things take time, plus normal game dev is 4-5 years.. cmon some of y'all should know better by now.

Athrum

Oct 18, 2019
I'm totally ok with that. I've been getting a steady stream of good games and there's 2 major first-party games still coming this year (we hope).

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Publishers don't announce that many big games each year. And Sony is full in preparation mode for PS5.

Microsoft announced the following AAA games since 2017:
- Halo Infinite (2018)
- Forza Horizon 4 (2018)
- Gears 5 (2018)
- EverWild (2019)
- Hellblade 2 (2019)

Well, and Flight Simulator (2019)

So, not that big of a difference.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
It's really annoying announcing a game 3-4 years in advance.

It's cool the first day (in fact that's a lot of times the best day) and the last, not the years in between.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
It's really annoying announcing a game 3-4 years in advance.

It's cool the first day and the last, not the years in between.
Let's play devils advocate, let's say Sony stays quiet for three years.. how would the gaming public react?

you have to give folks something to look forward to even if it's years away, trailers and "promises" actually move consoles.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
This is my biggest *issue* with the PS5 right now. I'm not sure they're going to have a lot of exciting exclusives in that first year. I'm really hoping I'm wrong though, and I could be.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I mean how else do you expect them to get their PS5 games ready? These things take time

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I think a lot of it is because they blew their load at E3 2016 then PSX. If it wasn't for that they probably would of drip fed throughout the years.

Wouldn't be surprised in 2021 they just blow out a bunch of games again.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Let's play devils advocate, let's say Sony stays quiet for three years.. how would the gaming public react?

you have to give folks something to look forward to even if it's years away, trailers and "promises" actually move consoles.

Yeah, but it's still annoying. People never expect 3 years in advance when there's an "dateless" announcement. Always sucks after.
But I'm biased, since most games I like take much less people and time to make.
And Sony isn't even the worst offender in this aspect, imo.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Sony is also making PS5 exclusive games, so there you go. They won't announce those games until they reveal the games and PS5 visuals. Why spoil it before a big reveal?

Nov 2, 2017
I mean they didn't take longer almost all of their exclusives were announced when they were TBA on release dates.

It was stupid of them to do it then, and it's stupid now. I'd rather not know about the game till it's done or show me more then TBA.
Games do take longer to make than last gen though. A lot of first party studios only released like half of the amount of games they released last gen.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
In 2017 it was pretty clear those were going to be the final round of PS4 games before PS5 launch.

But not hearing anything else until mid-2020 would have been nuts to any of us at the time yeah.

Were it not for Coronavirus, we would likely have a launch lineup announced by now. Gonna be waiting a few more months probably.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, I think almost every first party studio aside from Naughty Dog and Sucker Punch are working on PS5 now.
They are both probably working on their PS5 games to some extent. ND would have had pre-production going on for a while since they originally planned to be done with the Last of Us in February.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I'd rather have a few, very good games than a bunch of mediocre ones.

Plenty of games in my backlog to play in the meantime.